Home | Community | Message Board

FreeSpores.com
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Political Discussion

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineLSDempire
LibertarianEnforcer
 User Gallery

Governments in need of regime change.
    #4331777 - 06/24/05 11:52 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

1. Saudi Arabia
2. Iran
3. North Korea
4. China
5. Rwanda
6. Every government in South America
7. Russia
8. France
9. Sweden
10. The United States of America

The governments and areas listed above are guilty of supporting the war on drugs, using torture, and committing various other crimes against the people they are supposed to protect. If you have a reason to remove a country from the list or make an exemption of a nation within South America, Africa, the Middle East, or any of the nations listed above please cite them. If you have any ideas on how to overthrow these regimes that could help save civilian, and rebel lives your comments are also very welcome.
What regimes do you consider the worst of the following?
You may choose many
Saudi Arabia
Iran
North Korea
China
Russia
Sweden
United States
France
Governments in Africa
Governments in South America

Votes accepted from (06/24/05 11:50 AM) to (No end specified)
View the results of this poll

Edited by LSDempire (06/24/05 12:34 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineLSDempire
LibertarianEnforcer
 User Gallery

Re: Governments in need of regime change. [Re: LSDempire]
    #4331817 - 06/24/05 12:01 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Note to admins: I would rather nobody is banned for "flaming" me because I know that some of them might not understand that I am talking about the governments in question, not the civilians or nations as a whole.

OfflineLSDempire
LibertarianEnforcer
 User Gallery

#4331852 - 06/24/05 12:07 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Saudi Arabia

Covering events from January - December 2002

KINGDOM OF SAUDI ARABIA
Head of state and government: King Fahd Bin ?Abdul ?Aziz Al-Saud
Death penalty: retentionist
International Criminal Court: not signed

Gross human rights violations continued and were exacerbated by the government policy of ?combating terrorism? in the wake of the 11 September 2001 attacks in the USA. The violations were perpetuated by the strictly secretive criminal justice system and the prohibition of political parties, trade unions and independent human rights organizations. Hundreds of suspected religious activists and critics of the state were arrested, and the legal status of most of those held from previous years remained shrouded in secrecy. Women continued to suffer severe discrimination. Torture and ill-treatment remained rife. At least 48 people were executed. Over 5,000 Iraqi refugees continued to live in Rafha camp as virtual prisoners. International non-governmental human rights organizations were denied access to the country and the government failed to respond to any of the concerns raised by AI during the year.

http://web.amnesty.org/report2003/sau-summary-eng

OfflineLSDempire
LibertarianEnforcer
 User Gallery

#4331862 - 06/24/05 12:10 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

There are so many sources siting abuse in Saudi Arabia that I will post this link to help you look at as much as possible.

http://www.google.com/search?num=100&...+arabia+torture

OfflineRedstorm
Prince of Bugs
Male

Folding@home Statistics
    #4331874 - 06/24/05 12:14 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Rwanda.

OfflineLSDempire
LibertarianEnforcer
 User Gallery

Re: Governments in need of regime change. [Re: Redstorm]
    #4331911 - 06/24/05 12:23 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Rwanda is to be added to the list?

OfflineLSDempire
LibertarianEnforcer
 User Gallery

#4331918 - 06/24/05 12:24 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Take Action
Seek Clarification of US Authorities' Role in Alleged Torture of Ahmed Abu 'Ali
Evidence has emerged which suggests that Ahmed Abu 'Ali, a US national who was detained in Saudi Arabia in June 2003 before being returned to the US in February 2005, was tortured and ill-treated while detained in Saudi Arabia, with the knowledge of US authorities. In addition, the conditions in which he is currently held in the US may amount to cruel, inhuman or degrading treatment. More Actions ?

OfflineRedstorm
Prince of Bugs
Male

Folding@home Statistics
    #4331919 - 06/24/05 12:24 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

I would say so, if it pleases you to do so.

OfflineLSDempire
LibertarianEnforcer
 User Gallery

Re: Governments in need of regime change. [Re: Redstorm]
    #4331935 - 06/24/05 12:30 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Redstorm said:
Rwanda.

I have refreashed my memory on Rwanda and I have decided I agree with you.

http://www.google.com/search?num=100&...=rwanda+torture

Sorry about all the google links but I need to get this information out as rapidly as possible. Rwanda is in africa so could you vote Africa for Rwanda intil I get the chance to find out if I can and should add Rwanda despite the fact that the poll has already started?

OfflineRedstorm
Prince of Bugs
Male

Folding@home Statistics
    #4331963 - 06/24/05 12:37 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

It's ok, I'll vote for Africa. I just wanted to point it out for further discussion.

OfflineLSDempire
LibertarianEnforcer
 User Gallery

#4331964 - 06/24/05 12:37 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

I was able to add Rwanda to the top ten list.

OfflineLSDempire
LibertarianEnforcer
 User Gallery

#4331969 - 06/24/05 12:38 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Sweden: Small Cracks Emerge in Drug War Consensus in Europe's Bastion of Reaction 11/17/00
While Sweden's hard-line stance on drugs, the toughest in Western Europe, will remain the law of the land in the foreseeable future, events in the last few weeks suggest that change may be looming just beyond the horizon.

In the 1990s, while most of Europe was moving toward harm reduction and decriminalization strategies toward drug use, Sweden went in the opposite direction. In 1988, Sweden criminalized not just the possession but also the use of drugs. Five years later, it increased the maximum sentence for being high to six months in prison and empowered police to force suspected drug users to submit to blood and urine tests in order to arrest them for consumption of drugs.

Now, a new report from the Swedish National Council for Crime Prevention has called that policy's tactics and effectiveness into question. As reported in the newspaper Dagens Nyheter, the council found that arrests for minor drug offenses had increased 70% from 1991 to 1997, that the number of drug tests of suspected users had more than doubled, but that youth drug use continued to rise.

"On the basis of the information that is available regarding the development of illegal drug use there are no clear-cut signs that the criminalization of drug use and the more stringent laws have had any deterrent effect," the report stated.

Criminologist Henrik Tham, a longtime critic of Swedish drug policies, told the Nyheter, "The statistics show that our tough legislation has not had any effect, even though the police are inspecting body fluids in their search for illegal drugs."

Critics may have an ally in the new Justice Minister, 38-year-old Thomas Bodstrom, who was appointed in mid-October. Two years ago, Bodstrom penned a critique of Swedish drug laws in the policy journal Liberal Debatt in which he described the criminalization of drug use as "completely meaningless" and criticized his predecessor, Laila Freivalds, for engaging in a "boring" debate with opposition drug warriors over whose policy was toughest.

In an October 15th interview with the newspaper Expressen, Bodstrom also detailed his own hash-smoking history. He smoked hash "many times" in his teenage years, "at parties and things like that," he said.

Bodstrom took pains to point out that he did not have a criminal record because of hash-smoking and, when asked whether he should have been imprisoned, he responded, "No, I could not have been because it was not illegal."

But this potential ally was backtracking within days as he faced mounting pressure from supporters of the status quo. Choosing his words carefully, he told the Nyheter, "What I was addressing in the Liberal Debatt article is the oversimplifying and caricaturizing that the Moderates [conservative opposition party] stand for with their belief that punishment is all that is necessary to fight crime. And that is absolutely not the case."

Bodstrom also parsed his earlier remarks about "meaningless criminalization," telling the Nyheter that he now supported criminalization.

"Yes, it is important. But we should not rest with that. It is rather meaningless to have only criminalization. The authorities must work preventatively and follow up punishment with care. Punishment alone means drug users are excluded from society," he said.

Where Bodstrom will end up on drug policy remains to be seen, but he is now in the hot seat.

Meanwhile, latent tensions over drug policy found expression in a teapot tempest over the kind of police presence required to control an MTV festival at Stockholm's suburban Globe theater scheduled for Thursday evening. According to reports in the newspaper Aftonbladet, local police authorities graciously declined offers from the country's "Rave Commission" drug squad and the Stockholm drug task force to help police the event. The festival features a number of global pop music stars and is expected to draw thousands of fans from across Europe.

"Thank you for your interest, but we don't see any need for your services," local police commanders wrote in their reply to the eager narcs.

"The risk for drugs is not bigger during the MTV festival than for other concerts," police commander Bruno Jarlestad told Aftonbladet. "Why should I presume that the world's elite artists are a bunch of junkies?"

Such an attitude did not sit well with either the drug squads or their civilian cheerleaders. Drug police accused local commanders of trying to avoid drug scandals and said they had 20 officers "ready to march."

Still, responded Jarlestad, "The Globe is within our jurisdiction. We have people who know the arena and can uphold law and order. There is no need for drug squads from the city to go there and show off and look for people under the influence of drugs."

Anti-drug crusaders such as Malou Lindholm, who has exported her brand of wisdom to drug squabbles as far away as Australia, and Torgny Peterson, the head of European Cities Against Drugs, are up in arms.

Peterson went so far as to send an open letter to the Stockholm police commission reminding authorities that police "are obligated to enforce existing narcotics legislation."

Peterson accused local police commanders of "arrogance but also an extensive ignorance about the presence of drugs in this type of event."

Peterson and his allies, however, got no succor from the police commission. Chairwoman Kristina Axen Olin told Aftonbladet that no special police presence is in place during concerts at the Globe.

"Therefore, it's not unusual if the local police department has made the judgment that extra help is needed," she said. "All policemen are trained to handle drug issues."

By Wednesday, however, local police commanders reversed course in the face of the criticism, allowing the drug squads to be present during the festival.

Local police spokesman Jarlestad remained unconvinced that the narcs were needed. "The Rave Commission wants to come and we might need to bring in the marine police if it rains a lot. Then in case of a hostage drama I guess we'll have to bring in the national crisis team and some negotiators as well," he sneered to Aftonbladet.

Swedish drug war zealots can also rest easier knowing that Swedish Customs has brought in the drug dogs at Arlanda airport to ensure that visiting fans and musicians are coming in clean.

As of press time, DRCNet had no reports of drug-addled music fans rampaging through Sweden before, during, or after the festival.

InvisibleSilversoul
Rhizome
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Barricades
    #4331974 - 06/24/05 12:40 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

All of the above.

--------------------

OfflineLSDempire
LibertarianEnforcer
 User Gallery

#4332016 - 06/24/05 12:47 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Why is Russia and Sweden geting such low ratings? Please read my updates before you vote. I have good reasons for putting both of those countries on the list. Putin is the dictator of Russia, he has shut down private media and arrested all the top libertarians in Russia. Sweden and France are the only two nations in western Europe that are still moving towards increasing punishments and funding for the war on drugs.

OfflineLSDempire
LibertarianEnforcer
 User Gallery

Re: Governments in need of regime change. [Re: Silversoul]
    #4332070 - 06/24/05 01:02 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Paradigm said:
All of the above.

Thats what I voted as well.

OfflineLSDempire
LibertarianEnforcer
 User Gallery

The War No One Wants to Win [Re: LSDempire]
    #4332087 - 06/24/05 01:07 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

OfflineLSDempire
LibertarianEnforcer
 User Gallery

Re: The War No One Wants to Win [Re: LSDempire]
    #4332096 - 06/24/05 01:08 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

OfflineLSDempire
LibertarianEnforcer
 User Gallery

Nations that are taking steps towards protecting their population from the war on drugs. [Re: LSDempire]
    #4332731 - 06/24/05 04:12 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

1. Denmark
2. Switzerland
3. Netherlands
4. Portugal
5. Italy
6. Luxembourg
7. Belgium
8. Spain
9. Australia
10. Austria

In summary, in Spain, Italy, Portugal, and Luxembourg, there has been decriminalization by law, meaning that the law does not foresee possession for personal consumption of some or of any drugs as criminal offenses. The same framework will probably be applied in the near future in Belgium, after the announced law is issued.

http://www.drugwarfacts.org/internat.htm
What nations are doing the most to protect people from the war on drugs?
You may choose many
Spain
Italy
Portugal
Luxembourg
Belgium
Netherlands
Denmark
Australia
Switzerland
Austria

Votes accepted from (06/24/05 04:10 PM) to (No end specified)
View the results of this poll

OfflineLSDempire
LibertarianEnforcer
 User Gallery

Re: Nations that are taking steps towards protecting their population from the war on drugs. [Re: LSDempire]
    #4332741 - 06/24/05 04:16 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Invisiblemoog
Stranger

Re: Nations that are taking steps towards protecting their population from the war on drugs. [Re: LSDempire]
    #4333078 - 06/24/05 05:53 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

"protect people from the war on drugs"

What exactly does that mean? It doesn't make sense.

As for regime change, all governments are unacceptable. But, let's be reasonable and start with the tyrants first.

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

General Interest >> Political Discussion