Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]
InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Fading Slowly
Male User Gallery

Loc: On the Border
Dead Dogs
    #4344090 - 06/27/05 04:53 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Scientists in Pittsburgh have managed to drain the blood from a dog and replace it with chilled saline. The animals at that point are dead in a medical sense. After three hours they replace the blood and administer an electric shock with a defibrillator and the Dog comes back to life. This will be used on a person within the year. This seems to have deep philosophical implications. Here is the article: Zombie Dogs

Zombie Dog

--------------------
"A warrior is a hunter. He calculates everything. That's control. Once his calculations are over, he acts. He lets go. That's abandon. A warrior is not a leaf at the mercy of the wind. No one can push him; no one can make him do things against himself or against his better judgment. A warrior is tuned to survive, and he survives in the best of all possible fashions." ― Carlos Castaneda

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

Loc: In the jungle
Re: Dead Dogs [Re: Huehuecoyotl]
    #4344150 - 06/27/05 05:04 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

This is really unbelievable...very fascinating. Sounds like something out of a sci-fi movie.

OfflineOldWoodSpecter
waiting
Male

Loc: mountains and lakes
    #4344198 - 06/27/05 05:16 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Wonderfull, sounds like something from Star Trek (being revived after hours)

But, what deep philosophical implications are you refering to?

--------------------
I descend upon your earth from the skies
I command your very souls you unbelievers
Bring before me what is mine

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Fading Slowly
Male User Gallery

Re: Dead Dogs [Re: OldWoodSpecter]
    #4344203 - 06/27/05 05:17 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Well, specifically life after death...do we have a soul...you know..the usual.

--------------------
"A warrior is a hunter. He calculates everything. That's control. Once his calculations are over, he acts. He lets go. That's abandon. A warrior is not a leaf at the mercy of the wind. No one can push him; no one can make him do things against himself or against his better judgment. A warrior is tuned to survive, and he survives in the best of all possible fashions." ― Carlos Castaneda

OfflineOldWoodSpecter
waiting
Male

#4344205 - 06/27/05 05:18 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Yea, but what does this tells us about afterlife, soul etc?
I think nothing

--------------------

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Fading Slowly
Male User Gallery

#4344210 - 06/27/05 05:21 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

This doesn't, but would not an experiement on a human? If the person is dead then they ARE dead. There isn't an almost. So, if there is life after death the person in question should experience it...if they do not that could well mean that we are but flesh. This state is not sleep it is death. Why would this not be the last word on this matter or would it?

--------------------

OfflineOldWoodSpecter
waiting
Male

#4344229 - 06/27/05 05:27 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

oh you mean a death-o-naut?
Yea that would be interesting, but then again there are potential problems with that experiment.

Peeople who experience NDE ARE dead, their brain is not working at all, and yet some say they experice something, while others just have a standard wake up with no memory.

My guess is that the results would be the same with a 3-hour experiment too. Some would report NDE experiences, some would say they experienced nothing.

It is possible that NDE experience happens because of DMT in the last second or two before losing consciousness, but people experience them for time that seems like hours, it can be time compression, same kind that happens when we dream (you dream almost hours, yet the dream last for a few seconds in reality)

Supose that a man comes back from a 3 hour death and reports angels and light and all that stuff. It is quite possible that he experienced it in the seconds when the brain was dying, and when he woke up it felt like he was conscious for 3 hours, and tells everyone all about it.

Whatever people report when they come back after 3 hours, or a day, or a week, we will be stuck with the same old dilemas.

There are always multiple ways to explain things.

--------------------

Edited by OldWoodSpecter (06/27/05 05:29 PM)

InvisibleVeritas
 User Gallery
    #4344234 - 06/27/05 05:29 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Wow...the photo of the dog is not a great advertisement for this procedure! Not exactly your friendly neighborhood Golden Retriever, is he?

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Fading Slowly
Male User Gallery

#4344237 - 06/27/05 05:31 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

"Peeople who experience NDE ARE dead"
I worked as an Emergency Medicqal Technician for a good while. I was taught in training that this is not the case...they are not dead.

--------------------

OfflineOldWoodSpecter
waiting
Male

#4344246 - 06/27/05 05:35 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Well, people are taught a lot of things..

What makes them alive then? No electricity in the brain, heart is not working, nothing in the body works, so what makes them alive?

--------------------

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Fading Slowly
Male User Gallery

#4344270 - 06/27/05 05:45 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

"Well, people are taught a lot of things.."

There is brain activity in such persons. There is electrical activity in the brain of a dead person for a couple of hours, but I am told it is of a different sort. There is no heart beat or pulse in clinical death. I would be inclined to trust medical training that I recieved...it was very good in all respects. You can dispute this, but please use facts and not assumptions that I must have been told wrong.

--------------------

OfflineOldWoodSpecter
waiting
Male

#4344314 - 06/27/05 06:01 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

If there is electrical activity in the brain for a couple of hours, then what good would such a test do (3 hours dead) ?

--------------------

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Fading Slowly
Male User Gallery

#4344329 - 06/27/05 06:05 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

It is only residual electrical impulses that follows no pattern. During an NDE there is organized brain activity I am given to understanding.

--------------------

OfflineOldWoodSpecter
waiting
Male

#4344338 - 06/27/05 06:08 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Well then you have been pointed to the wrong examples.
The cases that make the whole issue are those where there is no brain activity, those are the ones you read in books about NDE

--------------------

OfflineOldWoodSpecter
waiting
Male

#4344351 - 06/27/05 06:10 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Anyway, even if ALL NDE experiences happen while there is still brain activity, what difference does it make how long do you leave the man dead? If he dreamed the whole NDE experience before he died, he will tell you about it even after a week of being really dead.

--------------------

InvisibleIcelander
The Minstrel in the Gallery
Male

Loc: underbelly
    #4344416 - 06/27/05 06:39 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Huehuecoyotl said:
This doesn't, but would not an experiement on a human? If the person is dead then they ARE dead. There isn't an almost. So, if there is life after death the person in question should experience it...if they do not that could well mean that we are but flesh. This state is not sleep it is death. Why would this not be the last word on this matter or would it?

Even if the persons "spirit" had an after death experience, there is no guarantee that he would remember it.

--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Fading Slowly
Male User Gallery

Re: Dead Dogs [Re: Icelander]
    #4344509 - 06/27/05 07:11 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

"Even if the persons "spirit" had an after death experience, there is no guarantee that he would remember it."

Don't tell me that...I was already planning my next vacation...

--------------------

InvisibleIcelander
Male

#4344533 - 06/27/05 07:16 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

So that's what you meant when you said you were ready to have your life back. :mushroom2:

--------------------

OfflineJacquesCousteau
Being.
Male User Gallery

Loc: Everywhere, Everytime.
    #4344538 - 06/27/05 07:17 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

When the dog comes back, are they violent and psychotic? Or just the same dog with the same personality?

Because they're really not zombies unless they're violent and psychotic. Not by my standards anyway...  :tongue:

InvisibleIcelander
Male

Re: Dead Dogs [Re: Veritas]
    #4344547 - 06/27/05 07:18 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Veritas said:
Wow...the photo of the dog is not a great advertisement for this procedure!  Not exactly your friendly neighborhood Golden Retriever, is he?

How would you feel it they told you they were going to drain your blood and replace it with fucking salt? :evil:

--------------------

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Fading Slowly
Male User Gallery

Re: Dead Dogs [Re: JacquesCousteau]
    #4344557 - 06/27/05 07:20 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Nope they are not violent....but I would challenge you about zombies being "violent and psychotic". I tend to think that consuming living human flesh is just their nature. You are blinded by ethnocentrism...

--------------------

OfflineJacquesCousteau
Being.
Male User Gallery

#4344558 - 06/27/05 07:20 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

There's also some liquid involved... I imagine straight salt would be unpleasant.

That is... if you were alive and conscious during the procedure, which you obviously would not be.

OfflineJacquesCousteau
Being.
Male User Gallery

#4344573 - 06/27/05 07:23 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Well, I was just trying to make a funny... kind of a wise-ass stereotype reference.

Of course, that is probably a sign that I'm subconsciously blinded by ethnocentrism...  :smirk:

OfflineOldWoodSpecter
waiting
Male

#4344576 - 06/27/05 07:23 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

JacquesCousteau said:
When the dog comes back, are they violent and psychotic? Or just the same dog with the same personality?

Because they're really not zombies unless they're violent and psychotic. Not by my standards anyway...  :tongue:

Zombies are not really violent, only in movies perhapse, but I think they are a bit stunned, and if they have a hangover.
I'm refering to those poisoned people that those Voodoo idiots use as slaves

--------------------

OfflineJacquesCousteau
Being.
Male User Gallery

#4344584 - 06/27/05 07:25 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

OldWoodSpecter said:
Zombies are not really violent, only in movies perhapse, but I think they are a bit stunned, and if they have a hangover.
I'm refering to those poisoned people that those Voodoo idiots use as slaves

Well, I'm referencing re-animated corpses. And last time I checked, they don't exist outside of the stereotypes of movies.

Except maybe the subject matter of this very thread...

OfflineOldWoodSpecter
waiting
Male

#4344630 - 06/27/05 07:35 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Well real zombies are not reanimated corpses. You probably heard about that old Voodoo practice when a guy that is good with chemistry and poisons, poisons a person, which renders it dead to the outside observer, their heartbeat is slowed down and and lifesigns are not detectable, so the person is proclaimed dead and burried. But the person is conscious all the time, in a half-dream state, but can't move or feel its body. Then later on, the witchdoctor (or whatever he is called) comes and burries the guy out, takes him somewhere and uses him as his slave. So nobody looks for the person anymore because he is proclaimed dead. Of course, that is not so often today because it is of course illegal, but there have been more recent cases where a person escapes and comes home, and of course everyone freaks out because they really thought he was dead.

There is another real-world meaning of the world Zombie

There are these wierd folks that learn to slown down their own metabolism some way, don't know the detail, and burry themselfs, I guess they fall in some sort of coma but they are alive, their body deteriorates, and then someone (with whom they had an agreement) burries them out a month later, and they look like walking dead people. I have no Idead why anyone would want to do that, but I've read a lot about it, there are even some pictures of these people how they look after it. It's amazing.

--------------------

OfflineJacquesCousteau
Being.
Male User Gallery

#4344633 - 06/27/05 07:37 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Fucked up... but very informative! Thanks for elaborating.  :smile:

InvisibleIcelander
Male

#4344638 - 06/27/05 07:38 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

JacquesCousteau said:
There's also some liquid involved... I imagine straight salt would be unpleasant.

That is... if you were alive and conscious during the procedure, which you obviously would not be.

I also was making funny! :tongue: :grin:

--------------------

OfflineOldWoodSpecter
waiting
Male

#4344639 - 06/27/05 07:39 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Oh yea, and I believe the second kind of Zombies that I've described are some wierd tribes that life in Africa, but I'm not so sure.

The first kind is Jamaica or some other island that has Voodoo tradition

--------------------

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Fading Slowly
Male User Gallery

#4344649 - 06/27/05 07:41 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

"The first kind is Jamaica or some other island that has Voodoo tradition"

Haiti

--------------------

OfflineOldWoodSpecter
waiting
Male

#4344652 - 06/27/05 07:42 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

yea, Thanks

--------------------

OfflineJacquesCousteau
Being.
Male User Gallery

#4344654 - 06/27/05 07:43 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Icelander said:
I also was making funny! :tongue: :grin:

Humor is on a roll in this thread...  :grin:

Invisiblevampirism
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#4345098 - 06/27/05 10:05 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

hmm interesting

any link perchance?

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Fading Slowly
Male User Gallery

Re: Dead Dogs [Re: vampirism]
    #4345113 - 06/27/05 10:11 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

If you want to know about Haitian zombies read the excellant "The Serpent and the Rainbow" by Wade Davis. Datura and Blowfish poison are the primary toxins used.

--------------------

Invisiblevampirism
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#4345116 - 06/27/05 10:12 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

no, i mean the people who bury themselves and look like the living dead after a while.

i saw a documentary on the haitian zombies...

InvisibleRavus
Not an EggshellWalker
 User Gallery

Loc: Cave of the Patriarchs
    #4345278 - 06/27/05 11:03 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

I wonder if you get a salty taste in your mouth after being revived...

The problem is there's no objective scientific way to test the afterlife. If, for example, near-death experiences all happen within a minute or two after death with severe distortion of time, and knowing that, to human perception, the lack of experience is not an experience, they would be revived and only speak of the ND experience they had. They wouldn't remember the utter blackness of nothingness, because all activity would've ceased so there'd be no way to perceive it subjectively.

So no, it wouldn't necessarily solve the issue of an afterlife. People would probably come back spouting the same NDEs we've heard over and over, and the believers would say it's absolute proof, and the disbelievers would use the above argument.

--------------------
So long as you are praised think only that you are not yet on your own path but on that of another.

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Fading Slowly
Male User Gallery

Re: Dead Dogs [Re: Ravus]
    #4346052 - 06/28/05 04:52 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Interesting idea....if the brain is turned off there would be no storage medium for the memory...hadn't thought of that. It is a common misconception that the experieners of NDEs are dead, but they still have functional brains. With this procedure the brain is turned off completely. With what you said in mind there would not even be an NDE because the person would go from a state of life to death very quickly, and most likely while sedated.

--------------------

OfflineOldWoodSpecter
waiting
Male

Re: Dead Dogs [Re: Ravus]
    #4346105 - 06/28/05 06:00 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Ravus said:
I wonder if you get a salty taste in your mouth after being revived...

The problem is there's no objective scientific way to test the afterlife. If, for example, near-death experiences all happen within a minute or two after death with severe distortion of time, and knowing that, to human perception, the lack of experience is not an experience, they would be revived and only speak of the ND experience they had. They wouldn't remember the utter blackness of nothingness, because all activity would've ceased so there'd be no way to perceive it subjectively.

So no, it wouldn't necessarily solve the issue of an afterlife. People would probably come back spouting the same NDEs we've heard over and over, and the believers would say it's absolute proof, and the disbelievers would use the above argument.

yea, that is what I was trying to point out

--------------------

InvisibleSkorpivoMusterion
Livin in theTwilight Zone...
 User Gallery

Loc: You can't spell fungus wi...
    #4346511 - 06/28/05 11:18 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

How amazing. :thumbup:

But I agree with Veritas.. the picture of the dog looks like a scene from a horror movie... well, I guess it fits the zombific title.

--------------------
Coffee should be black as hell, strong as death, and sweet as love.

OfflineBlueCoyote
Beyond
Male User Gallery

Loc: Between
    #4346550 - 06/28/05 11:30 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

And now, I have something to think about for you, because I tend to something total different:
What if, if 'real eternity' has so much to do with time, that it is foreseeing your revival ?
What if this method will keep you away from 'paradise' ?

(I sound dull in english, but I write stories in german...that's one major plot of a story of mine, sigh)

--------------------
Though lovers be lost love shall not  And death shall have no dominion
"Our scientific power has outrun our spiritual power. We have guided missiles and misguided men."Martin Luther King, Jr.
'Acceptance is the absolute key - at that moment you gain freedom and you gain power and you gain courage'

InvisibleSkorpivoMusterion
Livin in theTwilight Zone...
 User Gallery

Loc: You can't spell fungus wi...
Re: Dead Dogs [Re: BlueCoyote]
    #4346624 - 06/28/05 12:03 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Ah, ein Mit Deutsch! Nicht, dass ich deutsch mich selbst bin, aber ich habe in Deutschland mehrfache Zeiten, ausdr?cklich in Ansbach, Landstuhl und Rammstein usw. gelebt. H?bsches sch?nes Land.. Wo leben Sie in Deutschland?

--------------------
Coffee should be black as hell, strong as death, and sweet as love.

OfflineBlueCoyote
Beyond
Male User Gallery

Loc: Between
Re: Dead Dogs [Re: SkorpivoMusterion]
    #4346717 - 06/28/05 12:41 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Hihi, lustig :wink:
Ja, sagen wir doch bitte 'Du' :smile:
Dein Deutsch klingt ein wenig holprig, aber es ist eindeutig als solches identifizierbar :smile:
Ja, 'an sich' ist Deutschland sch?n, aber wir befinden uns auch (?)in einer intelektuellen Krise.
Heh :smile: munich calling :wink: Hey-Ho Oktoberfest, drink more beer :grin: Then climb over the Alpes and you are in Italy ore Slowenia..quite cooking here with all the EU-stuff..

Hehe, I would love to think of these dog-experiments as something like in the film flat-liners, but we have to wait, what peoples will tell going on this trip :smile:
'Perhaps' there will be some evidence for something or nothing.

edit: Oops, smileyinvasion :laugh:

--------------------
Though lovers be lost love shall not  And death shall have no dominion
"Our scientific power has outrun our spiritual power. We have guided missiles and misguided men."Martin Luther King, Jr.
'Acceptance is the absolute key - at that moment you gain freedom and you gain power and you gain courage'

Edited by BlueCoyote (06/28/05 12:45 PM)

OfflineOldWoodSpecter
waiting
Male

Re: Dead Dogs [Re: BlueCoyote]
    #4346789 - 06/28/05 12:59 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

I'll use this thread to make my protest

Two threads locked in one day, both before I had a chance to reply.
When Swami makes his mocking theads nobody says anything, yet my gets locked, and another that is a protest to locking gets locked too.

Some serious violation of freedom of speech, all comming from the land of free

--------------------

OfflineDrink_Punk_Soda
Now with ExtraVaganza!?

Loc: Nowhere fast
    #4346833 - 06/28/05 01:17 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

This IS a fascinating topic.. although, wouldn't there be significant irreversable damage done (physical) to the body, organs, brain, etc. after being "dead" for three hours?

--------------------

Kumbayah my lord, Kumbayah...

OfflineOldWoodSpecter
waiting
Male

Re: Dead Dogs [Re: Drink_Punk_Soda]
    #4346837 - 06/28/05 01:18 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

well obviously not

--------------------

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Fading Slowly
Male User Gallery

Re: Dead Dogs [Re: Drink_Punk_Soda]
    #4346864 - 06/28/05 01:29 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

No. The procedure prevents it.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order