Home | Community | Message Board

Mushrooms.com
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop: Portable Greenhouse, Scales

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Offlineexclusive58
illegal alien

Understanding What Is
    #4356164 - 06/30/05 06:07 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

We are in conlict, in competition against each other, and our world is on its way to destruction. The crisis, the wars are succeeding one after the other. Famine and misery rule, with on one side, those who are immensely rich, draped in their respectability, and on the other the poors.

What we need to resolve these problems, is not a new system of thought, nor an economical revolution. It is by understanding what is- the unhappiness -, by never stopping to closely examine at the deepest of what is, that a revolution with a bearing that goes beyond the revolution of ideas will be triggered off.

And it is this revolution that is absolutely necessary to the advent of another culture, of another religion, of another man to man relation.

--------------------

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleIcelander
The Minstrel in the Gallery
Male

Loc: underbelly
Re: Understanding What Is [Re: exclusive58]
    #4356186 - 06/30/05 06:15 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

I agree. And your signiture shows the way. :heart:

"If you begin to understand what you are without trying to change it, then what you are undergoes a transformation." ~ J. Krishnamurti

--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

OfflinePhluck
Carpal Tunnel
 User Gallery

Loc: Canada
    #4356258 - 06/30/05 06:40 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Did you know that the world's political situation was way more fucked up in like, 1939? Did you know that throughout all of the history of mankind, there have been rich upper classmen living off the backs of the poor? War, disease, famine... these things are not new, and a child born today is no more likely to experience these things than a child born 300 years ago (well, with the disease, they're way less likely... maybe even with the famine too)?

So why are we headed for collapse now? What makes now different from then?

I assume by "what is", you mean an appreciation of the intangiable?

If this is not the case, please correct me.

I have several questions for you before continuing, as I feel that your post is very vague.

Is an understanding of "what is" possible? Or is it more of a sensation?

How will an understanding of "what is" act to help us eliminate the great issues that face the world?

--------------------
"I have no valid complaint against hustlers. No rational bitch. But the act of selling is repulsive to me. I harbor a secret urge to whack a salesman in the face, crack his teeth and put red bumps around his eyes." -Hunter S Thompson
http://phluck.is-after.us

InvisibleIcelander
Male

Re: Understanding What Is [Re: Phluck]
    #4356478 - 06/30/05 07:46 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

I think you have a point about the world being fucked up like this forever it seems. A difference I see though is a much larger world population then ever before. Ecological destruction on a world wide scale and the ability to destroy the worlds populations with nuclear wepons.

This doesn't mean we are on the brink of total destruction. But it could. :mushroom2:

--------------------

OfflinePhluck
Carpal Tunnel
 User Gallery

Re: Understanding What Is [Re: Icelander]
    #4356781 - 06/30/05 09:18 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

This doesn't mean we are on the brink of total destruction. But it could.

Could, but a lot of what we hear about dangers and risks get blown out of proportion.

Look at this:

From here:
http://www.prb.org/Content/NavigationMen...tion_Growth.htm

Also, look at this article:
http://www.futurist.com/portal/science/science_population_explosion.htm

This might be kind of suprising to a lot of people, the media tends to ignore things about this in favor of sensationalism. There was an episode of Nova about this as well. Check it out: http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/worldbalance/

Kinda crazy, eh? A non-apocalyptic version of the future.

--------------------
"I have no valid complaint against hustlers. No rational bitch. But the act of selling is repulsive to me. I harbor a secret urge to whack a salesman in the face, crack his teeth and put red bumps around his eyes." -Hunter S Thompson

Offlinechucksteak
Stranger

Loc: saskatchewan, canada
    #4356981 - 06/30/05 10:26 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

i'm pretty sure that's a quote from the film Waking Life. probably my favourite movie, i can watch it over and over again and still appreciate each conversation.

--------------------
DON'T PANIC

InvisibleIcelander
Male

#4356993 - 06/30/05 10:29 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Thanks for the cheerful perspective Phluck. :thumbup: I guess I can go and have my babies now. :grin: :heart:

Still there is those damn nuclear bombs! :tongue: Maybe you can cheer me up about them too! :grin:

What will be will be. Why worry if you are living love. :thumbup: :heart:

--------------------

Offlineexclusive58
illegal alien

#4358414 - 07/01/05 05:03 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Phluck said:
So why are we headed for collapse now? What makes now different from then?

Consider some of the terrible conditions on earth today. Should events remain unchecked, they are predicted to grow far worse by the year 2050?if mankind survives for that long...
Many of the following statistics come from the United Nation's "The State of World Population 2001" report.

The world population (6.3 billion) has more than tripled in the last seventy years. It has doubled since 1960 and is predicted to reach between 9.3 and 10.9 billion by 2050. The forty-nine poorest, least-developed nations will actually triple to a population of nearly two billion. This worldwide population growth will bring staggering problems.

Just 2.5 percent of the earth's water is fresh. Only 20 percent of this (or 0.5 percent) is accessible ground or surface water. The current population consumes 54 percent of this available water. By 2050, it will need 90 percent?because the earth grows by 77 million additional people per year (requiring an amount of water equivalent to the mighty Rhine River every year). Also, developing countries dump 90 to 95 percent of their untreated sewage and 70 percent of their untreated industrial waste into surface waters. Population growth insures that this problem will only grow worse to the point of catastrophic. In addition, acid rain and chemical runoff from fertilizers and pesticides sufficiently ruin water quality, making it unusable.

Population growth continues to outpace food production. There are 800 million people who are chronically malnourished, and 2 billion who lack ?food security.? Only fifteen crop species provide 90 percent of the world's food, yet it is estimated that sixty thousand different plant species could reach extinction by just 2025! By that year, the projected 8 billion inhabitants of earth will require twice today's food needs, with greatly improved distribution, to eradicate hunger. Yet few experts see this as remotely possible.

Each day, 160,000 people move from rural areas to cities. This is happening fastest in under-developed countries. Enormous problems result from this: Sanitation, overcrowding, access to modern health services and the ability of schools to absorb the increase of students.

Fully 60 percent of all disease on earth is sanitation-related. Each year, air pollution kills nearly 3 million people in developing countries alone, with poor sanitation killing another 12 million. Various forms of indoor air pollution (soot, dung, coal for cooking and heating, etc.) affect 2.5 billion people a year and kill 2.2 million. Changes in climate are altering the zones of risk for insect-borne diseases. New and more virulent diseases are appearing or reappearing. Many bacteria are proving to be drug-resistant because of the ongoing over-prescribing of antibiotics.

Some of the problems predicted for the near future include: Limited and diminishing arable land, deforestation, urbanization, shrinking size of family farms, degradation of the land, shortages and degradation of water, irrigation problems, waste, the extinction of certain types of crops, the greater intensity and frequency of severe weather, which causes flooding and seasonal loss of crops, and greenhouse gases and changes of climate. Together, they spell untold calamity, and even catastrophe, for a mankind unprepared to solve these and many other problems.

Educators have duped generations into believing the evolutionary lie. This has caused those same generations to believe that mankind is continually evolving into a better and higher order of existence. Look around and you will see the fruits of this great deception. Mankind is not evolving upward, he is degenerating downward, into ever new lows of indulgence, decadence and immorality.

Quote:

I assume by "what is", you mean an appreciation of the intangible?

If you're asking if what is is incapable of being perceived by the senses, the answer is yes and no. To apprecite a tree for what it is, you are obviously going to need your senses. To appreciate one of your emotions for what it is, you are going to need sensibility, comprehension and a mind that is motionless without effort.

Quote:

Is an understanding of "what is" possible? Or is it more of a sensation?

Yes its possible, I wouldn't be posting this if it wasn't.
You can say its more of a sensation, as opposed to something intellectual. The intellect can reason, discuss, analyse, draw conclusions, and so on. But it is limited because it is the result of our conditionning. It isn't so with sensibility.

OfflinePhluck
Carpal Tunnel
 User Gallery

Re: Understanding What Is [Re: chucksteak]
    #4359010 - 07/01/05 12:03 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

i'm pretty sure that's a quote from the film Waking Life. probably my favourite movie, i can watch it over and over again and still appreciate each conversation.

I remember when they talked about things telescoping, but I don't think they discussed global population decline.

--------------------

OfflinePhluck
Carpal Tunnel
 User Gallery

#4359036 - 07/01/05 12:13 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Read the links I just provided, for one thing.

All you're doing is listing off a bunch of possible dangers.

Educators have duped generations into believing the evolutionary lie.

Uh, yeah, whatever. Here, do some reading. http://talkorigins.org/

This has caused those same generations to believe that mankind is continually evolving into a better and higher order of existence.

Anyone who thinks that evolution means moving towards a better and higher order of existance obviously doesn't understand evolution.

Look around and you will see the fruits of this great deception. Mankind is not evolving upward, he is degenerating downward, into ever new lows of indulgence, decadence and immorality.

Fruits of the great deception? What new lows have we reached? EVERY single indiscretion I see today I've seen in the past. War, scandal, rape... all nothing new at all.

The belief that the world is at its worst now is one fuelled by paranoia, and pushed by reactionaries.

To appreciate one of your emotions for what it is, you are going to need sensibility, comprehension and a mind that is motionless without effort....You can say its more of a sensation, as opposed to something intellectual. The intellect can reason, discuss, analyse, draw conclusions, and so on. But it is limited because it is the result of our conditionning. It isn't so with sensibility.

Sensibility has its own limitations as well. It can't test itself, or question itself. It convinces its bearer it is one thing, but by its very nature, if we question it, it is elusive.

It is impossible to know if it is an illusion.

--------------------

OfflineBlueCoyote
Beyond
Male User Gallery

Loc: Between
    #4359365 - 07/01/05 01:56 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

I think, most catastrophists are ecologists.
(like me, hehe)
The killing of neture will bring death to humans, because they will not be fast enough to replace it with their techniques.
How to beat a some billion years of evolution in about 100 years of technical revolution ?

We utterly destroy that, what we will not be able to replace. Most things we allready destroyed, and what could have had brought us much benefits, we are acually not even aware. My heart breaks within these thoughts, of what could have been possible to explore.

And this poor-rich-imbalance is speeding this developement very fast.

--------------------
Though lovers be lost love shall not  And death shall have no dominion
"Our scientific power has outrun our spiritual power. We have guided missiles and misguided men."Martin Luther King, Jr.
'Acceptance is the absolute key - at that moment you gain freedom and you gain power and you gain courage'

Invisibledorkus
don't look back
 User Gallery
    #4359515 - 07/01/05 02:28 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

I believe humans intuitively have a deep connection with eachother, thus making compassion an inner truth. Mindstuff/noise blocks this "bond" to a higher or lesser degree.

But as I see it, humanity is becoming more humane. Look back. People partying over public torture, slavery etc. Slavery still exists (concealed), but now it might be tolerated due to a lack of understanding of the driving principles in the commoner - not because we don't give a shit. Look at jails, outcasts etc. We are moving progressively towards a more re-integrative approach as opposed to punishment.

The Global Village (media) decreases planet size, making more people "neighbours". The world is in a very critical face now, but I think as our toys get more dangerous, Mind at Large will provide for the understanding needed. Given (loads of) time. I expect things to darken more though, but there is growth.

The first book on spirituality I read, was HH Dalai Lama's 'Thoughts for a new millenium'. The book stated political and religious revolutions as pointless and fruitless pursuits without inner work. We need JOY. Inner change. You yourself should know (as you obviously do) that this 'path' leads to heightened sense of compassion and obligation. I know that troubled times in themselves spark the Oneness consciousness, as is always revealed during crisis (ie tsunami).

Tomorrow I might think just opposite. I am starting to believe I have split up. :confused:

InvisibleIcelander
Male

Re: Understanding What Is [Re: dorkus]
    #4359540 - 07/01/05 02:34 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

The first book on spirituality I read, was HH Dalai Lama's 'Thoughts for a new millenium'. The book stated political and religious revolutions as pointless and fruitless pursuits without inner work. We need JOY. Inner change. You yourself should know (as you obviously do) that this 'path' leads to heightened sense of compassion and obligation.

:thumbup: :thumbup: :heart:

--------------------

Offlineexclusive58
illegal alien

#4360578 - 07/01/05 07:07 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

All you're doing is listing off a bunch of possible dangers.

what?? if they are very probable dangers, might as well point them out  :confused:

or you could also disregard them and say, "hey, they're only possible dangers"... :crazy2:

Although as you say, the world has always been a place of conflict, violence etc, we couldn't have hoped to keep on going that way, there was no way that we could find a stability in global violence and oppression. things are clearly getting out of proportion today, the trench between the poor and the rich has never been this deep, our society is slowly disentegrating...but don't take my word for it, if you don't agree that's fine, just don't start a battle of words especially if you're going to be talking out of your ass, cuz i won't be following you.

--------------------

Offlineexclusive58
illegal alien

#4360621 - 07/01/05 07:21 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

dr_mandelbrot said:
But as I see it, humanity is becoming more humane. Look back. People partying over public torture, slavery etc. Slavery still exists (concealed), but now it might be tolerated due to a lack of understanding of the driving principles in the commoner - not because we don't give a shit. Look at jails, outcasts etc. We are moving progressively towards a more re-integrative approach as opposed to punishment.

Ya human morality has progressed since the time of the Roman empire for sure, but i still think that they are degrading and decaying now. I mean, for exapmle lots of people in the politics forum say that its okay to torture.

And we might be growing in the realm of knowledge but check this out:
men have created many amazing technological inventions, but they cannot create solutions to their problems. Mankind has harnessed the power of computers to help process vast amounts of information, but human beings cannot correctly process their personal problems. Scientists have discovered much about the size, magnificence and precision of the universe, but they cannot discover the way to peace. Astronomers can find majestic, beautiful new galaxies throughout the universe, but they cannot find a way to preserve the beauty and majesty of earth. Scientists have also unleashed the power of the atom, but they are powerless to unleash answers to life's greatest questions. Educators have taught millions how to earn a living, but not how to live.

Today, the true way to growth is personal inner work. it is a way that has been massively disregarded in our history, and it is only normal that it comes back at us in a destructive manner.

OfflinePhluck
Carpal Tunnel
 User Gallery

#4360640 - 07/01/05 07:28 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

what?? if they are very probable dangers, might as well point them out

or you could also disregard them and say, "hey, they're only possible dangers"...

They are only possible. All it takes for these dangers to be taken seriously is for someone to say "Hey, it might happen", and write a book. Then they're as good as experts in their own eyes, and in the eyes of TV shows wanting an exciting story. This makes is easy to get a huge list of people who claim that something bad is going to happen.

We've only had a somewhat measurement of global poverty in the past 50-75 years, it's impossible to say that this trend is greater now than in the past. Pre-revolution France comes to mind.

What about our society is slowly disintegrating? Not only is this such a vague statement as to effectively render it meaningless, it doesn't seem to describe ANYTHING that I actually see happening.

--------------------

Invisibledorkus
don't look back
 User Gallery
    #4360657 - 07/01/05 07:34 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

That is exactly what I mean by dangerous times. The world is out of sync. We are kids with dangerous adult toys. We must grow up fast.

The folks accept torture? That is sick, and I can only hope and believe it is due to brainwashing and an inability to comprehend the realness of the situation. Though the massive movement and turmoil raised during the Iraq-invasion, showed reflective consciousness on a large scale. It spawned further hope in me.

We might wipe ourselves clean (slimmer humanity) during the process, but I have a good feeling about this. :lol:

When you say that the trench between rich and poor have never been this deep, I think you are just plain wrong. We have just printed more bills ($), so the difference between those who have nothing and those at the top might be a higher literal number, but bottom and top will always be bottom and top.

OfflinePhluck
Carpal Tunnel
 User Gallery

#4360692 - 07/01/05 07:47 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

I mean, for exapmle lots of people in the politics forum say that its okay to torture.

There's a bunch of them, sure, but I don't think there's more than there were say, 50 years ago. During the second world war, Japanese immigrants and descendants were imprisioned within the US and Canada with little opposition. Nowadays, the debate over the treatment of prisoners is rampant in the media and among citizens.

It used to be assumed that torture was perfectly reasonable in war, it wasn't something even debated much.

What is it about deep personal work that will improve the world?

Scientists have also unleashed the power of the atom, but they are powerless to unleash answers to life's greatest questions.

Like what questions... are you sure they even HAVE answers? Maybe asking what purpose we have here is like asking a vacuum cleaner what its favorite candy is.

--------------------

Invisibledorkus
don't look back
 User Gallery
    #4362316 - 07/02/05 05:28 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

What is it about deep personal work that will improve the world?

It will improve people. Improved people care more.

Offlineexclusive58
illegal alien

#4362369 - 07/02/05 06:23 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

The Growing Gap Between Rich and Poor (inside the US)

"In the era of corporate globalization, billions of workers and poor people around the world learned that a country?s economic growth does not automatically result in rising standards of living for the majority. And the U.S. is no exception. The 13,000 richest families in the U.S. now have almost as much income as the 20 million poorest. "And those 13,000 families have incomes 300 times that of average families," liberal economist Paul Krugman wrote in the New York Times Magazine.

In the mid-1990s, the United Nations published a report showing that the U.S. had already become the most class-stratified society among all the advanced industrial countries. Now, wealth in the U.S. is even more concentrated in the hands of a few. "It?s remarkable how little growth has trickled down to ordinary families," Krugman explained. "Median family income has risen only about 0.5 percent per year--and as far as we can tell...just about all of that increase was due to wives working longer hours, with little or no gain in real wages."

In their 1992 campaign for the White House, Bill Clinton and Al Gore liked to point out that the top 1 percent of Americans owned 40 percent of the country?s wealth. They also said that if you eliminated home ownership and only counted businesses, factories and offices, then the top 1 percent owned 90 per cent of all wealth. And the top 10 percent, they said, owned 99 percent! But once in office, Clinton and Gore did nothing to redistribute wealth more equally--despite the fact that their two terms in office spanned the economic joyride of the 1990s. On the contrary, inequality only continued to grow. "

http://www.globalpolicy.org/socecon/inequal/2003/0801gap.htm

The French pre-revolution situation comes to mind...The statistics were very similar back then as compared to now, except its happening on a larger scale.

This isn't only happening in the US, its happening everywhere, its global. The gap between the rich and the poor is growing inside countries themselves, and its growing between First World countries and Third World countries.

Its all a result of the way globalization is behaving.

Another world IS possible.

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Amazon Shop: Portable Greenhouse, Scales

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology