Home | Community | Message Board

Vaposhop
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinestrl
-
Loc: The Balkans
Some Amanita-like mushrooms
    #4333256 - 06/24/05 06:35 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Today I went for a walk to a nearby mountain to test my new cheap-ass camera. It hasn't rained for a while, so these were the only mushrooms I found:

My friend said they look like Amanita Pantherina. I'm asking for confirmation out of curiosity (no intent to eat them). Sorry for not following the rules, but this ID doesn't felt important and I didn't take notes. The odor was gentle, shroomy.

We also find this little fellow in the leaves under some other species so I took a picture of them together:

--------------------
strl is the reverse lrts

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinefalcon
In the green

Trusted Identifier
Re: Some Amanita-like mushrooms [Re: strl]
    #4333769 - 06/24/05 09:55 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Not pantherina, it's one of the red staining ones, Amanita brunnescens or something closely related, there's a bunch of them. If your finding these
you can ussually find chantrelles close by. They fruit at the same time and
have the same host trees.

Cool critter.

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
Re: Some Amanita-like mushrooms [Re: strl]
    #4334446 - 06/25/05 01:12 AM (11 years, 5 months ago)

They're Amanitas, but not very close to Amanita pantherina. Your friend is probably relying too much on cap color, a very common mistake among beginners. falcon looks to be in the right direction. Amanita is a large genus (several hundred species in North America), and most of them have brown caps. Bruising reactions are important for identifying Amanitas - try bruising the stem (it looks like you may have in the photos). The color changes on some Amanitas will take close to an hour to occur, so be patient.

You did better with your "cheap-ass camera" than a lot of people do. Your photos are in focus and show the sorts of things we need to see. The third photo is the best, showing the underside of the cap, the stem, and the base of the stem (including the volva). Try to include a young specimen for the underside shot - the partial veil on Amanitas is often very fragile and disappears easily.

As your comments seem to indicate, don't eat them. There aren't many species of Amanita that are considered good to eat, and those don't resemble any of them.

Happy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification