Home | Community | Message Board

FreeSpores.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Contamination Forum

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinewallywonks
Stranger
Newbie Question: tiny brownish-gray splotches in the substrate. Is it Bacillus?
    #4335342 - 06/25/05 10:22 AM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Hi all.

I'm a newbie at growing. I finally found someone who turned me on to to shrooms. Now I'm trying my own. I've been following the PF Tek.
I pressure cooked 12 half pint wide mouthed Ball jars. They had 1/2 cup vermiculite, 1/4 BRF and 1/4 distilled water each. I pressure cooked them with a 15psi Pressure canner I paid $60 for an hour after the rocker started rocking. I placed them in the cupboard awaiting the syringe in the mail. Its been a week now since I sterilized them. I've been keeping an eye on them and recently noticed very small like brownish-gray spots on the inside outer wall of most the jars with slight condensation. Their are some larger clumps of brownish-gray splotches maybe they look almost like unmixed BRF smooshed together within the substrate air holes. I didn't pack the substrate down. I left gaps in it like it said. On the bottom of most the jars, it looks like BRF smooshed on the bottom. I compared my jars to the contamination pictures from the contam faq. They aren't as greasy as them if at all. Not greasy just little tiny clumps of brownish-gray.

Some of the gaps have what look like off white clumps when i magnified the jar.

But when you look at a distance at the jar it just looks like smooshed BRF and verm. Some areas of the jars have more smooshes then the other areas of the jars.

I used a 30x jewelers loupe to examine the jars. I don't remember seeing them after I sterilized them. Some jars have more than others but I tried to use slightly tiny different water measurements like they said. If it is Bacillus can i resterilize the jars since the endospores would be hatched now or do I have to start over.

What are your thoughts. I have to find my cameras serial cable to post pictures of them.

Their so small I dont think a picture would be able to show you the smooshes and off white little clumps in the substrate. Some are stuck to the inside of the jar wall and some are within the substrate mixture.

Thanks,
CJ

Edited by wallywonks (06/25/05 10:34 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisiblebackupwards
peon

Loc: somewhere else
Re: Newbie Question: tiny brownish-gray splotches in the substrate. Is it Bacillus? [Re: wallywonks]
    #4335586 - 06/25/05 12:46 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

if they are uninnoculated still and you are getting growths then it is not good. pics would definitely help. make sure before you inject them. post some pics and someone will be able to help ya out.
peace

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Contamination Forum