Home | Community | Message Board

RVF Garden Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Gourmet and Medicinal Mushrooms

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineJeremy_Davis
Mycelial NetworkAdministrator
Male User Gallery

Loc: Florida
kerosene heater pasteurization
    #4335804 - 06/25/05 02:12 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Hi all!
This post is in reference to the posts by Rodger and mattymonkey on 6/7 in the lion's mane alternative fruiting containers thread. They stared to talk about a method of pasteurization involving using a heater to pasteurize a room and the substrate in trays (well commercial portabella beds). I have a few questions about this and Mattymonkey suggested putting it up in a new thread- so here goes.
Also please keep us posted as you tweak your system Mattymonkey, as phase II rooms are usually a major expense encountered by farmers.
Once the rooms and beds are pasteurized, how do you spawn the beds, only a top spawn layer, or do you somehow through mix?
Also over the time it takes to run phase II (also can you give your times and success rates), is there appreciable moisture content loss since it seems your using a dry pasteurization?
Would running a burner under a 55 gallon drum with water (acting as a steamer) be effective in steam pasteurizing an appropriately sized area. Here I'm concerned with the temperatures that steam enters the air at. I was looking at steam baths on eBay, and they were for people, and only seemed to deliver a steam at 110 degrees (now I wonder if that's F or C), so obviously that wouldn't work.Thanks everyone for your time and help!
Jeremy Davis

--------------------
Jeremy Davis
Educational Concerns for Hunger Organization, Inc.
Check out the ECHO mushroom blog page to see our lab, growing facility, and more-www.echotech.org/greta

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflinePie
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: kerosene heater pasteurization [Re: Jeremy_Davis]
    #4338860 - 06/26/05 12:13 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

I was also thinking of something like this. I have heard that a kerosene work heater can be used to pasturize. However I was thinking of something a little diifrent. Lots of time has been given to using a wagner wall paper steamer in a cooler to pasturize. Sounds good but that just won't cut the size jobs you need to go commercial. I was wondering about a larger wallpaper commercial steamer ($200) and an old horizontal freezer. Put a remote reading thermostat in there and run the power to the steamer through that. I was looking at thermostats that will measure in that range. The little setups people are talking about you would have to watch, but if you weere running it for 12 to 24 hrs then you would not want to have to watch a thermometer. Seems like you could do the thing for $500 a peice. 5 feet long by 2 high by 2 deep; thats 20 cubic feet each. Vent the steam to the outside or back to the grow room. You couldn't exceed the melting point of the acrylic interior walls though. Has anyone done this?

Offlinemattymonkey
Feel Like aStranger...
 User Gallery

#4338977 - 06/26/05 01:13 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

im glad people are interested in these ideas..

the farm i work for uses a simple phase II chamber for bulk pasteurization... its a small room where leached, ie put threw a digester, manure is piled in up to 4', the bottom is made of screen and there are two doors, the room is well insulated.. one door goes to the outside, one goes to another chamber we use for inoculation.. both the phase II room and the inoculation room have filtered fresh air being pumped into them creating a positive pressure.. pasteurization is accomplished by using a 200,000 btu kerosene/diesel contractor heater.. it is outside of the room, with a hole the size of the outlet cut into the wall and that heat is applied undearneath the screening.. the heater is on a thermostat that is usually set at 200, we only use 4-5gallons of kerosene, then the manure heats itself up the rest of the way.. pasteurization is accomplished at 140F for 4 hours.. then the manure stays hot until all the ammonia is dissapated.. that part takes the longest of anything.. we have gotten it down to around 10 days but stirring is required.. i feel we can get it down to 7 days with some stirring on the 4th or 5th days..

you can also accomplish this room to room, but the load on the room is rather heavy.. simply cuut a hole in the door of the room the size of the heater outlet.. stick the heater threw that hole and blast it.. you can acheive pasteurization in 7 days using this method as there is more air space around the manure.. you want your trays or shelves at least 8 and no more then 12 inches.. we inoculate through spawning, mixing by hand.. in trays that are moved in to the fruiting chambers, where they make their full run.. though we are thinking that we may incubate trays in the inoculation room, then move to fruiting once casing is applied, to save on fruiting space.. we are still tweaking and this is only our 2nd year, my first, of operation..

ill try to get pics of the whole setup soon, no camera yet..

ah with moisture loss.. it is rather insignificant in the 4' phase II room, as only the top and bottom gets dried... in a room to room setup i believe it would still be a small level of drying out because you really only have the heater on a short time, the composting takes care of the rest

good luck..

Offlinemattymonkey
Feel Like aStranger...
 User Gallery

Re: kerosene heater pasteurization [Re: mattymonkey]
    #4339379 - 06/26/05 04:15 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

another note... what manure you are using HIGHLY affects how well it will heat up, and how much energy you are using to get it to the proper temp... we use, and i really thank the guy i am working with for figuring this out, manure that has been put threw what is called a digester... http://www.moodoo.com/digester.htm this farm uses one to seperate the gas/solids/liquids from the manure.. we get the solids and they are *steaming* when we get them... already at peak temps.. this is also great stuff for outdoor composting.. you can just pile it 2' high, 3' wide, and as long as you want... flip once, maybe twice, and its composted, no smell, no ammonia, and no more heating up...

hope this helps

OfflineJeremy_Davis
Mycelial NetworkAdministrator
Male User Gallery

Loc: Florida
Re: kerosene heater pasteurization [Re: mattymonkey]
    #4342483 - 06/27/05 12:17 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

So I have a few questions about your phase II compost that you're pasteurizing. Why does it take 7-10 days to reach a cool temp? Is it uncomposted to begin with or is that just the nature of the bulk compost cooling that large a mass?

--------------------
Jeremy Davis
Educational Concerns for Hunger Organization, Inc.
Check out the ECHO mushroom blog page to see our lab, growing facility, and more-www.echotech.org/greta

Offlinemattymonkey
Feel Like aStranger...
 User Gallery

#4342493 - 06/27/05 12:23 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

you want the ammonia to dissipate, the organisms that best do this live at 130-135... you really want the temp to stay up there for awhile till that time, its more about getting that ammonia out then cooling it, you can cool it quicker as soon as its out by introducing fresh air

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Gourmet and Medicinal Mushrooms