Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineCaptain Loafy McPoopdick
(4 1 2)

Loc: 1 5 1 3 6
When people say
    #4334232 - 06/24/05 10:16 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

the government can't make money from marijuana, what does that mean? Don't you think that they could sell them like cigs.? I know if they did that they would load all of these chemicals in them, but I think that they CAN make money if they wanted.
I wonder if the reason the laws are so messed up is because that they update some laws, don't update a lot of laws, and just forget about some laws. Then changing one law would mean they have to change another so that one law doesn't contradict itself. Hmm, bear with me here. I don't really know what i'm talking about.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleTYL3R
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Re: When people say [Re: Captain Loafy McPoopdick]
    #4334244 - 06/24/05 10:19 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

:shrug:

I dont think that the law will be changed anytime soon...

Edited by x_TYLER_x (06/24/05 10:27 PM)

InvisibleCherryBomM
Yoga Gypsy
Female User Gallery

Loc: Ontario
Re: When people say [Re: TYL3R]
    #4334282 - 06/24/05 10:28 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

I think it will. Slowly but surely. I have a few friends who medical marijuana 'licences' to grow up to 7 plants at a time. This is a baby step to some major changes in pot law.

--------------------

InvisibleTYL3R
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Re: When people say [Re: CherryBom]
    #4334293 - 06/24/05 10:30 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Slowly, indeedy.

Mrs.Gypsy :wink:

Invisibleflowstone
blustering

Loc: precious
Re: When people say [Re: CherryBom]
    #4334295 - 06/24/05 10:30 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

You do realize medical marijuana has been now removed from protection of federal prosecution in all 11( or is it 14) states where previously they were ignored? That is HUGE.

--------------------
these long agonizing months without you...have been long and agonizing..
"War Doesn't Decide Who's Right... It Only Decides Who's Left."

InvisibleTHE KRAT BARON
one-eyed willie
Re: When people say [Re: flowstone]
    #4334299 - 06/24/05 10:31 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

That was a very sad set back. I was pissed when I read that even though I don't live in one of these states or have any illnesses.

--------------------
m00nshine is currently vacationing in Maui. Rumor has it he got rolled by drunken natives and is currently prostituting himself in order to pay for airfare back to the mainland but he's having trouble juggling a hairon addiction. He won't be back for a long while.

Offlinelardnar
Pu Pu Platter
Male

Loc: Behind what appears
Re: When people say [Re: THE KRAT BARON]
    #4334512 - 06/24/05 11:36 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

it isn't nearly as big of a problem as you think (ashcroft vs raich)

--------------------
If your soul is sence this life is lost ...

InvisibleKrishna
कृष्ण,LOL
 User Gallery

Loc: oakland
Re: When people say [Re: lardnar]
    #4334515 - 06/24/05 11:38 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

yes, but in europe there are many countries/counties/cities that are moving towards decriminalization. it's just too much time for the cops to spend, and makes no sense. hopefully the rest of the world will slowly come to their senses...

--------------------

OfflineCaptain Loafy McPoopdick
(4 1 2)

Loc: 1 5 1 3 6
Re: When people say [Re: Krishna]
    #4334610 - 06/25/05 12:08 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Despite what people may think of how great it would be to have weed legalized, do you really think it would be good for the world? I mean yea it's only weed, but still, people WILL ruin it and the crime rate might actually go up

OfflineSigno
manamana
 User Gallery

Loc: Purple Haze
    #4334707 - 06/25/05 12:34 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

The short answer to your question is, of course the government could make money taxing mj. The reality is that the money spent fighting the industry and money acquired from people who are found to be criminals is far greater than any taxation revenues.

--------------------

Correlation is not causation!

Invisiblewalkclothed
Stranger
Re: When people say [Re: flowstone]
    #4334855 - 06/25/05 01:38 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Med mariijuana was never under protection from federal prosection. That outcome of that case only means that nothing has changed. We've had periodical raids here in Cali since 96 when it all started. The thing is this movement is still gaining momentum, and having 11 states where the will of the voters is to allow it, means the feds would have a hell of a time reversing the progress that has already been made. If they went in and shut down all the medical marijuana operations in all 11 states, there'd be way too much public outcry over the feds trampling on states rights, and thats civil war territory, and i'd be one of the first to grab a bayonet

--------------------
no i dont. its all real

Offlinenitroguy
SeiZureS

Re: When people say [Re: TYL3R]
    #4334915 - 06/25/05 01:58 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

x_TYLER_x said:
:shrug:

I dont think that the law will be changed anytime soon...

Look at the penalties for possession of weed 30 years ago vs what they are today (at least in the US).  Slowly but surely there will be no penalty for growing/distributing just as there really is no penalty for posession (up to an ounce or so).  "The times, they are a changin'..."

--------------------
...Weapons are meant for destruction,
and thus are avoided by the wise.
Only as a last resort
will a wise person use a deadly weapon.
If peace is her true objective
how can she rejoice in the victory of war?
Those who rejoice in victory
delight in the slaughter of humanity.
Those who resort to violence
will never bring peace to the world...

Lao-Tzu, "Tao Te Ching--31" trans. J.H. McDonald

Offlinemikeyboy
Stranger

Loc: UK
Re: When people say [Re: nitroguy]
    #4335135 - 06/25/05 04:31 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Regarding the first post where you refer to the government not being able to make money...

This is due to weed being readily available on the black market, so if it were legalised and sold in shops you would no doubt be best buying it illegally as it would be cheaper.

This is due to taxation charges that the shops would charge

Hope this makes sense...  :smirk:

Edit: For example you cant (not worthwhile) make your own alcohol and sell it for a cheaper amount per pint on a street corner, yet with weed its different

--------------------
LSD: Defrag for the brain

Edited by mikeyboy (06/25/05 04:32 AM)

Offlinehawksapprentice
Yearns to Snowboard
 User Gallery

Loc: Oregon
    #4335163 - 06/25/05 05:16 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Why do you think crime would go up, in places where it has be decriminalized it has they have not seen in substantial increase in crime. In places in the U.S. they are giving people free needles and syringes to try and curb the aids epeidemic, opponents of this in the beginning said all this will do is increase the amount of people shooting up, but so far this has not been shown to be the case. Where do you come up with the idea that it will increase crime.

--------------------
"I celebrate the Earth, my home, my mother, my grave, and as long as men are Man they must, if they would preserve the integrated being, do the same---[and preserve]--this rank casual hungry smelly sweaty lusting transitory body, my oozy pulpy liquid-bag-swollen body, bones, blood, hair glands, my bejeweled sex; I love and celebrate it all.  never to let men forget that they are animals as much as gods---that is one thing I shall say."

Edward Abbey

OfflineTao
Village Genius

Loc: San Diego
    #4335172 - 06/25/05 05:26 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Yeah there would be some negative effects of legalizing weed, but I really don't see how a rise in the crime rate would be one of them :wtf:

--------------------
Magash's Grain Tek  + Tub-in-Tub Incubator + Magash's PMP + SBP Tek + Dunking = Practically all a newbie grower needs :thumbup:

OfflineLearyfanS
It's the psychedelic movement!
Male User Gallery

Loc: High pride!
    #4335192 - 06/25/05 05:50 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Marijuana really wouldn't make the government money. Legalizing marijuana would help bring about a change in the public consciousness that would not be advantageous to the government.

In other words, keeping our minds locked in a box is far more valuable than the tax money they'd get from legal weed. Not only that, throwing users and dealers in jail/prison is a lucrative business unto itself.

--------------------
--------------------------------

Mp3 of the month:  Sons Of Adam - Feathered Fish

Offlinehawksapprentice
Yearns to Snowboard
 User Gallery

Re: When people say [Re: Learyfan]
    #4335195 - 06/25/05 05:53 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

How is throwing them in jail and having the tax payers pay for them to be housed and fed a lucrative business??

--------------------
"I celebrate the Earth, my home, my mother, my grave, and as long as men are Man they must, if they would preserve the integrated being, do the same---[and preserve]--this rank casual hungry smelly sweaty lusting transitory body, my oozy pulpy liquid-bag-swollen body, bones, blood, hair glands, my bejeweled sex; I love and celebrate it all.  never to let men forget that they are animals as much as gods---that is one thing I shall say."

Edward Abbey

OfflineLearyfanS
Male User Gallery

Re: When people say [Re: hawksapprentice]
    #4335220 - 06/25/05 06:12 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

The service that the DEA, police, prosecutors, jails/prisons etc. provide to the public is the illusion of $afety. You continue to allow your tax dollars to line their pockets because otherwise your little daughter Suzy will try weed and then naturally heroin which will have her turning tricks for a fix. It's a business like any other and a very lucrative one at that.

--------------------

Edited by Learyfan (06/25/05 06:17 AM)

Offlinehawksapprentice
Yearns to Snowboard
 User Gallery

Re: When people say [Re: Learyfan]
    #4335245 - 06/25/05 06:38 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Not completely so man, if weed was legal we would still have cops, prisons, yadda yadda yadda. Sure there would be far less people in jail for minor drug offenses, but by far would not get rid of jails, police, DEA, judicial systems. Sure minor drug offenders clog the system and we spend money on it. But legalising weed is not going to get rid of things you list.

--------------------

Edward Abbey

OfflineLearyfanS
Male User Gallery

Re: When people say [Re: hawksapprentice]
    #4335256 - 06/25/05 06:58 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

hawksapprentice said:
Not completely so man, if weed was legal we would still have cops, prisons, yadda yadda yadda. Sure there would be far less people in jail for minor drug offenses, but by far would not get rid of jails, police, DEA, judicial systems. Sure minor drug offenders clog the system and we spend money on it. But legalizing weed is not going to get rid of things you list.

Locking up pot smokers is the drug warriors bread and butter. It would be devastating to their business if pot was legal.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom