Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinespoiler
Stranger
Double Checking before starting my first grow
    #4347524 - 06/28/05 05:06 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Hey guys first time poster and I have to say...this board is amazing. Tons of info, but the setup I have isn't really descriptive of others I've read about so before I started with my first grow I wanted to give you a quick rundown of how I was going to do it to see if there are any suggestions for improvements.

For a substrate I was planning on using a mix of vermiculite and perlite that will be baked in an oven bag for sterilization. I have two 15 gallon aquariums and a 55 gallon acquarium that I've cleaned up and will coat with a generous coating of lysol before adding the substrate. I'm also planning on using mason jars (after reading this board who wouldn't) but I don't have a pressure cooker so I wasn't going to use rice on the first round. The two small aquariums have custom sized "heaters" that were designed to keep the aquarium between 80-84 degrees but the large aquarium and the jars won't and I'm concerned because I've seen the temp move from the low 60's at night to the mid 90's in the afternoon and it's only gonna get hotter as we get deeper into the summer.

So if there is a recommendation on how to maintain temperature on hot summer days in a shed that has no heat/ac it would be greatly appreciated. I just wired it for electical yesterday but don't have a lot of cash for heaters/humidifiers/ionizers etc...

My second major concern is maintaining proper humidity. I picked up that moist but not wet is the way the substate should be. I have a pond pump which can pump distilled water into the aquariums (I could even attach a misting system for under $10 if the pressure is strong enough) but I'm tempted to just hand mist after originally setting it up because I'm afraid of overwatering.

I have a 60cc syringe of B+ strain and I was planning on using the whole 60cc's since I doubt I'll be able to legitimately save the unused portion and keep it sterile. However with 85 gallons of aquarium space and a dozen mason jars I figure it'll be roughly 1/2 cc per gallon of aquarium space and 2cc's per jar. ( I was recommended to draw a S with the syringe on one far side from the instructions in the kit I bought, but after reading posts it says shake the rice cakes to spread the solution throughout the rice for quicker results)

How full do I have to lay the substrate in the acquariums? 6 inches? more/less? And the pre-sold/pre-sterilized jars appear to have substrate all the way to the top. Where do the mushrooms grow then?

I'm also planning on putting a sphagnum moss casing over the top after I've hit 90% mycelia before inducing fruiting.

Does this all sound like I'm on the right track? I think I will purchase a pressure cooker in the next coming months and try the rice cake in jar version next time around. However the wheels are already set for the first batch just wanted to see if someone could confirm that I'm either on the right track or severely screwed up. Haha.

Thanks a million for your suggestions.

Spoiler

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleLouiseLouise
starstruck
Male User Gallery

Loc: Searching w/my good eye c...
Re: Double Checking before starting my first grow [Re: spoiler]
    #4347583 - 06/28/05 05:20 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

you're off to a good start. Read this carefully, follow it to the letter, it's golden

http://www.shroomery.org/index/par/23593

--------------------
"That's why you get in close to them, and then take the picture!! Don't be a pussy!" ~CC

Invisiblebackupwards
peon

Loc: somewhere else
Re: Double Checking before starting my first grow [Re: LouiseLouise]
    #4347602 - 06/28/05 05:23 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

well you can't just use verm and perlite. you have to put something in there with nutes, say brown rice flour or something. i wouldn't suggest perlite be put in your cakes, i think it can cause water content probs.
go read some more at the link louise gave you.
peace

Offlinespoiler
Stranger
Re: Double Checking before starting my first grow [Re: backupwards]
    #4347692 - 06/28/05 05:50 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

ok, so kill the perlite and add brown rice powder. Easy fix that i can do without incurring great costs, thx.

Any idea on what kind of yield this would provide assuming a low rate of contaminants?

Spoiler

Invisiblebackupwards
peon

Loc: somewhere else
Re: Double Checking before starting my first grow [Re: spoiler]
    #4347809 - 06/28/05 06:35 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

noone will ever give you a straight answer on that question.
good luck with the grow, hope you take the advice about reading about what you are trying to do. it will help you out tremendously. i know i have read read read and then reread some more.
peace

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract