Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinethremix
Big Spender

Loc: Temple of Boom
Covering jars.
    #4332720 - 06/24/05 02:07 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Hello ALL.

OK there is 6 ,1 pint jars needing to be inoculated, so Punching a hole in the middle and just moving the syringe seems to be the best way to go. Now Should one do this, or poke 4 holes? Also Should one put tin foil or Coffey filters? If so how many layers? what can one do about air exchange in the jar?

--------------------
http://www.gainesvilleps.org/

Dale Carnegie, once said that he never needed to know any thing about any thing because he knew EVERY thing. Any time he didn't know some thing, he asked, he asked his team, his friends, And most important he asked the person that would know the answer.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinelemon_lw
Stranger

Loc: That Way
Re: Covering jars. [Re: thremix]
    #4332723 - 06/24/05 02:10 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

they have already been steralized and dont have an injection hole ready?

--------------------
In the belly of the Leviathan, one can either despair and perish, or be cheerful and persevere.-Dean Koontz

Offlinethremix
Big Spender

Re: Covering jars. [Re: lemon_lw]
    #4332760 - 06/24/05 02:22 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

yes. I ordered them.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...ssPageName=WD1V

I bought them BE FOR ever knowing about the shroomery OK? Don't chew my head off lol, I will now buy from the sponsors.

--------------------

Dale Carnegie, once said that he never needed to know any thing about any thing because he knew EVERY thing. Any time he didn't know some thing, he asked, he asked his team, his friends, And most important he asked the person that would know the answer.

Offlineprefloppro
Last Call
    #4332770 - 06/24/05 02:26 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

I use mycomonsters for certain things also, pretty good outfit. I would sterilize a nail and gently put four holes (equally spaced) on the rim of the jar. Then insert sterilized needle all the way into the hole, and squeeze a little, make sure it hits the side of the jar. Thats what i was always informed to do. Maybe one hole would be good enough. Coffee filters do not prevent contams. Get some polyfill and somehow cover the holes swith that.

Next time you can ask them to pre punch for you. thats what i did when i ordered from them.

Edited by prefloppro (06/24/05 02:27 PM)

Offlinewaixingren
Male User Gallery

Loc: SW Florida
Trusted Cultivator
    #4332776 - 06/24/05 02:28 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

i think tyvek is your best bet here. take just the ring off, make the puncture and inoculate immediately, place the tyvek filter on as soon as the syringe leaves the jar, replace the ring, incubate. be very clean when you do it, clean all your tools. its risky but i dont know how else you're supposed to inoculate those things. good luck.

--------------------

Offlinethremix
Big Spender

Re: Covering jars. [Re: prefloppro]
    #4332778 - 06/24/05 02:29 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

so how about the air exchange? how do I go about that? This is the firts time I bought from mycomonsters. Are they any good?

--------------------

Offlineprefloppro
Last Call
    #4332794 - 06/24/05 02:35 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

There good, the jars I got from them never got contam. you do not want air flow really when your doing jars. just put them in an incubator and leave them alone till thier colonized. Youre in the same boat as me, jars seemed the way to go at first, now I am making my own brf jars, still working on getting wbs and rye water content right. Still practicing with those. But honestly it is way cheaper to make your own jars. I didnt have a pc so i just steam boiled my jars for a couple hours and that works for my jars. No contams.

Edited by prefloppro (06/24/05 02:38 PM)

Invisiblebackupwards
peon

Loc: somewhere else
    #4332795 - 06/24/05 02:35 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

no need to really worry about air exchange during colonization. it is when you birth them for fruiting that air exchange will become crucial.
good luck bro
peace

Offlinethremix
Big Spender

Re: Covering jars. [Re: backupwards]
    #4333139 - 06/24/05 04:07 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

so, one hole in the middle then cover it with tape?Oh and where do I find polly fill I went to wal-mart but every one knows people at WM are as useful as a dead rat, "huh? whats that?," is all I got, where do I find it and what is it called? Is it called polly fill?

--------------------

Offlinethremix
Big Spender

#4333192 - 06/24/05 04:22 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

so you don't need to punch a hole for gases comming out of the jar? OK so one hole with tape. thanks guys

--------------------

Offlinethremix
Big Spender

#4333428 - 06/24/05 05:36 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Ok so I keep reading threads som say to poke 4 holes some don't, some say to put tin on them some don't and some say to put coffy filters on them and well you get it......so witch is it? Oh BTW the 1 pint jars seem really small lol I think I might just case them because I don't think any thing will grow from them.

--------------------

Invisiblebackupwards
peon

#4333456 - 06/24/05 05:46 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

polyfil will be located back in the crafts section, neat the fabrics and such.
the alum foil is going to keep water out of your jars while pc'ing. use it, it is well worth the buck to help protect your water ratios. coffee filters will help keep dust and such out of your jars, not much of a barrier against contams though.
pint jars won't grow anything? haha. you will have more luck casing them but pint cakes can grow shrooms.
peace

InvisibleRoadkillM
Retired Shroomery Mod
Male User Gallery

Loc: Montana
Trusted Cultivator
    #4333485 - 06/24/05 06:01 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

put 4 holes in the lid...you should have a dry verm barrier if the guy that made them did them right...the dry verm barrier will protect the substrate so just punch the holes in the lid and you will be fine.

pint jars take longer to colonize than 1/2 pint jars.

and yes you can fruit off pint jars.

tc

--------------------
Laterz, Road

Who the hell you callin crazy?
You wouldn't know what crazy was if Charles Manson was eating froot loops on your front porch!

Brainiac said:
PM the names with on there names, that means they have mushrooms for sale.

Offlinethremix
Big Spender

Re: Covering jars. [Re: Roadkill]
    #4333581 - 06/24/05 06:42 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

would putting coffy filters on it and turning the jar up side down help any? I think it would help with gas exchage and since the verm is RIGHT on the holes it would help with contams.? any thing to add to that from any one?

--------------------

Offlinethremix
Big Spender

#4333584 - 06/24/05 06:43 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

or polly fill. witch ever one would work best

--------------------

Invisiblebackupwards
peon

#4333698 - 06/24/05 07:27 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

polyfil would work better to protect against contams definitely. coffee filters don't help protect against contams that i know of. the verm is going to do the job for ya. turning the jars upside down, uuummmm, gas exchange is really not that much of an issue during colonization, right side up or down doesn't matter. flipping the jars comes into play if you are having a prob getting that last bit of the bottom to colonize or if you are having probs with water pooling in the bottom of the jar. then flip them. i did an experiment last year with jars: started some lid up and some lid down, no diff in colonization times.
good luck
peace

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags