Home | Community | Message Board

Kratom Eye
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Air Pump

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineMoon_Tea_Brewer
Stranger

Air Pump Technology
    #4356190 - 06/30/05 06:15 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

I've recently been researching different types of air pumps and possible solutions to automating air exchange in a multiple fruiting chamber-type setup. One of the most promising pieces of equipment I've seen so far is a fish tank aquarium air pump, called the Hailea 9630 adjustable. It has eight different ports and seems to be an excellent solution when paired with a 24-hour electric timer. A description of the 9630 device can be found at this address:

http://www.customaquatic.com/customaquatic/subsubcategorypage.asp?subcatindexid=ap-ap-lg

Along with shipping, the cost of the pump is about $50. I thought I'd check with those of you here at the shroomery who have had some success with setting up air pumps for multiple fruiting chamber setups and get your opinion on the subject.

Another possible solution I considered was buying a plug-in air pump designed for inflating boats and matresses. The only problem with this pump is that it has only one outlet. With the right equipment (a separate chamber for distributing air from the single outlet to multipe outlets and lots of plastic tubing) this problem might be resolved, but I am unsure if it would actually work. It seems the key would be to restrict air flow to create positive pressure, but I have little knowledge of aerodynamics.

Any comments/suggestions on what I should try?

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinelemon_lw
Stranger
 Arcade Champion: Rotation

Loc: That Way
Re: Air Pump Technology [Re: Moon_Tea_Brewer]
    #4356205 - 06/30/05 06:18 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

i wouldnt do the whole matress pump, way to loud.

--------------------
In the belly of the Leviathan, one can either despair and perish, or be cheerful and persevere.-Dean Koontz

OfflineTrooper454420
Stranger
Re: Air Pump Technology [Re: lemon_lw]
    #4356216 - 06/30/05 06:23 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

the fish tank pump i got for my pmp from walmart was decently cheap and came with some little t-valves. I suppose you could get a real strong fish tank pump and just split the tubes using said valves however many times you need and seems reasonable as the air supply will be cut in two by each division. just a suggestion.

OfflineMoon_Tea_Brewer
Stranger

Re: Air Pump Technology [Re: lemon_lw]
    #4356223 - 06/30/05 06:26 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Yes the sound from the matress air pump could be a problem, but air exchange for a large M setup might require an air pump stronger than those designed to bubble aquariums. Perhaps there is a way to muffle a part of the sound that would come from the pump.

A person with an industrial-size setup might want to use a leaf blower with a distribution chamber as I described in the last post. And a leaf blower is even more loud than a mattress pump. Air pumps in general seem to be loud, and I'm not sure if theres a way to get around it (but I hope there is).

OfflineTrooper454420
Stranger
    #4356259 - 06/30/05 06:40 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

as you most likely know, sound is vibration. an air mattress pump on the floor will make much more noise than one suspended somehow in the air. Plus if its on the floor and you're in an apartment, others can hear, too. If you have the time try experimenting by suspending the pump in different media. you could try jello or styrofoam or whatever. even if the experiment completely failed, it would still seem kinda fun to me.

Invisibleagar
old hand
 User Gallery

Loc: Somewhere Else
Trusted Cultivator
    #4356374 - 06/30/05 07:14 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

With a timer, something on the order of an air pump like this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=66734&item=4390532758&rd=1

:will beat the hell out of a fish tank pump, as fish tank pumps don't move much volume.

We are talking about fresh air exchange - after - all.

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Air Pump

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation