Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineNewbieShroomer

Loc: San Diego California Baby...
Substrate Jars, need some advice!! :0)
    #433305 - 10/22/01 02:01 PM (22 years, 5 months ago)

Hello All!

Quick Question, for my first growing adventure, I am using the PF tek, but, it seems a little outdated... A lot actually. The point I am wondering about is the jars after innoculation. Where should I keep them? As far as for growth. I have heard a lot of different answers, someplace dark and warm, in warm water, not in water, total darkness to varied light. I am almost ready to innoculate and am not sure where that is going.

My second question is humidifier, perlite or both?
I have the humidifier that pf tek suggests, but is it easier, and am i better off using perlite?

Would appreciate any comments on this topic :)

--------------------
If things get any worse, I'll have to ask you to stop helping me.

Too many freaks, not enough circuses.
http://www.Mycotopia.net

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleFungusFarmer
old hand

Re: Substrate Jars, need some advice!! :0) [Re: NewbieShroomer]
    #433313 - 10/22/01 02:11 PM (22 years, 5 months ago)

Question 1:

For your first time, I recommend you stick them in the box the jars came in, and put that in your closet. The jars will probably colonize faster if you use some sort of MOIST heating system (ie warm water), but my best advice to newbies is start simple and work your way up. Using heat to speed colonization can lead to many problems, especially drying the jars out which will totally ruin all your work.

You want to keep them away from light to avoid invitro pinning, and keeping them in the box will help keep bugs and moving air from getting near the jars.

Question 2:

Perlite has worked for many people many times over with a minimum of hassle. Humidifiers are great, especially to keep the air moving, but the higher maintenance, higher cost, and the changes you will have to make to your terrarium are not a good thing for your first time. Just be sure you fan it out once a day or so (you want water condensation with the occasional drip running down the side of the terrarium.)

the simple cubensis growing guide tells you how to make a simple perlite terrarium. Just put a cup or two of h202 in your perlite water to help keep it somewhat clean

Grover

--------------------
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=- "What did you dream...it's all right we told you what to dream! Welcome, my son, to The Machine" Roger Waters, Pink Floyd

Offlineoptikal_trip
enthusiast

Loc: Toronto
Re: Substrate Jars, need some advice!! :0) [Re: NewbieShroomer]
    #433315 - 10/22/01 02:11 PM (22 years, 5 months ago)

Its not outdated.. I mean it worked for me 3 weeks ago :) I suggest putting some plastic wrap over the jars, putting them back in the box they came in and put them in a dresser drawer or a dark place. Dont give them light because that causes invitro pinning. If you have the humidifier then I say use it. With perlite its really messy and you have to fan the terrarium. With a humidifier you get lots of humidity and constant air exchange. Thats what I'm using now and it works great! Well hope this helped some and have fun ;)

--------------------
They chopped her goddam head off right there in the parking lot. Then they cut all kinds of holes in her head and sucked the blood out. I think they were after the pineal gland.

Offlineoptikal_trip
enthusiast

Loc: Toronto
Re: Substrate Jars, need some advice!! :0) [Re: FungusFarmer]
    #433317 - 10/22/01 02:16 PM (22 years, 5 months ago)

I replied at the same as Fungus Farmer so i didnt get to read the response before mine. But if you put co2 holes in the bottom of your terrarium and just stuff them with some cotton balls then you dont have to worry about fanning at all. And depending on what kind of humidifier you have you may or may not get condensation. With my humidifier it causes no condensation but my hygrometer reads 90% all the time.

--------------------
They chopped her goddam head off right there in the parking lot. Then they cut all kinds of holes in her head and sucked the blood out. I think they were after the pineal gland.

OfflineNewbieShroomer

Loc: San Diego California Baby...
Re: Substrate Jars, need some advice!! :0) [Re: optikal_trip]
    #433342 - 10/22/01 02:57 PM (22 years, 5 months ago)

Way cool! Thanks to both of you guys :)
That was all I needed to know, I feel WAY better!
* whew! * Anyway, take care and thanks again!

NewbiShroomer

--------------------
If things get any worse, I'll have to ask you to stop helping me.

Too many freaks, not enough circuses.
http://www.Mycotopia.net

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale