Home | Community | Message Board

MagicBag Grow Bags
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinedoug_E_fresh
the shroomerysrapper

Making a Grow ROOM. Few Q's. Any help welcome
    #4342182 - 06/27/05 07:51 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

I was thinking about doing a grow room. What would be the most efficient and sterile way of doing this? I thought of so many different ideas, I just don't know what would be good. 15ftx15ft room. I thought of either splitting the room in hall with a space to walk, and making a fruiting chamber out of the 2 half's of the room, using this http://habitatmonitor.com/products.htm#Humid to humidify it. I can't do a bunch of Martha's... too much money. Should I just mat the whole room with plastic and make the whole room a fruiting chamber? I wouldn't think so cause of chance of contams.

Any help?

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinethenewguy05
The Mushroom Man
 User Gallery

Loc: My Underground Layer
Re: Making a Grow ROOM. Few Q's. Any help welcome [Re: doug_E_fresh]
    #4342196 - 06/27/05 08:09 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

commercial shiitake growers use HUGE humidity tents, bigger than any wedding party tent you've ever seen. i think doing a 15ft square room isn't out of the question. personally my strategy is to use 16 fruiting chambers strategically placed around the room so there is a walkway in between them for easy day to day lid cracking.

OfflineWillieTomg
If stemmer votedme 1, I'm doingSOMETHING right!
Loc: On the insides of your ey...
    #4342202 - 06/27/05 08:18 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

File this idea under "easier said than done." IMO it's not impossible, but if Marthas are too much money for you, than I think a grow room would be too. It seems you have a humidifier selected, which is good, but you also have to take into consideration how you're going to control the temperature to within a few degrees fahrenheit. And you'd also have to make a light setup for a 12/12 light cycle if there isn't a window (I'm assuming there isn't.) And of course the whole contam situation which you've already figured out will be an issue (although as long as you wash down all surfaces with bleach/water mix after working on them, and use clean sterile equipment I don't think you'll have too much problem anyway).

In my head, I see countertop space all around the walls. As you walk in, there are pans with fruiting mushroom cases on the right countertop, colonizing jars sharing space with equpiment tubs on the left countertop, and a clean empty workspace in front. Of course, this would all be much more costly to buy and build than a Martha, which is why I don't really get why you want to make a room instead. But hell, if you have a supply of cheap building materials, and don't mind retrofitting an entire room by yourself, then don't let some guy on the internet tell you what is and is not possible.

If you REALLY want to do it, then go for it. I just think a Martha would be easier and cheaper in the end.

--------------------
Battles of wits are impossible with the unarmed.

Invisibleagar
old hand
 User Gallery

Loc: Somewhere Else
Trusted Cultivator
    #4342234 - 06/27/05 08:33 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

It depends on several things. One is how much modification you can do to it (landlord issues).

Wall paper all surfaces (floor, ceiling & walls) with thick mil plastic (Lowes or HomeDepot rolls for $25) + plastic mats on the floor in area's you walk. This needs to be done TIGHT, otherwise sheetrock walls & ceiling can get moldy from high ambiant rh. Overlap the plastic about 18 inches each way, use tape to seal joints & screw gun & screws to hold plastic in place.

Segment room into two area's, one clean room, with working table, one incubation & fruiting area (combined) with racks, shelves or whatever.

Simco Airostat

Laminar flowhood would be helpfull

Think about overhead lighting & timers in the fruiting area.

Think about electric outlets & if they are not well positioned, use extension cords to position plug in's where you want them.

Dead fridge or upright freezer, metal filing cabinets are great for spawn jar/bag incubation.

You are going to need lots of nested trays.

Find a lot of free h/poo for substrate.

Find a source of big bags of peat & verm.

You will have high humidity in the fruiting area, condendsation on walls, ceiling & floor, so think about a way to drain that out/off.

Think about heating & cooling (air/con), so you can maintain an ambiant tempurature of about 73/76F YEAR AROUND.

Positive pressure hepa filter the combined area's. This allows for a fairly clean air to work in, plus provides fresh air exchange.

Or, you could install about 3 or 4 dead upright freezers in it.

You are going to need lots of wbs/rye/grain spawn, so think about getting a big AA PC.

That should give you just a few things to ponder.

Edited by agar (06/27/05 09:05 AM)

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Making a Grow ROOM. Few Q's. Any help welcome [Re: agar]
    #4342289 - 06/27/05 08:52 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

>I just think a Martha would be easier and cheaper in the end

A SINGLE martha, wouldnt fill up that space, he'd need like 4 of them, making it more expensive then lining the walls with a tarp.

Check out my closet link in my signature...may have a few ideas in there for you.

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

OfflineArcanePerception
The only rule isthe golden rule
 User Gallery

Re: Making a Grow ROOM. Few Q's. Any help welcome [Re: scatmanrav]
    #4342343 - 06/27/05 09:12 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

just get a hepa from walmart (not an Ionic breeze those things are a scam)buy a bunch of 18 gallon tubs and just stack them everywhere and buy a few good fish tank heater and make some tub in tubs and a black tarp to cover the tubs that are in spawn run so you can just use the overhead lighting in the room turn the light on when you go to work turn it off when you come home why make things complicated

--------------------
Oh, welcome to this world of fools
Of pink champagne and swimming pools

Offlinethenewguy05
The Mushroom Man
 User Gallery

Loc: My Underground Layer
Re: Making a Grow ROOM. Few Q's. Any help welcome [Re: ArcanePerception]
    #4342382 - 06/27/05 09:24 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

The ionic breeze is great in theory. if they could actually make it work properly, it would be ideal.

OfflineTweexican
Clit Commander
 User Gallery
    #4342534 - 06/27/05 10:41 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

scatmanrav said:

A SINGLE martha, wouldnt fill up that space, he'd need like 4 of them, making it more expensive then lining the walls with a tarp.

Check out my closet link in my signature...may have a few ideas in there for you.

actually, i have a friend of a friend of a friend who's setup is a 6x6 foot room lined with tarping and humidified with a fogger unit. Works ten times better than his martha... and cheaper too :smile:.

--------------------

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Making a Grow ROOM. Few Q's. Any help welcome [Re: Tweexican]
    #4342576 - 06/27/05 10:54 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Tweexican said:
Quote:

scatmanrav said:

actually, i have a friend of a friend of a friend who's setup is a 6x6 foot room lined with tarping and humidified with a fogger unit. Works ten times better than his martha... and cheaper too :smile:.

Actually? Isnt that what I just said? I have two closets lined with tarps, bigger then a martha and cheaper too..thats why I said that.

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Invisibleagar
old hand
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Making a Grow ROOM. Few Q's. Any help welcome [Re: thenewguy05]
    #4342623 - 06/27/05 11:03 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

thenewguy05 said: The ionic breeze is great in theory. if they could actually make it work properly, it would be ideal.

This is a SIMCO AIROSTAT XC ($600 retail).

It is an ionic breeze X 1000.
One of these & a hepa filter - works WONDERS.

Check eBay, they go cheap (under $50), often.

--------------------

Offlinedoug_E_fresh
the shroomerysrapper

#4343197 - 06/27/05 01:24 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Thank you all for the wonderful ideas. I have had at one point a whole walk in closet and 2 Martha's going as fruiting chambers, and I have been around for a few years so I know all the basics, and where to get all the supplies I will need, casing and bulk and shit.

I just can't figure out how to maximize the the fruiting area of the room to it's potential without inviting contams. I could do like 8 Martha's, but it's a hassle messing with all those ultrasonics and cool mists. I just need the room to to be a fruiting chamber too.

I was maybe thinking like tables along the walls on both sides, and just having a shit load of trays on the tables. Now I would enclose those tables by plastic, but the plastic wouldn't go to the ceiling, just over the tables giving the mushrooms enough room to grow. I would do that by building supports out of PVC to go on the sides and 2 points in the middle of the table. That would hold the plastic up, thus making it like a huge Martha.

Now the problem with that is, how would i incorporate a way to get in the chamber and tent to the mushrooms. Plus, how could I do air exchange?

Am I just crazy? Is there an easyer way of going about a mushroom grow of this size?

--------------------

InvisibleRoadkillM
Retired Shroomery Mod
Male User Gallery

Loc: Montana
Trusted Cultivator
    #4343222 - 06/27/05 01:31 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

I agree with agar...

I'd use heavy duty plastic...Visqueen <--Industrial name

I'd cover the walls, ceiling and floor with it...and seal it with duct tape.

I'd make a walk in area with 2 sets of drapes of Visqueen...like you see in a professional clean room.
In this walk in area...you could change clothes and put on clothes to work in...and what have you.

this is purely fictional...

lolzz

--------------------
Laterz, Road

Who the hell you callin crazy?
You wouldn't know what crazy was if Charles Manson was eating froot loops on your front porch!

Brainiac said:
PM the names with on there names, that means they have mushrooms for sale.

Invisibleagar
old hand
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #4343234 - 06/27/05 01:33 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

You would get more space for trays, using a series of wall mounted racks - or shelves, than with tables.

--------------------

Offlinedoug_E_fresh
the shroomerysrapper

#4343326 - 06/27/05 01:52 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

agar said:
You would get more space for trays, using a series of wall mounted racks - or shelves, than with tables.

Sweet idea. New idea.

You know those plastic shelving units you can get at home depot for your garage. How about line the wall with those, then plasticing it all in. How would I get in there to tend to them? Make double layered flaps out of the plastic that are centered in front of each shelving unit?

--------------------

Offlinexburn
V card
    #4343770 - 06/27/05 03:40 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

no make the double layered flap in the door space. so its like an "Airlock" then your hepa filter will alot of the bad bugs outta there.

i'll draw you a pic in a minute

--------------------
Check out the official MushroomWiki at http://www.mushroomwiki.com. Stop by and contribute.

Offlinexburn
V card
    #4343900 - 06/27/05 04:06 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

like this. is your room 15X15 exactly? where is the door l;octed. whats your budget like? gimme this info and i'll post a better pic. you'll like it : )

--------------------
Check out the official MushroomWiki at http://www.mushroomwiki.com. Stop by and contribute.

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Making a Grow ROOM. Few Q's. Any help welcome [Re: xburn]
    #4343959 - 06/27/05 04:20 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

For shelves, I use the plastic ones in my closet along the walls, but looking back, I wish I had choosen the metal ones that hand on your wall. They adjust easily, are easy to put up, easy to arrange in any way you like, cheap. Check the closet Organization section in Home Depot. Other then that, those plastic shelves work great. Line the walls with tarps and a few shelves here and there. You ever see Hyphaes friends (really is his friend) setup? Something like that..think I got some pics...

--------------------

OfflineArcanePerception
 User Gallery

#4344401 - 06/27/05 06:31 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Wow that place Is a wet dream come true if I only had that much space and a way to hide a whole room smart how he put the lights under the clear plastic that way no electrical fires or shorts definitely follow that example when you make your room

--------------------

OfflineArcanePerception
 User Gallery

#4344409 - 06/27/05 06:36 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Agar what do you use to heat that dead fridge incubator?

--------------------

OfflinePraseodymn
The Stranger
Loc: The Moon! Yes! haha!
    #4344486 - 06/27/05 07:05 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

just install a walk-in refrigerator, disconnect the compressor, and grow in there. Should only be about 20 grand.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder