Home | Community | Message Board

Phytoextractum
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Advanced Mycology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop:   Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD   Amazon Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineBlue Helix
bold hand
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Question about stem characteristics in cubensis
    #4352076 - 06/29/05 08:54 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Does anyone have a theory as to why sometimes the stems are hollow and other times they are solid or nearly solid? What causes either condition? Is it related to nutritional content, moisture levels, strains, or what?

The reason I ask is because I had been growing B+ on manure and they always had hollow stems. Then I grew Ecuadorian on WBS and noticed the stems were very nearly solid. I always thought solid or nearly solid stems were a myth, but now I believe. I just can't figure out what makes the difference. I can't draw any personal conclusions since I don't have enough experience with various techniques and strains.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleEonTan
bird
 User Gallery
Loc: very south
Re: Question about stem characteristics in cubensis [Re: Blue Helix]
    #4352143 - 06/29/05 09:09 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

genectics + environment

I find cooler temps and drier conditions promote shorter fruits with larger caps and denser stems with all strains.

WEt feet dry heads in cool temps.

InvisibleHolydiver
Stranger
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: The midnight sea
Trusted Cultivator
    #4352172 - 06/29/05 09:16 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Funny that you asked this, I was about to make an identical thread. I think it's substrate AND environment, or some combination of the both we don't understand yet. It definitely can't be pointed to a single element in my opinion, i.e. it isn't strain/substrate/environment, but a combination of factors.

Check this out: Semi-controlled experiment with same strain, same substrate content, and same substrate depth. (4 inches horse poo if you're wondering). One is placed outdoors, the other inside. The outdoor grow produces almost completely thick stems. The inside grow produces more mushrooms, but they are hollow. The stems are thicker than most cubensis (attributed to large mass of horse poo) but nothing compared to the outdoor group. I didn't get a chance to compare yields, but this was solely to find out what contributes to thick stems, and nothing more.

So, that scratches substrate and strain as lone operating factors that contribute to thick stems. So, what's left? Environment at this point. How does the outdoor grow differ from the indoor? 1) Far less moisture (dry heat, very low humidity) 2) Unstable temps (90+f daytime, 60 overnight) and 3) constant air exchange. So which is it? When there is less operating moisture in the immediate environment, do the stems grow thicker? Or is it the constant air exchange, temp fluctuation, or a combination of the three?

Just rambling here, been running this through my mind all week and trying to put it together.

--------------------
To find a place to live between the negatives and positives.

OfflineKalix
'Head

Re: Question about stem characteristics in cubensis [Re: Holydiver]
    #4352337 - 06/29/05 10:00 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

KSSS grown on h-poo yielded me totally dense stems, that didn't have as much as a pinhole, even on drying.. And this was a neglected casing, the temps where usually over 80 degrees.. humidity was kept above 95.. They where casedi n straight verm.

--------------------

My Unitarian Jihad Name is: The Shotgun of Sweet Reason

OfflineBlue Helix
bold hand
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Question about stem characteristics in cubensis [Re: Kalix]
    #4352459 - 06/29/05 10:17 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Kalix, what is "KSSS"? I have grown many times on h-poo and with B+ I always had hollow stems.

Diver your case study is very interesting. What is most interesting is that we are talking the same strain and substrate. That makes it sound like it might be more of a humidity or gas exchange issue.

The Ecuadorian run that gave me solid stems was at a lower humidity of 90-95% during fruit out. I could zero in on the humidity because I got a Caliber III on Ebay for $20 which gives me an accurate RH (salt tested to exactly 75% out of the box), and I made a simple rheostat-controlled PC fan mix in with the cool mist so I can literally dial the exact RH I want (maybe I'll open a thread on that some other time). That 90-90% RH EQ run is probably the lowest RH with some of the highest gas exchange rate I've ever done, so that might be a reason for the solid stems. I just don't know, though, because there were too many things different with the EQ run. I tend to like the solid stems better personally, but I am not sure it really matters in terms of yield.

Offlinepcubmycol
flattiefisherman

Loc: Selectively breeding the ...
    #4354841 - 06/30/05 11:55 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Koh Samui Super Strain

--------------------
weretheshit.com is the shit!

:-D

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Question about stem characteristics in cubensis [Re: pcubmycol]
    #4357749 - 07/01/05 02:09 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Genetics play a role, but fresh air is absolute key. I love getting canopies of shrooms that can hold up heavy items..I dont worry much about humidity in my growing...its very minimal concern I've found...fresh air though.......lots and lots and lots. Less I fan, less weight the canopy will hold on top. My last harvest of Z tubs would hold a gallon of water set on top of them..just little 5 pound, 12 quart tubs..a BIG closet, not packed full of mushrooms I think helps.

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

OfflineBlue Helix
bold hand
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Question about stem characteristics in cubensis [Re: scatmanrav]
    #4358826 - 07/01/05 10:59 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

I also give a lot of fresh air. In fact I run a cool mist through a garden hose, pegs at 100% all the time, mixed with the right amount of fresh air in a PVC T-shape to reach the humidity I want at the input. I usually set that to 95%-99%, depending on day or night (night has a higher RH because the mix air is also higher).

But the RH really did not change from the B+ hollows to the EQs solids. What did change was the substrate and strain. I was using manure on the B+ with about 20% spawn. The EQs were WBS with vermiculite, which is a richer substrate (poo is not a very rich substrate which is why it doesn't contaminate easily). Also, the EQs had quite a bit of sunflower seeds whereas the B+ spawn didn't have any. The last difference was that I let the EQs colonize the grain maybe a week over what was required before fruiting out.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop:   Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD   Amazon Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Advanced Mycology