Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomMan Mycology
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineQuadrupleTree
Single Whip

Surgery after first flush?
    #4331542 - 06/24/05 07:48 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Hi, if it seems that a not-so-good pinset is due to an overly thick casing layer (1"-1.25" on a 3" substrate), would it make any sense to cut off the top 1/2 inch or so after the first flush as to be less work for the mycelium to make pins? If so, before or after dunking?

I'm thinking the casing layer might have more evenly distributed mycelium below the surface. Also, over misting during pre-pinning may be an issue, as well as applying the casing layer when the horse manure substrate was not quite 100% colonized.

I know this is a little out there, but I'm trying to be creative.

--------------------
I don't know if you are ready, but I'd like to offer the Truth of Dr. David R. Hawkins...http://www.veritaspub.com

People talk about getting "the fear." There is simply a lack of inner confidence and comfort. Those people haven't studied any type of mind training. I suggest they seriously consider Qigong.

Edited by QuadrupleTree (06/24/05 09:08 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineQuadrupleTree
Single Whip

Re: Surgery after first flush? [Re: QuadrupleTree]
    #4332220 - 06/24/05 11:39 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Bumping this up for good luck

--------------------
I don't know if you are ready, but I'd like to offer the Truth of Dr. David R. Hawkins...http://www.veritaspub.com

People talk about getting "the fear." There is simply a lack of inner confidence and comfort. Those people haven't studied any type of mind training. I suggest they seriously consider Qigong.

InvisibleQuiescence
Intriguer

#4332294 - 06/24/05 11:56 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

You could remove the casing layer if you wanted. Whether that would help your second flush is another thing.
So you would take the casing out.. and then slice off the top with a sharp knife... or what?

~Quiescence~

--------------------
God raised up the fellow who was relaxed in the company of tax collectors, prostitutes and other outsiders, and went on to say that many of them would be welcomed to God?s banquet table long before those self-righteous people on display at church.

OfflineQuadrupleTree
Single Whip

Re: Surgery after first flush? [Re: Quiescence]
    #4332338 - 06/24/05 12:12 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

I realize it is an option, but I lack the experience to decide if it will be beneficial for future pinsets. And yes, just cut off a half inch of the casing material with a knife.

--------------------

Offlinesludge
blunt rapter

Loc: somewhere in usa
    #4332449 - 06/24/05 12:46 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

dont mess with it!!! as the shrooms grow the mycel will continue to grow as well meaning it will pop the casing more even,so what you dont see now you may see on the secound flush ,be cool!!!!!

--------------------
Down in a hole and I don't know if I can be saved
See my heart I decorate it like a grave
You don't understand who they
Thought I was supposed to be
Look at me now a man
Who won't let himself be

InvisibleQuiescence
Intriguer

#4332464 - 06/24/05 12:50 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Hmmm... I have not done anything like that.
But.
I would say if you want to try.. Remove the whole casing layer.. Dunk the casing... and recase with a thin new layer. Then it should be as flat as possible.. the casing would have plenty of water to form new pins... and that is what I would try if I was going to do something like that.

Other opinions?...

~Quiescence~

--------------------
God raised up the fellow who was relaxed in the company of tax collectors, prostitutes and other outsiders, and went on to say that many of them would be welcomed to God?s banquet table long before those self-righteous people on display at church.

OfflineQuadrupleTree
Single Whip

Re: Surgery after first flush? [Re: Quiescence]
    #4335225 - 06/25/05 06:21 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Man I thought this was interesting. Guess not

--------------------

Invisiblesoochi
Chef
 User Gallery

Loc: The Richest County
    #4335463 - 06/25/05 09:43 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

NO. let it do it's thing. initiate pinning (sounds like you have already) just as the myc start to come up through the top layer of the casing. Check your conditions.

--------------------
Wee, sleeket, cowran, tim'rous beastie,
O, what panic's in thy breastie!
Thou need na start awa sae hasty,
Wi' bickering brattle!

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Surgery after first flush? [Re: soochi]
    #4335514 - 06/25/05 10:10 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

soochi said:
NO. let it do it's thing. initiate pinning (sounds like you have already) just as the myc start to come up through the top layer of the casing. Check your conditions.

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

OfflineQuadrupleTree
Single Whip

Re: Surgery after first flush? [Re: scatmanrav]
    #4336143 - 06/25/05 01:50 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

thanks

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags