Home | Community | Message Board

MagicBag Grow Bags
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next >  [ show all ]
Invisiblemoog
Stranger

what if i don't want to support "our" troops?
    #4343633 - 06/27/05 03:13 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Every day that I'm out on the road it seems the cars with "Support our troops!" magnets double in number.

Well, why do I have to support "our" troops? Why do I want to support people who are brainwashed into being killing machines, or support the people who were killing machines without needing the brainwashing? And if I'm supporting troops shouldn't I support both sides of the fight, since how am I to know which side is "right"?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineSchwip
Never sleeps.
 User Gallery

Re: what if i don't want to support "our" troops? [Re: moog]
    #4343695 - 06/27/05 03:26 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

While it can said that 'this is what they signed for' or 'hey, its their fault for joining'  I still support our troops.....they are everyday people like you and me, thrown into very very shitty situations....

Support the troops, cause the government hardly cares for their pawns!  :crazy:

--------------------
--------------------------------

" If the sky were to suddenly open up there would be no law. There would be no rule. There would only be you and your memories... the choices you've made, and the people you've touched. If this world were to end there would only be you and him and no-one else. "

"MAN! You know there aint no such thing as left over crack!"

InvisibleSilversoul
Rhizome
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Barricades
    #4343731 - 06/27/05 03:33 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

I support those troops closest to me, namely my friends on the ground in Iraq who are getting shot at every day. I don't support the policies that led them into this hostile situation, nor do most of them. I simply pray for a safe return for them, as I do for anyone stuck in that hellhole. I find it insulting that you can dismiss those whose values or economic circumstances led them to fight as "brainwashed." They are simply doing what's right by them. If they should abuse their positions by knowingly slaughtering innocent civilians, then fuck 'em, but I make no such presumption about a person simply because they're serving in the military over there. I extend my prayers to our enemies as well. I hope that they, too, get through this as safely as possible, and that there are few orphans made at our hands. It's a tough situation for all sides involved, and I am not one to condemn one entirely while praising the other unequivocably.

--------------------

OfflineVex
Stranger
    #4343838 - 06/27/05 03:54 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

if you pay taxes you are supporting the troops. you can send them care packages too if you want. But pretending you believe in the war is fucking retarded. It's not supporting the troops, it's just the inability to think yourself, i think.

Invisibleniteowl
GrandPaw
Male User Gallery

Loc: Flag
    #4343897 - 06/27/05 04:05 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

"Supporting the troupes" isn't the same as "Supporting the war"

The people that are over there now (for the most part) didn't sign up to go to war. They did it for a job and for a shot at an education. They are just average Joe's who got caught up in a political situation they had no control over.

It's not the soldiers fault that he is in a combat situation.

Invisiblemoog
Stranger

Re: what if i don't want to support "our" troops? [Re: Vex]
    #4343911 - 06/27/05 04:08 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

well I was referring to moral support, rather than financial support.

Invisiblemoog
Stranger

Re: what if i don't want to support "our" troops? [Re: niteowl]
    #4343948 - 06/27/05 04:18 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

I hear this all the time... 'It's not their fault they're caught in a war. They don't want to be there.' If they didn't want to be there, why would they take the chance of being sent off to war by joining the armed forces to begin with? It IS the soldier's fault he's in a combat situation. As far as I know these guys (and gals) signed up by their own choice. Yeah, I know, I know, they "had to" for a shot at a job/education/whatever.

I feel for the guys who regret being there in the middle east, but I still don't support what they're doing, even if they disagree with it themselves. These people are supporting the war, whether they like it or not, by being a part of it.

Offlinefaslimy
Dead Man
 User Gallery
    #4343960 - 06/27/05 04:20 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

while i sympathize that many people were just too ignorant to understand what they were doing when they joined the army, supporting them will just perpetuate the cycle

OfflineSchwip
Never sleeps.
 User Gallery

#4343985 - 06/27/05 04:25 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

I feel for the guys who regret being there in the middle east,

From what i hear,....so do the majority of the troops stuck over there..... but its not something any soldier can just walk away from....is going to jail to prove a point better than being stuck in that shit-storm? i dunno, im not over there......

maybe we should sell bumper stickers that say "I support our troops by feeling sory for them"

--------------------
--------------------------------

" If the sky were to suddenly open up there would be no law. There would be no rule. There would only be you and your memories... the choices you've made, and the people you've touched. If this world were to end there would only be you and him and no-one else. "

"MAN! You know there aint no such thing as left over crack!"

OfflineBCBudJohn
Foolhardy

Loc: Victoria, BC, Canada
Re: what if i don't want to support "our" troops? [Re: Schwip]
    #4344429 - 06/27/05 06:44 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

I think michael moore said it best (something like this):

"These young men and women gave themselves and their lives to your country, with the knowledge that we would not put them into harms way unless absolutely necessary."

Joining the army takes alot of courage and a great amount of genorosity and selflessness.

I think the best way to support the troops is to actively try to bring them home from an illegal war that this administration has started on its own agenda, not that of the international community.

--------------------
Peace
John

Invisiblelooner2
ABBA fan

Re: what if i don't want to support "our" troops? [Re: BCBudJohn]
    #4344958 - 06/27/05 09:11 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Nothing will really happen if you don't support the troops.

There are plenty of americans that support the need for a standing army.

--------------------
I am in love with Acidic_Sloth

Invisibledownforpot
Stranger
Male
Re: what if i don't want to support "our" troops? [Re: looner2]
    #4345297 - 06/27/05 11:12 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

If you talk shit and spit on them then you become like those dirty vile scum hippies of the 60's that called all the troops "baby killers"

--------------------

http://www.myspace.com/4th25

"And I don't care if he was handcuffed
Then shot in his head
All I know is dead bodies
Can't fuck with me again"

InvisibleRavus
Not an EggshellWalker
 User Gallery

Loc: Cave of the Patriarchs
    #4345310 - 06/27/05 11:19 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

As long as you get in the troops' way, that's fine by me. Your freedom of speech allows you to say you don't support the troops.

I don't put the troops up on some high pedestal, but I realize they are essential for the continued existence of this country. Being a soldier is a job like any other (except you're more likely to get killed :smirk:), and I don't say that I support our accountants or our lawyers because it makes no difference. All occupations are necessary to the survival of this country, whether they put people in danger or not.

--------------------
So long as you are praised think only that you are not yet on your own path but on that of another.

Invisibledownforpot
Stranger
Male
Re: what if i don't want to support "our" troops? [Re: Ravus]
    #4345509 - 06/28/05 12:25 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

yep, there have been soldiers, warriors, armies long before people invaded fire, shit, they weren't even considered soldiers back then, it wasn't wierd to kill in order to survive, secure resources, mates, etc.

--------------------

http://www.myspace.com/4th25

"And I don't care if he was handcuffed
Then shot in his head
All I know is dead bodies
Can't fuck with me again"

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Loc: In the hen house
Re: what if i don't want to support "our" troops? [Re: downforpot]
    #4346018 - 06/28/05 04:19 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

What do you call someone who kills a baby, like the thousands in Iraq - a humanitarian ?

Are dead babies "free"?

--------------------

The proof is in the pudding.

Invisiblenewuser1492
    #4346110 - 06/28/05 06:15 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Then this is the perfect site for you.

Invisiblelooner2
ABBA fan

Re: what if i don't want to support "our" troops? [Re: Swami]
    #4346130 - 06/28/05 06:41 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

What do you call someone who kills a baby, like the thousands in Iraq - a humanitarian ?

I call him a patriot.

--------------------
I am in love with Acidic_Sloth

OfflineMolokoMilkPlus
Theorist

#4346237 - 06/28/05 08:34 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

The vast majority of them joined the army for what has already been mentioned, a shot at better education. Most people before 9-11 who joined the army likely did so only expecting to do the training for a few years, and then leave with its benefits. Many simply thought of war as something that doesn't occur anymore. Then 9-11 came along and Bush used it as an excuse to invade Iraq to secure its oilfields and as a gift to Israel.

--------------------
Got Milk?

InvisibleDieCommie

Re: what if i don't want to support "our" troops? [Re: MolokoMilkPlus]
    #4346261 - 06/28/05 08:56 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

MolokoMilkPlus said:Many simply thought of war as something that doesn't occur anymore.

:confused: Nobody I know in the service before or after 911 thought that.

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
    #4346296 - 06/28/05 09:22 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

> Why do I want to support people who are brainwashed into being killing machines

So that you can sit in the comfort of your own home and bitch about them without worrying about spending the rest of your life doing hard labor in a prison camp somewhere stating how you feel.

I repsect the men and woman in the military more than any other occupation. They are willing to die to protect my right to bitch about life (or more to the point, they are willing to die to protect the constitution of this country).

> Nothing will really happen if you don't support the troops.

It depends upon what you mean by "nothing". If you mean it wont change the war in Iraq, you are certainly correct. If you mean it doesn't matter, then you are very wrong. Look at Vietnam and the lack of support that our soldiers got then... the lack of support did nothing to end the war, but it certainly hurt the young men and woman that were forced to fight.

> And if I'm supporting troops shouldn't I support both sides of the fight, since how am I to know which side is "right"?

Ah, I understand... you are confusing the "rightousness" of the fight/war with that of the soldiers... these are two very different things. The soldiers signed up to protect the country, not to play the part of Bushes big branch. Remember, some of these people have been in the military since the days of Jimmy Carter... or longer... to blame them for the current administrations screw-ups is simply wrong. Don't kill the messanger...

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale