Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinelemunhed
The hustler'shustler

Loc: Ur moms house
Why is my sutff NEVER rhizo? How do you get rhizo....
    #4326130 - 06/22/05 06:29 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

I know that there isn't really one good answer to this question, and that rhizomorphic growth is a sign of an all around healthy mycelium but at the same time i'm wondering if there isn't something i'm missing.

My friends method:

I am my friends advisor, and he tells me that usually he prepares 1qt organic rye grain jars, using 280ml water for 250g rye. He is very accurate and weighs his rye on a digital scale, i would wager his mixture is +/- 3% or so every time to be liberal. He then pc's them for an hour (he is using either tyvek or polyfill lids) then shakes them... yatta yatta. His jars colonize 100% in anywhere from 6-10 days usually using Koh Samui Super Strain (really great strain!).

After they're colonized he cases them in a "clean room", lets them sit and usually with about 3/8" casing layer on them they take a week or a little less to colonize (sometimes his casing is 1/2"). Then he puts them in the fruiting chamber which is a coolmist/ultrasonic set up. He mists with dilute h202 (about 10%).

My friends question:

My friend has been looking at others growlogs and is seeing all these ridiculous rhizo's and hearing about people's mycelium tearing through 1" casing layers in 5 days and so on, but despite his meticulous preparation and using 1qt grain per casing it never seems to tear through the casing layer or form lots of rhizo's... whats wrong?

--------------------
You're pompeius, aren't you? I'll make a pompeian of you unless you hold your toungue!

-Tiberius Claudius Nero

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleTien
人民英雄
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Canoodia Flag
Re: Why is my sutff NEVER rhizo? How do you get rhizo.... [Re: lemunhed]
    #4326163 - 06/22/05 06:40 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

The strain maybe?
I know that rhizos love humidity.

Pluto

OfflinekronnyQ
SuperstudExtraordinaire
 User Gallery

Loc: Anytown USA
Re: Why is my sutff NEVER rhizo? How do you get rhizo.... [Re: Tien]
    #4326315 - 06/22/05 07:39 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Humidity and air exchange are the #1 contributors to rhizo growth, if you can't get it to happen try a cold shock that gives your casing a nice kick in the ass and sez start makin rhizos.

Invisibletahoe
Noob Slayer
Male User Gallery

Loc: N38.93829W119.98108
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Why is my sutff NEVER rhizo? How do you get rhizo.... [Re: kronnyQ]
    #4326329 - 06/22/05 07:46 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

probably casing wet ness, even if rhizos dont form on the substrate they should for in the casing. Cottony mycelium cant penetrate the casing layer like rhizomorphic. Try drying out the casing more. I keep my dryer while they colonize and then start soaking once i see growth

--------------------
Stop experimenting half way through your first grow. Grow it to maturity, watch it, learn from it. Do this a few times then experiment with different ideas and figure out what works best for you.

My Legacy
https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/22140987#22140987

Teh=The
I need to proofread

InvisibleNeedMoreSleep
OCD = 100%Sterility :-)

Loc: One Inch ↑
    #4326757 - 06/22/05 09:50 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

As everyone has suggested, it is normally (in my experience) conditions that will produce rhyzos, provided it is a strain that is prominently rhrizomorphic.  Even if its not, all strains will produce rhrizos under the right conditions.  Can you describe your friend's growing conditions?  Maybe then we can figure out exactly what can be done to help the myc out.  With the info given, I would say up the humidity and air exchanges though... GL bro :stoned:

Hey Tahoe, long time no see!  What happened to those b-e-a-uuuutiful titties in your avatar?

--------------------

"Now, we must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil,
which we must fear most. And that is... the indifference of good men."
-Boondock Saints

Offlinekimikiri
 User Gallery

Loc: Aboard an alien vessel
Re: Why is my sutff NEVER rhizo? How do you get rhizo.... [Re: NeedMoreSleep]
    #4326773 - 06/22/05 09:58 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

NeedMoreSleep said:
What happened to those b-e-a-uuuutiful titties in your avatar?

I was kinda wondering the same...

--------------------
Those who would sacrifice their freedoms for securities deserve neither, and will soon lose both.

-Benjamin Franklin

Invisibleagar
old hand
 User Gallery

Loc: Somewhere Else
Trusted Cultivator
    #4326802 - 06/22/05 10:05 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

With a decent bulk substrate - fully colonized, an optimal casing cover, good fresh air exchange, humidity & temps usualy get you rhizo's popping out.

--------------------

Offlinepsilocyben
bad guy

Re: Why is my sutff NEVER rhizo? How do you get rhizo.... [Re: agar]
    #4326844 - 06/22/05 10:28 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

mmmm  cauliflower :drooling:

--------------------

Offline8086
Mad Scientist
 User Gallery

Re: Why is my sutff NEVER rhizo? How do you get rhizo.... [Re: psilocyben]
    #4327221 - 06/23/05 12:40 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

When getting the culture going in a petri dish from spores I usually see cottony growth until I isolate a segment twice. After that it is all rhyzomorphic. That is how GTs act for me.

Offlinelemunhed
The hustler'shustler

Loc: Ur moms house
Re: Why is my sutff NEVER rhizo? How do you get rhizo.... [Re: 8086]
    #4333362 - 06/24/05 05:12 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Those are some really nice rhizo's agar, I have seen your pic before. My riends conditions are not *quite* optimal, I made my friend buy a 4 tier mini greenhouse and he has some big plans for it. I think he'll be making a tek in the next few weeks that will blow the martha tek away... Right now though a 95qt rubbermaid with a halls coolmist going 24/7 and an ultrasonic which my friend uses to mist the casing is par for the course. The sterilite has two 1" holes in it, and a 6 smaller holes in the bottom to drain co2 and excess water. As I said, the coolmist is 24 hours a day, and I would think that would be more than enough air exchange for the two or three casings my friend has in there now.

The grain he uses is rye grain, he cases with a 50/50ish verm/coir casing without adjusting the ph because he is too lazy, and the mushies don't mind. He grows Koh Samui Super Strain, which is some of the most aggressive mycelium he has ever seen, it literally blows away the equadorians he also cultivates. I think that's about it...

And yeah, he does get some rhizo's in the casing layer, just nothing like what he sees in other peoples posts/grows where theres a retarded amount of rhizo that looks like trees coming out all over the place... such as in your case agar =). My friend is a bit of a perfectionist and likes to get his shit optimal. He thinks he should be getting some nice fruits in the next week or so off his rye casings so he'll see if his rhizo was enough to come through in terms of flush weight.

--------------------
You're pompeius, aren't you? I'll make a pompeian of you unless you hold your toungue!

-Tiberius Claudius Nero

OfflineMaJikFungus
There's a Fungusin my closet

Loc: School of Athens
    #4333473 - 06/24/05 05:54 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

I have some Z strain jars going and all the growth is 100% rhizomorphic , I also have some B+ jars made from the same substrate batch and there is both cottony and rhizomorphic growth.

Im new at this but I think certain strains may produce more rhizomorphic growth than others , Z strain seems to be very rhizomorphic.

--------------------

InvisibleTien
人民英雄
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Canoodia Flag
Re: Why is my sutff NEVER rhizo? How do you get rhizo.... [Re: MaJikFungus]
    #4333484 - 06/24/05 06:01 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

^^^

All strains will produce some form of rhizos, you just have to work with your conditions.

Z strain is kick ass. Fast colonizer, rhizo growth, haven't had a problem with contams.

Pluto

Invisiblejeetered
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Loc: no clue
Re: Why is my sutff NEVER rhizo? How do you get rhizo.... [Re: kronnyQ]
    #8657644 - 07/20/08 03:38 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

kronnyQ said:
Humidity and air exchange are the #1 contributors to rhizo growth, if you can't get it to happen try a cold shock that gives your casing a nice kick in the ass and sez start makin rhizos.

genetics are the #1 contributor i thought, and what stage the mycelium is in, monokaryotic staged mycelium generally produces tomentose mycelium, and mycelium that's dikaryotic produces rhizomorphic mycelium.

if u do grains, and spore, dont shake your jar at all until it's 20 percent or more colonized, when it's colonized, let it sit another close to a week. It will go dikaryotic, hence rhizomorphic.

OfflineJuke Adro
I love peach fluff
 User Gallery

Loc: Inside your head
Re: Why is my sutff NEVER rhizo? How do you get rhizo.... [Re: jeetered]
    #8657654 - 07/20/08 03:49 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

why the fcuk are you replying to a 3 year old thread?

i would say the dude found his answer 3 years and 26 days ago:rofl2:

--------------------
Someone said:  im actually not using ms, im using prints.
Trade List

OfflinePowerOfTheCoir
Newbie Sympathizer
Male User Gallery

Re: Why is my sutff NEVER rhizo? How do you get rhizo.... [Re: Juke Adro]
    #8657673 - 07/20/08 04:08 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Damn this really is 3 years old. I hope someone told him to stop stunting the fast-growing myc that form "rhizos" with that H2O2 misting.

--------------------
Check out my first ever TEK!
Shroom capsules with the Cap-M-Quik (pics)

Invisiblejeetered
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Loc: no clue
Re: Why is my sutff NEVER rhizo? How do you get rhizo.... [Re: PowerOfTheCoir]
    #8659007 - 07/20/08 01:51 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

holy shit, im an asstard...

why didn't it come up and say HEY THIS IS AN OLD FUCKING THREAD!

SRRRRY

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #8659123 - 07/20/08 02:24 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

This thread has been closed.

Reason:
Old, dead thread with lots of disinformation.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds