Home | Community | Message Board

FreeSpores.com
Please support our sponsors.

Community >> The Pub

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Hemp, Phish, San Pedro

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Invisiblesoochi
Chef
 User Gallery

Loc: The Richest County
why the dead bashing post was locked
    #4340381 - 06/26/05 10:35 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

I think it's a little unfair for someone to not be able to speak they're mind. I mean we're not all into the whole jam band thing, myself included. sheesh!

--------------------
Wee, sleeket, cowran, tim'rous beastie,
O, what panic's in thy breastie!
Thou need na start awa sae hasty,
Wi' bickering brattle!

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleTYL3R
Male User Gallery

Loc: Chico
Re: why the dead bashing post was locked [Re: soochi]
    #4340395 - 06/26/05 10:38 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

That thread was straight drama.

Maybe if he hadn't made a thread about this one in OTD....

I'm all for discussion. :yesnod:

InvisibleBurke Dennings

Re: why the dead bashing post was locked [Re: TYL3R]
    #4340397 - 06/26/05 10:38 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

I'm sure this one will be locked as well.

--------------------
This will not go undocumented.

InvisibleCherryBomM
Yoga Gypsy
Female User Gallery

Loc: Ontario
    #4340398 - 06/26/05 10:38 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

That thread was started with no other intent then to cause drama.  In other words, it was created to be locked.  Some people like to fuck around like that.

Our doobie is one of them.  :heart:

--------------------

Invisiblegdman
badger, badger,badger...
Male User Gallery

Loc: Dancing In the Streets
    #4340399 - 06/26/05 10:39 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

It was locked because he went to OTD and made a post saying "there was about to be a lynching" with a link to the dead post, he was trying to stir up shit in the pub so it got locked. Read the reason at the end of the thread.

--------------------

Got a question about a substance?  Erowid might already have your answer! Have questions about the  mushroom experience? The  Tripper's FAQ may have your answer or someone else might have had your question before.

I know up on the top you are seeing great sights, but down at the bottom we, too, should have rights.
  - Theodor Seuss Geisel Dr. Suess

"I didn't come here to be easily understood" - Steve

InvisibleTYL3R
Male User Gallery

Re: why the dead bashing post was locked [Re: Burke Dennings]
    #4340401 - 06/26/05 10:40 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

electrode said:
I'm sure this one will be locked as well.

i imagine it might :lol:

Invisiblevivid
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Loc: Berkeley, California
    #4340409 - 06/26/05 10:42 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

its understandable to lock it seeing how he was making a post in OTD.. i still think the dead sucks though.

InvisibleTYL3R
Male User Gallery

Re: why the dead bashing post was locked [Re: vivid]
    #4340412 - 06/26/05 10:44 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Make a sincere discussion about it...

...then prove to me that they do.

Offlinekeepontruckin
Weir on amission from Bob
    #4340436 - 06/26/05 10:51 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

There have been posts proclaiming the Dead suck before that have gotte nbig but were not locked.

This one must of been different? Could it be the thread have some tinge of mysterious drama that didn't fit into the administrations scheme of user moderation?

--------------------
It's so far out the way out is in
George Harrison

Offlineonetime
onetime
 User Gallery

Re: why the dead bashing post was locked [Re: keepontruckin]
    #4340446 - 06/26/05 10:54 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

i dont really like slow music but they seem like they were doing the best they could for the time they were around i wonder what they would have done with out lsd ? janiters ? bus drivers security guards

--------------------

See?
Yes, with my own three eyes.
Depression, Misspells , wanting everying thing i cant have haveing nothing i want

Invisiblesoochi
Chef
 User Gallery

#4340648 - 06/26/05 11:48 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

I can respect the Dead's (GD) long standing music history and their impact on so many people, but can we seriously say that that impact wasn't completely drug driven? Not to say that other bands aren't associated with drug use (a shitload are). But c'mon, why else could someone be able to enjoy a thirty minute song?

I recently saw an episode of Tucker Carlson where he interviewed Phil Lesh, and in that interview he asked why so many people were into their music; Lesh said that many feel as if greatful dead concerts were the last real adventure in America, he likened it to riding the rails (which we can't do anymore). Basically speaking about the whole hippy movement, communing with groups and the whole single mind thing, blah, blah, blah. (you know). Now, I know we all have different taste in music, and like certain things for many different reasons, but the reason I not so into the jam band movement is because of the kind of lifestyle and attitude it condones. I went to college for four years and made friends with these two brothers, who are really into Phish, Widespread, the whole deal, and over the years I went from really not liking them to being best friends, namely because over those years I began to see a change and shift in their attitude. Gone were the dreads (which by the way looked ridiculous on them) the non-caring attitude (both physically and mentally) and the belief that you can trust anyone who wears hemp or glass beads. Eventually they realized traveling on the road with a band most of their lives became impracticel, irresponsible and ambitionless (is that even a word?, anyway)We're very close friends now, and for the most part they still both like to listen to jam band music, although they're not as fanatical as they once were. I kid a lot about "hating hippies" but the truth is eventually you gotta grow up, become responsible and make a living. I find it quite sad that the lives of some people completely revolve around a band, if you're so enamoured, take up instrument lessons, contribute and at least make a living of it. If you just want to stand around, be smelly, get high and feel the groove then don't complain about all the shit "the man" is doing to bring you down.

Moreover, I've listened to a lot of jam band music (obviously with those two in the house) and although some of it did strke my fancy (although most are really folk or bluegrass) A lot the music sounded really non-structured; and I know I'll get a lot of shit for this, but a lot of them (not all) I felt really aren't talented musicians. I mean they play off the cuff and expect people are high enough to really not care if it sounds like utter noise; also I hate the fact that if a jam band decides to play the stupidest song at a concert that it's all of sudden "cool" to like it.

Has anyone heard the live acoustic version of "Big Love" by Fleetwood Mac? Now I'm not a big fan of Fleetwood Mac, but how can you possibly deny Lindsey Buckinghams' talent after hearing that? Or Santana? or John Pizzarelli? These people can fuckin' play. I don't neccisarilly base my music likes on instrument talent, but I at least like to know that some thought went into producing a song and that their dedication to the art is to a point that they've mastered their chosen instrument. Also, why are all jam bands so fuckin' happy? I mean, they sound like songwriters for Barney the purple dinosaur, I think some of the best music is that from which stems out of anger, lost, heartbreak, etc., emotions we all don't want to feel, but feel better after having felt them.

Please, I know, I'm far from being the voice of reason for those into jam bands; and I don't pass judgement on people who like em. Again I have a lot of friend who are into it. This is simply an observation I've come up with through personal experience and exposure.

Sorry, this turned out to be more of a rant on jam bands in general then on the Dead specifically.

--------------------
Wi' bickering brattle!

Edited by soochi (06/26/05 11:55 PM)

InvisibleTHE KRAT BARON
one-eyed willie
 User Gallery
    #4340673 - 06/26/05 11:55 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

So you don't like jambands? What is the point of starting a discussion to prove that you do not like jambands? I believe you dude, no need to stress out over it. People have their own opinions on music as you have already stated yourself.

:sun:

--------------------
m00nshine is currently vacationing in Maui. Rumor has it he got rolled by drunken natives and is currently prostituting himself in order to pay for airfare back to the mainland but he's having trouble juggling a hairon addiction. He won't be back for a long while.

Invisiblesoochi
Chef
 User Gallery

Re: why the dead bashing post was locked [Re: THE KRAT BARON]
    #4340703 - 06/27/05 12:02 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

What's the point of starting discussion at all? That was the whole point of starting this thread. It seemed to me if you go against the grain that you get harassed for it, or your thread gets locked.

and why the hostility? maybe someone would like to hear from the other side.

--------------------
Wi' bickering brattle!

Invisiblegdman
badger, badger,badger...
Male User Gallery

Loc: Dancing In the Streets
    #4340724 - 06/27/05 12:08 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

The only reason the thread was locked was because he made it with the intention of causing drama, not discussing music. His post in otd made his intent clear. So the thread got locked.

--------------------

Got a question about a substance?  Erowid might already have your answer! Have questions about the  mushroom experience? The  Tripper's FAQ may have your answer or someone else might have had your question before.

I know up on the top you are seeing great sights, but down at the bottom we, too, should have rights.
  - Theodor Seuss Geisel Dr. Suess

"I didn't come here to be easily understood" - Steve

Invisiblesoochi
Chef
 User Gallery

Re: why the dead bashing post was locked [Re: gdman]
    #4340729 - 06/27/05 12:09 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

gotcha.

--------------------
Wi' bickering brattle!

InvisibleTHE KRAT BARON
one-eyed willie
 User Gallery
    #4340742 - 06/27/05 12:14 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

I wasnt being hostile bro. I was just expressing my point of view on your topic.

:heart:

--------------------
m00nshine is currently vacationing in Maui. Rumor has it he got rolled by drunken natives and is currently prostituting himself in order to pay for airfare back to the mainland but he's having trouble juggling a hairon addiction. He won't be back for a long while.

InvisibleCherryBomM
Yoga Gypsy
Female User Gallery

Loc: Ontario
    #4340746 - 06/27/05 12:17 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

I thought that was a cool rant. I totally understand why you feel the way that you do and given your experiences, it's justified.

--------------------

OfflineDeadPhan
Male User Gallery

Re: why the dead bashing post was locked [Re: CherryBom]
    #4340876 - 06/27/05 01:03 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

i like to make posts that say this band sux or that band sux. thats good time biding fun!

--------------------

Big Gulps!  Alright!  Well,  See ya later!
And if i claim to be a wise man, well, it surely means that i dont know!

InvisibleGeordi_La_Forge
Home Wrecker -DBK
Female User Gallery

Loc: African Confederation, Ea...
Re: why the dead bashing post was locked [Re: DeadPhan]
    #4340941 - 06/27/05 01:27 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

/me bites tounge

--------------------

OfflineGrav
 User Gallery

Loc: Flag
    #4340972 - 06/27/05 01:36 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

I enjoyed your rant, Soochi.

I'm not really into traditional jam-band music either.  It's great at certain times, but usually just kind of annoying.  I think maybe I just don't like how it's based around trying to connect with people and just wash feel-good vibes over them.  That doesn't work for me personally.  I like music that is sort of mysterious, like you're not sure if it's a friend or an enemy, like an uncharted environment, music that really tries to communicate the idea that it's always a new moment, but subtley with it's originality --- not by just saying so in the lyrics.  I guess what I'm trying to say is that jam bands (for the most part) usually always sound the same to me.  I don't hear any signs of exploration.

I used to be into the whole "mainstream hippyish" lifestyle (that is-smoke alot of dope, hold complete distrust for the establishment, drop acid, go to festivals, question the nature of reality and such, hate work, etc.).  The whole lifestyle kind of depresses me now.  I just feel like I've 'been there-done that', and that it seems like a stagnant place to be.  Well hmmm... I still do most of those things... I don't trip or go to festivals anymore, mainly because tripping is way too much of a mindfuck, and festivals are full of dirty druggy scumbags.  And I like work alot now, I feel really unhealthy when I don't put alot of effort into the day.  Just remembering how much time I wasted sitting around, watching tv, or playing videogames, makes me shudder. 

But at the time I sincerely believed I was in with the 'right crowd', and that the rest of the world was wrong somehow.  I felt in-touch with the universe and the moment(actually more like I was just repeatedly telling myself I was), but looking back now all I can think of is how close-minded I was to everything thats going on around me.  I am really glad that I went to college... and I can't say I'm close to being in any much better of a financial position than I was coming out of highschool, but just being exposed to different views and perspectives on life works wonders on your mind. 

I still enjoy and respect the aspect of trancing (that's what I think people are doing when they trip on hallucinogens, or get really lost in their favorite jam-band performance.)  They're going to a place that brings them serenity, and lets them forget their physical surroundings.  Humans have been doing it since their beginning.  Christians do it with Jesus, Native Americans do it with mescaline, I still do it with the band Tool on occasion, and also usually at band practice. :smile: 

I just think it's worth noting that this behavior can become addictive and can take away from the rest of your physical experience.  I think life is meant to be confusing, dirty, and messy, and you're really missing out on the real 'You' if you are just hanging out in the clouds all day

and another thing... hrmm, what were we talking about again?

oh well, I have the munchies.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Hemp, Phish, San Pedro

Community >> The Pub