Home | Community | Message Board

Zamnesia.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Air Pump, Brown Rice Flour, Rye Grain, Wild Bird Seed

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Invisiblemyndreach
philosopher
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
I CHALLENGE YOU! Urgent Help! Save the grow! Win 5 shrooms...no help so far...
    #4338752 - 06/26/05 11:09 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Well I posted something similar last week or so and am still having the same problem.

If you check the growlog, you will see there are issues in size. The pinsets are not great, but okay. The pins, however, only grow about 1-2 inches and are very thin, and then open up. There are two different strains and both are doing it (Argentina , s. african). One case is 50/50, and the others are poo, and all are doing it.

It is fanned 5-8 times a day. It is in 70-74 degrees. It was a bit dry, but has been very humid now for the last few days, with no change. There is a 60W flourescent bulb about 3 feet above the chamber. The light is on from 8-12 hours a day.

Help is needed! 5 shrooms if you can figure out what the problem is

The chamber is an opaque rubbermaid that has the lid snapped on when not being fanned. There is a hole about 12" by 12" cut in the top with a piece of plexiglass caulked on and then the whole cover has seran wrap taped over the plexiglass to make sure it's air tight.

PLEASE SAVE THIS GROW!

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/4208261/an/0/page/0

Edited by myndreach (06/26/05 11:18 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinelemon_lw
Stranger
 Arcade Champion: Rotation

Loc: That Way
Re: I CHALLENGE YOU! Urgent Help! Save the grow! Win 5 shrooms...no help so far... [Re: myndreach]
    #4338761 - 06/26/05 11:16 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

whats the light cycle?

--------------------
In the belly of the Leviathan, one can either despair and perish, or be cheerful and persevere.-Dean Koontz

Invisiblemyndreach
philosopher
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: I CHALLENGE YOU! Urgent Help! Save the grow! Win 5 shrooms...no help so far... [Re: lemon_lw]
    #4338764 - 06/26/05 11:17 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

edited original post to show light cycle and describe container.

Edited by myndreach (06/26/05 11:17 AM)

Invisibleagar
old hand
 User Gallery

Loc: Somewhere Else
Trusted Cultivator
Re: I CHALLENGE YOU! Urgent Help! Save the grow! Win 5 shrooms...no help so far... [Re: myndreach]
    #4338767 - 06/26/05 11:19 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Shroom myc translocates moisture from a substrate & casing cover to form fruit bodies (Fruit bodies obtain 54-83% of their water from the substrate and 17-46% from the casing layer (Kalberer, 1985)).

Sounds like yours lacked sufficant moisture to form large fruit bodies. Once you have a pinset, there isn't anything you can do - to cure that - as caps have formed -&- will open.

Once you have harvested the first flush, you might think about adding a thicker casing cover, water the casing well, supply plenty of humidity & you may get larger fruits - out of your second flush, if plenty of nutriants remaim in the substrate.

--------------------

Offlinelemon_lw
Stranger
 Arcade Champion: Rotation

Loc: That Way
    #4338773 - 06/26/05 11:24 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

youve got me. it sound slike airexchange to me but you should be good. i guess the l=only thing i could suggest is to take a step back and do cakes and then try casings at a later date.

--------------------
In the belly of the Leviathan, one can either despair and perish, or be cheerful and persevere.-Dean Koontz

Invisiblemyndreach
philosopher
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: I CHALLENGE YOU! Urgent Help! Save the grow! Win 5 shrooms...no help so far... [Re: agar]
    #4338787 - 06/26/05 11:39 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

agar said:

Sounds like yours lacked sufficant moisture to form large fruit bodies. Once you have a pinset, there isn't anything you can do - to cure that - as caps have formed -&- will open.

The 50/50 case wasn't moisturized much...until it was dunked after the first flush.

The poo cases were saturated with a good amount of water just after being put into the fruiting chamber, so I'm not sure how more moisture could have been added...

Is there no way to add water to the case? What about sticking some sort of small funnel/straw into an unpinning area and adding water down into the case?

Edited by myndreach (06/26/05 11:39 AM)

Invisiblemyndreach
philosopher
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #4338800 - 06/26/05 11:45 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

I mean, hell, the 50/50 case was even dunked after the first flush, so it has plenty of water. I really don't think that is the case.

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #4338903 - 06/26/05 12:32 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

You got a bunch of tiny tiny tiny casings there. One big aluminum pan, but if the genetics in the tray arent great, there you go.

Another thing, IME, when I spawn or case these days with multiple jars of the same strain...I keep one jar to the side, then a jar next to it and so on, so the jars arent mixed inwith eachother. Every jar will have varied genetics, depending on which substrains dominated within the jar..so if you mixed alot of half pints to get that big casing, that could be reason for the small pins and slow growth..there does seem to be a number of pins though, and the ones you picked didnt really look aborted.

I really have noticed that some strains are a pain in the ass too, and it may be time to try a different one. Everything looks pretty moist, nothing pulling from the sides...is it manual air exchange or you got an air pump or something? If manual fanning a few times a day that could play a big part. Also very cold temps results in slow growth, as will fluctuating temps. Beyond that, I'm not to sure. I'd suggest limiting your experiments down a whole bnch though, you got all sorts of container sizes and thicknesses and a couple strains..try and only change one variable at a time. I'd get some rye or WBS, and do a casing or two of 2-4 strains...everything being equal...then keep the strain that does best, taking lots of prints and maybe a clone of the best shroom, then start using different containers and sizes or substrates casing mixes, whatever, to get what works best for you and that strain.

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

Invisiblemyndreach
philosopher
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: I CHALLENGE YOU! Urgent Help! Save the grow! Win 5 shrooms...no help so far... [Re: scatmanrav]
    #4339134 - 06/26/05 02:28 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Thanks scatman.

The casings are one strain each, the strains weren't mixed in a case. Each case is its own strain. It is manual air exchange, fanned daily about 6 times.

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Trusted Cultivator
    #4339228 - 06/26/05 03:02 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

>The casings are one strain each, the strains weren't mixed in a case.

I didnt say STRAIN, I said when casing SUBSTRAINS together:

"when I spawn or case these days with multiple jars of the same strain...I keep one jar to the side, then a jar next to it and so on, so the jars arent mixed inwith eachother."

Within a strain, there are multiple types of mycelium. Kinda like how theres the human species (cubensis here), split into races (strains here), but every person, even of the same race is unique and different..and remember most people are a mix of multiple races, just like a jar is a mix of multiple substrains within that strain..all of those traits differ just as much as from person to person. If your breeding for uniformity, you want to eliminate cross breeding as much as possible.

This is a very small aspect, and probably just one of many small things that led you to the results that you did..

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Offlinelardnar
Pu Pu Platter
Male

Loc: Behind what appears
    #4339243 - 06/26/05 03:06 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

myndreach said:
Thanks scatman.

The casings are one strain each, the strains weren't mixed in a case. Each case is its own strain. It is manual air exchange, fanned daily about 6 times.

I'm not sure if you understand what he meant. Even though they are the same strain, they will still have different genetics the same way your genetics would be different than your brother or sisters' would. Some traits are going to be prominant and some will not, based on nature. He was suggesting in the future to try not to mix cakes of the same strain even, keep them to the same area of the casing.

Not sure if that is your problem or not, just looking to clarify for you

--------------------
If your soul is sence this life is lost ...

Invisiblemyndreach
philosopher
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: I CHALLENGE YOU! Urgent Help! Save the grow! Win 5 shrooms...no help so far... [Re: lardnar]
    #4339262 - 06/26/05 03:13 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Okay, so how would you spawn to poo then? Isn't the point of poo to mix all the jars up within the poo as much as possible to get lots of inoculation points?

In every casing tek I've seen, the cakes are crumbled up together.

Edited by myndreach (06/26/05 03:17 PM)

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Trusted Cultivator
    #4339284 - 06/26/05 03:26 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

I didnt say it couldnt be done, you can mix substrains all you like...but the more you mix up the substrains, the worse off you are. You used 1/2 pints I believe right? How many did it take for the big poo casing? 1 or 2 jarr is usualy less of a problem then 3-6..

You can mix up a jar, with the amount of poo the jar gets, mix it up well, lots of inoculation points...then push it off to the side...repeat for the next jar. And it doesnt have to be EXACT. You can dump all the poo in, dump one jar on one half the casing, then mix it into the half of poo that is under it, and do the same for the other half of the casing. You still mix the jars with the poo and mix them well, you just dont mix all your jars, THEN mix with poo.

This is NOT your PROBELM...you dont have A problem, you got a lot of little ones IMO..all of that is stuff that comes with experience..that is one of them (use larger jars or bags, and mix them with the poo seperately). I also think that all of your casings dont have enough nutes...there are some BRF ones which are doing what BRF should do, and then poo ones, but they arent very big. And the one big one you did do, you shreaded the myc up well and mixed a bunch together so I think that hurt that one casing a LITTLE. I also think the strain, or genetics, probably just isnt that great..and I have a feeling there are some other less then optimal conditions.

--------------------

Invisiblemyndreach
philosopher
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: I CHALLENGE YOU! Urgent Help! Save the grow! Win 5 shrooms...no help so far... [Re: scatmanrav]
    #4339438 - 06/26/05 04:53 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

I see now. Okay.

Thanks for all the input everyone. BTW there are some monster pins just under the case surface...and one pin is getting huge...

I poured a bit of distilled water into each case, and they look more wet now and it seems to have made a positive difference.

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Trusted Cultivator
    #4340829 - 06/27/05 12:46 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Thats a good thing...the large casing should still do well, even if pins grow slowly, they should still yeild decently and mature. Good luck :smile:

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Air Pump, Brown Rice Flour, Rye Grain, Wild Bird Seed

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation