Home | Community | Message Board

Magic-Mushrooms-Shop.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineBenKenobi
Enlightened 1
 User Gallery

Loc: Europe
Misting a Casing... (newb)
    #4319727 - 06/21/05 05:44 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

My first set of brf jars are bout 50% colinised atm and im planing on casing them. Have just read hyphae  Casing dos and dont (very informative, and excellent read  :thumbup:) and just have couple quick questions.

1) for the bottom layer of the casing is is required that this be pre-sterilised, like the 50/50 top layer? (I havent read that it dosent need to be so im wondering why u migth not get contams in it??)
2) In hyphae article he talks alot about getin the casin at the optimal saturation point by mistin which i understand but if i plan on seting up a PMP will this take care of that or will it still need to be reguarly misted until pinset has kicked in.
3) (sorry last question) When u say regular mistin periods, does this mean once every 12hrs or once every hr once its cased until its reached the optimal saturation.

Much appreaciated.
Cheers for all the great info on this site so far  :thumbup:

--------------------
Old Ben

I beleive that my job in mappin the impulse pathways of a single neuron can allow us to open a mecca into the quailitative functions of the human geno...

Please support your local free spore ring by sendin back prints from successful grows, FSRE

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineHotnuts
old hand
 User Gallery

Loc: Wild Blue Yawnder
Re: Misting a Casing... (newb) [Re: BenKenobi]
    #4319760 - 06/21/05 06:22 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

BenKenobi said:
My first set of brf jars are bout 50% colinised atm and im planing on casing them. Have just read hyphae  Casing dos and dont (very informative, and excellent read  :thumbup:) and just have couple quick questions.

1) for the bottom layer of the casing is is required that this be pre-sterilised, like the 50/50 top layer? (I havent read that it dosent need to be so im wondering why u migth not get contams in it??) With cakes used in a tray, I don't recommend using a bottom casing layer. I only recommend those for newbs to whole grains like wbs, rye exc. Just crush the cakes and spread in a tray evenly. Then case with 50/50 mix.
2) In hyphae article he talks alot about getin the casin at the optimal saturation point by mistin which i understand but if i plan on seting up a PMP will this take care of that or will it still need to be reguarly misted until pinset has kicked in. A pmp with a aquarium pump for air exchange?
3) (sorry last question) When u say regular mistin periods, does this mean once every 12hrs or once every hr once its cased until its reached the optimal saturation. This really depends on your enviroment. Like temps, humidity in your area, exc. You can tell when 50/50 mix casings of coir or peat start to dry out by the color change on them. When they start to dry out a bit, you'll be able to tell with ease. The color will start to lighten up on top of the casing layer. Simply replenish with a mist maintaining it's correct field capacity moisture level. Look at the coir or peat prior to moistening and then after it's moistened and you'll see what I mean.

Much appreaciated.
Cheers for all the great info on this site so far  :thumbup:

Look in the quote box for my answers brotha :thumbup:

OfflineBenKenobi
Enlightened 1
 User Gallery

Loc: Europe
Re: Misting a Casing... (newb) [Re: Hotnuts]
    #4319764 - 06/21/05 06:28 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

thanx nutz, ill try without the bottom casin layer then see how it goes.

Yer i was playin on seting up a tub with hyrotron, water, and bubbler wand attacted to an aquarium air pump, with a few holes in the lid to allow for a lesser RH and better air exchange. Will the casing just take the moisture it needs out of the air to achieves its on optimal saturation or would the occasional mistin still be required?
I suppose ill find out by lookin to see if the top layer of the casing starts to dry out.

Cheers

--------------------
Old Ben

I beleive that my job in mappin the impulse pathways of a single neuron can allow us to open a mecca into the quailitative functions of the human geno...

Please support your local free spore ring by sendin back prints from successful grows, FSRE

OfflineHotnuts
old hand
 User Gallery

Loc: Wild Blue Yawnder
Re: Misting a Casing... (newb) [Re: BenKenobi]
    #4319789 - 06/21/05 06:52 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

It will need a mist from time to time. Optimal RH's for casings are around 70-80% IMO. In that case, you'll need to mist the casing layer from time to time. It's easy. Just watch out for the color change. Good luck!

Offlinewannabemushy
Stranger

Re: Misting a Casing... (newb) [Re: Hotnuts]
    #4339664 - 06/26/05 04:28 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Here is a picture of my casing and myc.. i havent misted any times before just today was the first time i misted.. ive been trying to fruit it for the past 4 days.. i dont have a question, unless something looks wrong then let me know :smile:.

Edited by wannabemushy (06/26/05 04:30 PM)

Invisibledog
straw dog

Loc: Route 66
Re: Misting a Casing... (newb) [Re: wannabemushy]
    #4339697 - 06/26/05 04:43 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Those look very dry.

--------------------

Fascism (fash'izem) n. A governmental system marked by a centralized dictatorship, stringent socioeconomic controls, and often belligerent nationalism. see also: the Bush Administration.

Offlinewannabemushy
Stranger

Re: Misting a Casing... (newb) [Re: dog]
    #4339722 - 06/26/05 04:50 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

really!!! should i mist some more right now? i misted about 5-6 sprays very far up so the drops are small when they land on the casing.

Invisibledog
straw dog

Loc: Route 66
Re: Misting a Casing... (newb) [Re: wannabemushy]
    #4339764 - 06/26/05 05:05 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Yes. Don't mist it heavily all at once. You should mist lightly multiple times per day until the casing reaches near saturation. When the moisture level is optimum, continue misting just enough to keep it that way.

--------------------

Fascism (fash'izem) n. A governmental system marked by a centralized dictatorship, stringent socioeconomic controls, and often belligerent nationalism. see also: the Bush Administration.

InvisibleTien
人民英雄
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Canoodia Flag
Re: Misting a Casing... (newb) [Re: dog]
    #4339842 - 06/26/05 05:33 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Looks like you got some overlay going on there too, or not enough casing layer.

I would suggest patching up those corners a bit.

Pluto

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix