Home | Community | Message Board

Azarius
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflinePhanTomCat
Teh Cat....
Male User Gallery

Loc: My Youniverse....
Computer Self-Awareness & Spirituality (Mystical Machines)....
    #4333603 - 06/24/05 08:49 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

So in the future, as we develop better and more sophisticated forms of technology & software, to the point where a computer intelligence actually becomes self aware(or with a consciousness), would us humans be considered (by them) to be their "Gods"....?  And to what end would they accept the "understanding" that most humans (in general) cannot come to a clear-cut conclusion/definition as to "who" or "what" our God is, or if there even is one....? 

Is it conceivable that an electronic device / artificial intelligent machine could have a conscious spiritual experience....?  And if it did claim to have such an experience, would anyone/anything even believe it....? 

I would expect most scientists to explain such an occurrence of a machine having an "Out of Body/Machine" experience as being a "short circuit"....  Or will there indeed be "Mystical Machines" in the future....?  Is it conceivable that a man-made machine could have faith/blind faith on it's own....?

:sun:

--------------------
I'll be your midnight French Fry....  :naughty:

"The most important things in life that are often ignored, are the things that one cannot see...."

>^;;^<

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Loc: On the Border
Re: Computer Self-Awareness & Spirituality (Mystical Machines).... [Re: PhanTomCat]
    #4333611 - 06/24/05 08:52 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Issac Asimov already figured that problem.

Isaac Asimov's "Three Laws of Robotics"

1. A robot may not injure a human being or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.

2. A robot must obey orders given it by human beings except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.

3. A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Law.

This would obviously apply to artificial intelligences of all types.

--------------------
"A warrior is a hunter. He calculates everything. That's control. Once his calculations are over, he acts. He lets go. That's abandon. A warrior is not a leaf at the mercy of the wind. No one can push him; no one can make him do things against himself or against his better judgment. A warrior is tuned to survive, and he survives in the best of all possible fashions." ― Carlos Castaneda

Invisiblemoog
Stranger

Re: Computer Self-Awareness & Spirituality (Mystical Machines).... [Re: PhanTomCat]
    #4333644 - 06/24/05 09:04 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

This topic keeps popping up lately, doesn't it.

How do we know that awareness and autonomy go together? We don't. A machine may become aware but remain deterministic, due to its programming. Only if an aware organism/machine has means of autonomy can it be autonomous to begin with. Therefore we can't know if any non-autonomous organism/machine is aware.

OfflinePhanTomCat
Teh Cat....
Male User Gallery

Re: Computer Self-Awareness & Spirituality (Mystical Machines).... [Re: Huehuecoyotl]
    #4333647 - 06/24/05 09:04 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Yeah, I remember those rules (similar, if not the same) in the movie I-Robot....

But none of that really applies to a "belief" that an artificial intelligent "being" may develop about a Faith, nor about a belief in God.... You have kinda~ just addressed human morality and the programming of it.... Ehhhh....?

--------------------

"The most important things in life that are often ignored, are the things that one cannot see...."

>^;;^<

Invisiblemoog
Stranger

Re: Computer Self-Awareness & Spirituality (Mystical Machines).... [Re: Huehuecoyotl]
    #4333660 - 06/24/05 09:09 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

My second point here deals with Asimov's laws. If it's both aware and autonomous, why "must" a robot follow orders given by a human being? Must a bird or dog follow human orders as well?

This is why I like Kubrick's 2001 story, because it deals with a machine that breaks these rules. The fact of the matter is, if an organism/machine is both aware and autonomous it has some degree of free will. It's not our place to disregard another entity's free will. An aware and autonomous machine is free to make its own choices, even if we created it.

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Loc: On the Border
    #4333669 - 06/24/05 09:15 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

"Yeah, I remember those rules (similar, if not the same) in the movie I-Robot..."

That movie was a pop culture evisceration of a very fine sci-fi series of novels by Asimov.

--------------------
"A warrior is a hunter. He calculates everything. That's control. Once his calculations are over, he acts. He lets go. That's abandon. A warrior is not a leaf at the mercy of the wind. No one can push him; no one can make him do things against himself or against his better judgment. A warrior is tuned to survive, and he survives in the best of all possible fashions." ― Carlos Castaneda

OfflinePhanTomCat
Teh Cat....
Male User Gallery

Re: Computer Self-Awareness & Spirituality (Mystical Machines).... [Re: moog]
    #4333686 - 06/24/05 09:22 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

I was just wondering/pondering because it came to mind, so I made a thread....    As for making and following rules vs. consciousness within A.I., how could humans program a machine to "believe" in something like God when not all humans themselves believe in such things as faith/faith in God....?    Just pondering possibilities....    If a machine was self aware and had consciousness, those questions would surely come up at some point....(?)

:sun:

--------------------

>^;;^<

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology