Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineoptic
Stranger
Put a chunk of colonized cake into new jar?
    #4336491 - 06/25/05 04:00 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Forgive me if this is a stupid question. I was wondering what (if anything) cutting off a chunk of colonized cake and placing it in a new jar of brf and verm. would do? Would it help to colonize the jar faster or simply do nothing?

This is assuming you were in a very sterile place.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblebackupwards
peon

Loc: somewhere else
Re: Put a chunk of colonized cake into new jar? [Re: optic]
    #4336522 - 06/25/05 04:10 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

i would think that it would colonize into the jar. just don't flop it in on top of the verm layer. make sure you get it under that and i am sure it should work out. i did an experiment one time like this: after birthing cakes i always seem to have some myc stuck to the jar, so i took a fresh cake and put it in the jar, wow 4-5 days the outside of that cake was covered, gave it 10 days total for incubation to let the inside colonize and it fruited very nicely. i only did it just the one time. maybe i will try it again some time, if i do cakes again.
peace

InvisibleQuiescence
Intriguer

Re: Put a chunk of colonized cake into new jar? [Re: backupwards]
    #4336575 - 06/25/05 04:28 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

I use that 'stuff' on leftover after birthing a cake to do G2G's. It works great. Just don't shake too hard or you can kill it.

Optic: Instead of using a BRF jar... make up some WildBirdSeed(WBS) jars... they colonize much faster. Then mix some BRF jars and some WBS jars in a casing.. it works nicely.
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/4223512/page//fpart/1/vc/1

~Quiescence~

--------------------
God raised up the fellow who was relaxed in the company of tax collectors, prostitutes and other outsiders, and went on to say that many of them would be welcomed to God?s banquet table long before those self-righteous people on display at church.

Offlinelemunhed
The hustler'shustler

Loc: Ur moms house
    #4336656 - 06/25/05 04:50 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Its called a grain to grain transfer when using this method with grain substrates such as rye or popcorn. It would work for a PF cake as well, but I probably wouldn't do it alot unless I had a really good hepa box or a laminar flow hood. The whole reason we are PC'ing jars so much is to ensure sterility, and thus opening them introduces a host of new contaminates which will probably take over before the mycelium has a chance.

When done properly G2G transfers are an excellent fast way of colonizing alot of jars while eliminating alot of effort, but without the equipment you're probably better off using multispore or liquid culture. You probably could get a g2g to work anyways but just not most of the time.

--------------------
You're pompeius, aren't you? I'll make a pompeian of you unless you hold your toungue!

-Tiberius Claudius Nero

Invisiblebackupwards
peon

Re: Put a chunk of colonized cake into new jar? [Re: lemunhed]
    #4336720 - 06/25/05 05:03 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

let me tell ya, i have never used a glove box or a laminar flow hood for anything. the only contams i have seen are on my last h poo casing, that was a little bit a green that a few grains of salt took care of. haven't done g2g's yet, and this i wouldn't think is a g2g. taking all the necessary precautions: a well cleaned area and work surface in a calm room has given me good luck for almost 2 years.
we shall see with the g2g's in a couple of weeks. i'm betting that in those described conditions that i have pretty damn good luck.
peace

InvisibleQuiescence
Intriguer

#4336873 - 06/25/05 05:48 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

backupwards said:
a well cleaned area and work surface in a calm room has given me good luck for almost 2 years.

Two years of what?

--------------------
God raised up the fellow who was relaxed in the company of tax collectors, prostitutes and other outsiders, and went on to say that many of them would be welcomed to God?s banquet table long before those self-righteous people on display at church.

Invisiblebackupwards
peon

Re: Put a chunk of colonized cake into new jar? [Re: Quiescence]
    #4336890 - 06/25/05 05:54 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

i have been doing pf cakes and casing for about 2 years, this is of course before i found the shroomery, which has changed my whole process of growing. thank you shroomery.
peace

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder