Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineGodspeed
Stranger
Loc: God's Basement
Getting a bit eager to start growing, considering birthing a cake early
    #4344442 - 06/27/05 06:48 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

yea, i know. the rate they are going though, i may have to hold the eventually fully colonized cakes for a month or more, because i'm leaving mid august and some of the jars are only half way. i'm still doing the brf cakes, 1pint jars. bastards are going slow. i think it's because i bought the real fine vermiculite, when i used the coarser stuff before they grew faster. but i don't know, it's only been three weeks really since the mycelium started growing, and maybe 4/10 of the jars are a week away from full colonization.

i've got the martha closet and cabinets, i'm going to pick up a coolmist. still looking for lime or oyster. is there much harm in taking a cake thats 3/4 colonized and casing it? i was thinking about using the verm that isn't colonized as the layer below the mycelium, and then put the peat/verm mix on top of that. just small casings, you know?

i'd like try this setup out and get it right before i have all my cakes ready day after day. if an issue comes up, all those casings are going to be at fault because i'm not experienced.

what do you guys think about taking one or two jars out early and casing them? also, i'm worried i won't get a good print by the time i have to move back to my apartment, and i'd like at least a couple from each strain i'm growing out. no time for lc, but i've got 3-4 cc's of each strain left, so i'll do that there

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineArcanePerception
The only rule isthe golden rule
 User Gallery

Re: Getting a bit eager to start growing, considering birthing a cake early [Re: Godspeed]
    #4344522 - 06/27/05 07:13 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

if you dont mind wasting the cake I dont see why not I have birthed brf cakes at 90% many times since I have always used LC I never cared about losing the $0.75 in substrate when 10 out of 12 jars was fully colonized. once out of the jars they would finish in like 2 days with fuzzy growth on the uncolonized parts

--------------------
Oh, welcome to this world of fools
Of pink champagne and swimming pools

OfflineGodspeed
Stranger
Re: Getting a bit eager to start growing, considering birthing a cake early [Re: ArcanePerception]
    #4344532 - 06/27/05 07:16 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

so if i was to do a casing with the cake, the verm that is left uncolonized i could use as the bottom layer below the mycelium covered verm?

OfflineGodspeed
Stranger
Re: Getting a bit eager to start growing, considering birthing a cake early [Re: Godspeed]
    #4344964 - 06/27/05 09:12 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Godspeed said:
so if i was to do a casing with the cake, the verm that is left uncolonized i could use as the bottom layer below the mycelium covered verm?

anyone?

Offlineoptic
Stranger
    #4344993 - 06/27/05 09:20 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

I would just break the whole thing up and not worry about it.

OfflineGodspeed
Stranger
Re: Getting a bit eager to start growing, considering birthing a cake early [Re: optic]
    #4345023 - 06/27/05 09:30 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

break it up in the casing tray and add the casing layer on top of it? should i add some extra verm for the bottom layer in addition to what hasn't been colonized from the cake?

Offlinepcubmycol
flattiefisherman

Loc: Selectively breeding the ...
    #4345061 - 06/27/05 09:48 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

You better be a pretty damn sterile guy if your gonna get away with this one...

Id wait.

Edit: and id also add moist sterile verm for the bottom layer, and a new casing layer for the top with something better than just verm.

--------------------
weretheshit.com is the shit!

:-D

Edited by pcubmycol (06/27/05 09:49 PM)

OfflineGodspeed
Stranger
Re: Getting a bit eager to start growing, considering birthing a cake early [Re: pcubmycol]
    #4345094 - 06/27/05 10:03 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

well i was going to do 50/50 peat/verm for the casing layer. i could use this as the bottom layer too.

if i cut off the uncolonized part of the cake, that's pretty safe, no?

Offlinepcubmycol
flattiefisherman

Loc: Selectively breeding the ...
    #4345106 - 06/27/05 10:09 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

yes it is... use a sterilized knife obviously. I just use verm on the bottom, you dont want any fruiting down there so i never bothered with using a peat/verm, or coir or w/e down there. IMO 60/40 is the best ratio for peat/verm. Id try to find some hydrated lime too. Good luck.

--------------------
weretheshit.com is the shit!

:-D

OfflineGodspeed
Stranger
Re: Getting a bit eager to start growing, considering birthing a cake early [Re: pcubmycol]
    #4345180 - 06/27/05 10:33 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

yea lime, i've still got to find something along those lines. well i'll try it out i guess, i mean some of the cakes won't be done for at least 2-3 weeks, i want to start something.

i'll just cut away the uncolonized verm and put fresh verm on the bottom. but i mean the verm that isn't colonized from the cake, how could that hurt it being there? it's sterile, and probably already growing some mycliuem. right?

OfflineHotnuts
old hand
 User Gallery

Loc: Wild Blue Yawnder
    #4346189 - 06/28/05 07:48 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Don't do it. You're only gunna be selling yourself short on substrate. Just give it time to finish and you'll be much more happy.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck