Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineAshZ
Stranger

First Choice For a Newbie
    #4338858 - 06/26/05 10:13 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Ok so I have been lurking for quite some time. I just registered Yesterday. My question is on what strain my friend should decide to work with? He has on hand syringes of following.
African
KSSS
TAK
Pink Buff.
As well as a various assortment of other Thai strains. Any input? I am mainly concerned with which strain everyone feels would be most forgiving. Being new to this my friend just wants advice on which to begin with. Thanks for any responses.

My friend will be using Rye berries cased with 50/50 verm/Coco.

--------------------
-------------

"Apparently adoption leads to serial killing.." Kramer

Edited by AshOfTheFallen (06/26/05 10:20 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineprefloppro
Last Call
Re: First Choice For a Newbie [Re: AshZ]
    #4338867 - 06/26/05 10:16 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

I believe KSSS or Pink buffalo would be the most forgiving, but that all depends on the methods you use. Its really a toss up though.

Offlinelemon_lw
Stranger

Loc: That Way
Re: First Choice For a Newbie [Re: prefloppro]
    #4338874 - 06/26/05 10:18 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

actually i wouldnt suggest KSSS for a first grow they are picky from my experience. but for his first grow i would make 12 jars 3 of each kind. then he will be able to decide what he likes for himself

--------------------
In the belly of the Leviathan, one can either despair and perish, or be cheerful and persevere.-Dean Koontz

Edited by lemon_lw (06/26/05 10:20 AM)

Offlineprefloppro
Last Call
Re: First Choice For a Newbie [Re: lemon_lw]
    #4338890 - 06/26/05 10:26 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

KSSS was my first grow so I am biased and I have heard they are fast colonizers and good fruiters.

OfflineAshZ
Stranger

Re: First Choice For a Newbie [Re: lemon_lw]
    #4338895 - 06/26/05 10:27 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Excellent idea. My friend had the same thought. He is just worried he would be jumping in to it with too much at once. But should he only make three of each it should be a pretty thorough indicator of what likes his tek best. Out of curiosity is there one strain in particular that he should NOT attempt on the first go? Particularly the African perhaps? Thoughts from anyone familiar. Thanks again.

--------------------
-------------

OfflineWronguy
Trusted Cultivator
    #4338936 - 06/26/05 10:52 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Welcome to the Shroomery. It's always good to have new members around here. There is a lot of information to read up on, so take your time. Here is some food for thought:

1. Skip the easy PF Tek and go straight into bulk cultivation.
2. Learn about grains, especially WBS, and you'll never look back.
3. Study up on all the terrarium types, Martha, Double/Single Tub, PMP and decide which one will work best for you.
4. Read up on casing.

Bulk cultivation is the easiest method of growing if you have access to horse manure and a little patience. I have never fruited cakes and I never will. Some people do it the easy way first and slowly get into the other methods. My second grow was with bulk cultivation and was a lot easier than I thought it ever could be.

Once you get the hang of how things work, you'll be growing bumper crops in no time.

Always make sure to do a search before you post on this forum. It will save you and the other members a lot of time and frustration. Most questions have been asked several times and only require you to search and commit to some reading. If you find that the search only confuses you further, post a question and the members will be more than happy to help.

Again, welcome to the Shroomery. Good luck in your cultivating endeavors.

OfflineAshZ
Stranger

#4338946 - 06/26/05 10:59 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Thanks for the response guys. I guess I should have clarified. The reason for my lurking for almost two years now was to gather as much info as I could that is already here. I already have the info accumulated for the Tek I will be using. I am going to also be using the single tub tek. I am not going to use the PF cake teks as I feel I have gathered enough info and confidence to go straight to grain. I will not be going to poo straight away though. Perhaps in the future once I get the hang of things. I just mainly wanted to get opinions on the strains my friend has and what would be a bad choice to start off with and what would be a good choice. I believe I will try a few and see what I like and what they like. Thanks again.

--------------------
-------------

InvisibleHolydiver
Stranger
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: The midnight sea
Trusted Cultivator
    #4338988 - 06/26/05 11:19 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Welcome, AshOfTheFallen.:mushroom2:  :thumbup:  I agree with the others, skip the PF tek and learn about grains.  Then step it up to spawning those grains to poo.  I wish I could get those months back that I struggled with the PF tek and cakes.

--------------------
To find a place to live between the negatives and positives.

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: First Choice For a Newbie [Re: Holydiver]
    #4338999 - 06/26/05 11:24 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

I'm glad I didnt waste months with cakes (never done one). I did as Diver suggested...grains for a while, then spawned them to poo. I wish I had started spawning to poo long ago though, I feel I wasted months on grains..I shouldve spawned to poo my first or second grow. Its so damn easy...cakes are no less difficult IMO. The only benefit from them is no PC needed.

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

InvisibleHolydiver
Stranger
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: The midnight sea
Trusted Cultivator
Re: First Choice For a Newbie [Re: scatmanrav]
    #4339005 - 06/26/05 11:27 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

In my opinion cakes also require much more skill, attention and strict growing conditions than a regular casing or bulk grow. Not to mention tedious mixtures and near perfect moisture content. All that work for a 1/2 pint jar.

Funny that it's considered a "beginner" tek, far from it IMO.

--------------------
To find a place to live between the negatives and positives.

Offlinewillmafingerdo
the noob
Male User Gallery

Re: First Choice For a Newbie [Re: scatmanrav]
    #4339008 - 06/26/05 11:29 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

i tired cakes 2 times.. and had no luck either time.. then i whent to grain.. but from doing the cakes and going threw all the hastle i appricate the simplicity and ease of grain!! i cant wait to try some poo, never thought i would be happy to get a bowl full of poo:)

--------------------
:scaryshroom: :shitstorm: :mattz: :bongload: :gethigh: :scaryshroom:

I am not lost.. i am going there looking for it.. and when i get there and find it, i will know what it is..

"The way to stop violence is not to go out and let your head be beaten in but to say, you want to take my life risk yours!"

"are you sure u want to eat all them shrooms??"  "yes i want to hear what my mind has to say..."

remember opions are like assholes, everyone has one and they all stink.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck