Home | Community | Message Board

Marijuana Demystified
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinewintertime
enthusiast
What to do.. what to do...
    #433786 - 10/23/01 12:48 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Finished school today.. for good.. yep.. last day of year 12.. i wasn't upset about it at all or anything, but I am a little worried about what the rest of my life holds. i mean alot of people around me have their future planned out for them, and it makes it a little scary for me when I have absoloutely no idea what I should do.

ive applied for a university course, but i don't know if I want to do it/if it is worth doing. just a bit of background on my interests because i'd love some advice from people who have been in my situation/know someone who has been in my situation. my interests are really literature and music. i love writing and poetry and philosophy and all those things, but next year I think I'll be concentrating on playing music with my band (hopefully try to get ourselves known around the place).

obviously noone can tell me what's going to happen in my life, but is it just my naivity and inexperience in the world that causes me to shun the possibility of a steady job for the rest of my life to seek fun and enjoyment? I mean i'd like to be secure in my life, but an artists life is not really secure... i'm sure its a common situation which is why i'm asking for comments or advice..

should I go to university (once again, advice from experience would be appreciated)? my thinking for no is that the course that I want to do (arts (humanities) ) will just be things that I could learn or do on my own (studying books, types of writing etc) and could spend that time travelling the world while i'm still young and havn't settled down yet. but my thinking for yes is that everyone says that getting a degree helps so much with getting a job (which I will need whether I like it or not) and also I think it will be lots of fun and i would learn more.

anyway.. I realise that it's kind of stupid asking complete strangers about something so major and personal, but I'm sure that in this community there would be many people who are/have been in my position, so I would appreciate some advice.

Thankyou for taking the time to read this

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Anonymous

Re: What to do.. what to do... [Re: wintertime]
    #433796 - 10/23/01 01:00 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

I say you can learn more on your own in real world experience and by educating yourself. It's your decision though...do what feels right.

OfflinegeokillsA
∙∙∙∙☼ º¿° ☼∙∙∙∙
Male User Gallery

Loc: city of angels
    #433800 - 10/23/01 01:13 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

heh... i am in your position :tongue:
i decided to go to a university - in fact, i'm sitting in my dorm right now with laundry running downstairs and hundreds of pages of uninteresting monotonous text to be read for my midterms.  i'll tell you that from my experience so far, there is a lot of bullshit (aka G.E.'s - general education requirements) that these schools put you through that are basically just a whole lot of busy work (just like you were probably used to in hs, i know i was)... 

i'm so confused right now about what i want to do... i don't know what i want to be for sure, but i don't even know if i want to finish this whole university endeavor - it seems like it is such a waste of time, at least until i get to study material relevent to my interests.  and even then, like the post above says, i could just pursue my own interests and through real-world experience learn as much as i need to know.  i've been asking a lot of questions lately =/  unfortunately, i haven't come up with any answers :frown:.

so although i don't have any particular advise for you, i thought i might share my experience with you and let you know that if you do go to a university there will be a lot of stuff that you may not like.  however, it is true that if all else fails and you have a degree you can always fall back on it for some shitty job that you probably won't be happy with anyway... wow, i am pessimistic today aren't i :wink:

if you have a way to be financially secure and can take care of yourself, i'd recommend not going to college, but that is just my opinion, and i'm sure many would be quick to tell you otherwise.  good luck with whatever you do, i know i'll need it.

--------------------

--------------------
··∙   long live the shroomery  ∙··
...π╥ ╥π...

Offlinewintertime
enthusiast
Re: What to do.. what to do... [Re: geokills]
    #433801 - 10/23/01 01:16 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

heh thanks man.. thats what I really want, just stories about peoples experiences
everyone's got a story!

Offlineegolesss
veteran
    #433807 - 10/23/01 01:27 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

You seem to think because others have "Everything" planned out they will be better off, even though you go on to say nothing is definite. I think you are right no one knows what will happen. But from experience this is what I have learned and this is only my experience so flammers leave it be.......Don't worry about what other people are doing, do your on thing. You can make a plan tomorrow and the chances of your visualization and the outcome being the same are very slim....Listen to an old fart and listen close............Doing something is better than doing nothing, luck isn't very lucky it comes from drive. And the last thing, never give up.....You don't have to be gung ho, just patient and always want more never settle for less than you worth..Your worth is what you want it to be....

--------------------
Going crazy will drive you mad, but once you get there the rest is easy....All spores are not created equal!!!!!!!!!!! Sporeworks, Hawkseye, PF, they are completely viable with very strong genetics.

OfflineTimeleech
addict
Loc: Norway
Re: What to do.. what to do... [Re: egolesss]
    #433950 - 10/23/01 08:05 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

I had my plans carved out. I was going to study computer science. Then I figured I would rather do Physics. Then I got accepted for Material-Technology. Now I study Computer Science, but will do some philosophy / semantic cources next semester, then next year I will jump over to Graphic design.

At least that's the plan, but plans, well, they can be quite useless...

--------------------
--
Eternally boggled, flummoxed, bewildered and surprised.
theophagy.org

OfflineAmoeba665
strange
Loc: a hidden microutopia at t...
    #434322 - 10/23/01 04:57 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

first off, let me just say that you should take everything i say with a grain of salt, because i myself am rather confused and unsatisfied with my current path also and thus can offer merely speculation, but not much proven advice.

I think the two most important things to keep in mind here are patience, and doing what you think you need to do and NOT what other people think you should do.

it is useful to examine other people's lives to compare them...but keep in mind that those people who seem to know what they want, usually don't, they're just doing *something* and will probably change their mind. there are a few exceptions, for people who have known what they wanted to do their whole lives and have never wavered, but those people are few.

also don't let other people tell you what the "Best" choice would be (except perhaps for very close friends), because if you do that you won't be doing what feels right to you, and you'll just be wasting time because you can't do what doesn't feel right, it just won't work. and if somehow you do force yourself to do what doesn't feel right, you'll be unhappy about it.

university is a good thing, but only at the right time, and for the right reason. i've always been interested in the same things you are, but in addition to that i love computers and i've been a natural whhen it comes to computer programming. so i let my parents convince me that i needed to get a computer science degree, and i spent 3 years at a community college taking boring math & physics courses that were completely irrelevant and uninteresting, and now i'm at my first semester at a good university and, although i like the school a lot, i'm really discouraged about all this crap they're making me go through and i'm going to quit and work full-time for a while. i'll probably go back eventually after i've done my own thing for a while, unless i find something i would rather do than computer programming. i have my associates, which is a good thing, and i'm almost through with my core courses and if i go back i'll be able to see how i like my major courses, but i rushed myself too much, i never gave myself the chance to explore the world, have fun, decide if i was making the right choice. life isn't a race or a competition, you should judge your success in life by how happy you are with what you've done with your life, not your status compared to other people.

so basically... don't rush yourself, don't convince yourself that you'll like something you won't (but at the same time, don't be afraid of hard work if you know the reward is truly something you'll be happy with), and although it's nice to see what other people do, know that there are no rules saying how to and how not to "make it" in this world.

and remember that there are plenty of other people in the same position as you, it's a part of life so try not to let it bother you too much and just do what feels right, as long as you make sure to work at it.

hopefully that'll make some sense, it was just kind of train-of-thought.

--------------------
---

Offlinethe universe
Harbinger ofEldritch Despair
Male

Loc: Under your bed
Re: What to do.. what to do... [Re: Amoeba665]
    #436620 - 10/25/01 05:16 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

What I've been doing since I graduated from HS last year is been working on and off and lots of drugs. It's a good idea to keep busy, because if you don't you might end up on probation like me or something. Also work sucks, and I'm tired of what the "real world" can teach me. That's why I'm going to college soon. I'm going to a community college for a couple of years then when I know what I'm doing I might just go to university. I probably wont know what I'm doing then either though. You gotta do something though or your parents are going to get militant. They get jealous when you just hang around unemployed waking up at 4 PM and then grabbing all the bottles for gas money and heading out to get fucked up everyday. My real goal though is to be a rockstar.

--------------------
"If you had a million years to do it in, you couldn't rub out even half the 'Fuck you' signs in the world."- J. D. Salinger

Offlinewintertime2
Stranger
Re: What to do.. what to do... [Re: the universe]
    #10535021 - 06/19/09 06:24 AM (7 years, 5 months ago)

hah this is so fucking funny. I wrote that post 8 years ago, end of high school. I'm still just as unsure about my future as I was then. I went to uni, studied philosophy and literature and loved every minute of it. now a new chapter in my life, and have the same feelings. Must just be me. I guess if you are doing what you love right now, then even if you end up in another 8 years looking back, you can say, it was swell.

InvisibleChronic7
 User Gallery

#10535042 - 06/19/09 06:40 AM (7 years, 5 months ago)

do what feels natural to you

some people like to plan ahead
i prefer to live in the moment & trust the universe

for some people the universe makes them plan ahead

do what feels natural to you
do what you love

:peace:

OfflineNoteworthy
Sophyphile
 User Gallery

Re: What to do.. what to do... [Re: Chronic7]
    #10535096 - 06/19/09 07:34 AM (7 years, 5 months ago)

Here is my advice: stop thinking about what you will 'do' with your life until you have worked out what you want your life to 'be'. When you know what you want your life to be, it should not be too hard to start thinking of ways that one might go about acheiving

If you really have no idea, I would reccomend looking for some function in society that needs to be filled, and fill it. Learn to work with things... society will tell you that tradies are low on the social ladder.. because they do dirty work and often have less than intelligent people amongst their ranks... but they are actually quite high in social rank because they are -depended on-

what do you need in this world?

food, shelter, clothes, etc

how can you get those?

one route is to earn money and to pay other people to do this. But this is not teh only way. You can also simply learn how to use your hands to make something useful from teh earth.

I hope these thoughts help you

--------------------

Invisiblezen buddy
not a buddhist
Male User Gallery

#10535876 - 06/19/09 12:10 PM (7 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

wintertime said:
Finished school today.. for good.. yep.. last day of year 12.. i wasn't upset about it at all or anything, but I am a little worried about what the rest of my life holds. i mean alot of people around me have their future planned out for them, and it makes it a little scary for me when I have absoloutely no idea what I should do.
<br>
<br>ive applied for a university course, but i don't know if I want to do it/if it is worth doing. just a bit of background on my interests because i'd love some advice from people who have been in my situation/know someone who has been in my situation. my interests are really literature and music. i love writing and poetry and philosophy and all those things, but next year I think I'll be concentrating on playing music with my band (hopefully try to get ourselves known around the place).
<br>
<br>obviously noone can tell me what's going to happen in my life, but is it just my naivity and inexperience in the world that causes me to shun the possibility of a steady job for the rest of my life to seek fun and enjoyment? I mean i'd like to be secure in my life, but an artists life is not really secure... i'm sure its a common situation which is why i'm asking for comments or advice..
<br>
<br>should I go to university (once again, advice from experience would be appreciated)? my thinking for no is that the course that I want to do (arts (humanities) ) will just be things that I could learn or do on my own (studying books, types of writing etc) and could spend that time travelling the world while i'm still young and havn't settled down yet. but my thinking for yes is that everyone says that getting a degree helps so much with getting a job (which I will need whether I like it or not) and also I think it will be lots of fun and i would learn more.
<br>
<br>anyway.. I realise that it's kind of stupid asking complete strangers about something so major and personal, but I'm sure that in this community there would be many people who are/have been in my position, so I would appreciate some advice.
<br>
<br>Thankyou for taking the time to read this

I would like to share with you some personal experience that may help you.

It's kind of funny because I was actually just talking to my father about this the other day.

I'm 33 years old and currently unemployed because of chronic tendinitis in my hands and arms. Not only am I am able to work because of my condition but I'm also unable to play my guitar. I'm a very well seasoned musician with over 15 years of experience under my belt. Up until my injury I was a very talented musician with a lot of potential. Now that I'm unable to play my guitar I'm finding it very difficult to find my way in this life. I was always content working a simple $12 an hour job to support my music and now I am unable to work or enjoy my music as I would like.

When I was finished high school my family was urging me to continue my education so that I would have something to fall back on. At that time I was very much aware of how much dedication it would take to continue my schooling and that going to school would ultimately mean that my music would suffer. I knew better than to go to school for music as I was already much better than anyone I knew that was currently taking music lessons or going to school for music. The only classes that I did very well in were the ones that I was very interested in and for some reason there were only two classes that I really enjoyed - mathematics and geography. At the time the only career that I considered going to school for was something in computers but I could not seem to apply myself in any of the computer courses that I took.

I decided to pursue my music because that was the only thing that I was sure about. I played guitar in a band that was formed in high school and we stayed together for a few years after high school. The band broke up because a few of the members had promised their parents that they would only pursue the band for a couple of years and if the band did not make it by then they will go back to school. Of course I realized that this was a terrible mistake because they obviously lacked the necessary motivation to pursue a music career. After the band broke up I continued to pursue my music but I wanted to take my time and fine tune my skills. I discovered marijuana and psychedelic drugs as a way to explore philosophy, spirituality and psychedelic music. For several years I was the manager of a small gas station while I explore the wonderful world of psychedelic drugs and music. Still to this day I honestly believe that I learned more about life and music than I ever would have if I'd gone to school.

To make a long story short, even though my music career has come to a screeching halt and my financial situation is pathetic I still believe that I made the right choice in pursuing my music career and not going to school. Like I was saying to my father the other day that I know for a fact that if I had a gone to school for computers I would be very unhappy at this point in my life. Unfortunately I do not have the available credit or financial backing to pursue any type of schooling at this time but if I did I would probably be looking at social worker or something similar which is something I never would've dreamed back when my family was urging me to go to school.

If I had gone to school like my family wanted it would've been a terrible mistake.

If music is what you love then you have to give it all you've got and university will only get in the way.

You don't want to go to school for something you're unsure about, if you go to school it has to be for something you have a genuine interest in.

An important fact to consider is that so many people go to school for something they really want to do and when they finish school the only work they can find is in a call center working beside someone like me who has spent the last 10 years getting high and playing music. The last thing you want is to wind up working the $12 an hour job to pay off a student loan so that you can go back to school for something else.

My life choices have allowed me to find myself at the same time that I was learning so much about life, love and relationships.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that although my life has not turned out how I would've hoped I still believe I made the right decision in pursuing my music.

InvisibleIcelander
The Minstrel in the Gallery
Male

Loc: underbelly
Re: What to do.. what to do... [Re: zen buddy]
    #10535887 - 06/19/09 12:13 PM (7 years, 5 months ago)

:thumbup:

--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

OfflineC.M. Mann
subconscious explorer
Male

Loc: Florida
Re: What to do.. what to do... [Re: zen buddy]
    #10536409 - 06/19/09 02:03 PM (7 years, 5 months ago)

Our stories are similar.  I spent twelve years in college, and life went as planned. Until I developed severe tendinitis in my hands.  I had to stop what I was doing, and find something to do that didn't involve my hands. I have played the guitar since the fifth grade, but had to put it down. I found myself doing nothing but drugs, unable to work.  I stopped taking the pain pills, and started back with the guitar. I started a small Indie recording studio, and play in two bands.  I have figured a way to work around the tendinitis, and after a couple of years it is getting better.  I still can't dig a ditch or build a house, but I can play music all night.  :bigblunt:

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology