Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinethashaman
Biophilosopher

Casing Environment Question...
    #4328525 - 06/23/05 12:35 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Hey guys/gals, I was wondering. Some guy I'm acquainted with was telling me about this setup he had. He made two casings. One was 7x7 at about 2 inches deep in all. The other was 6x6 about two inches deep in all. the 7x7 was made from 2 crumbled BRF 1/2 pint jars over about .5 inch of coco-coir/vermiculite mix, and topped with about .5 inch of the same casing mixture. This strain was B+. The second 6x6 casing was had same specifications but was PESA strain and Alien's substrate was used. Anyways. He birthed the casings into the fruiting chamber about 3 days ago, and both are healthy. There has been no mold or cobweb growth because he mists about 2 x a day with 10% hydrogen peroxide solution. The birthing chamber is a PMP, and he is not worried too much about the casings but has one specific question....

The inucbation temperature was about 84-86 degrees F. The fruiting chamber he says stays between 78-82 degrees F. Are the casings likely to have a healthy pin set assuming no overlay, even though there wasn't a 10 degrees drop when birthed? Will the pins just take longer to come? He's just wondering... Thanks for any input!

Edited by thashaman (06/23/05 12:40 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineIGnosticAbhorI
Stranger-er

Re: Casing Environment Question... [Re: thashaman]
    #4328538 - 06/23/05 12:38 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Will the pins just take longer to come

^^ most likely.

-Gnostic

Offlinepcubmycol
flattiefisherman

Loc: Selectively breeding the ...
    #4328544 - 06/23/05 12:38 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

ok, if you're serious about it being in celcius, then to say the least, you're fucked, but im sure you mean Fahrenheit. The pins could take as long as a couple weeks to come. Make sure your casing layer is even and patch over any spots that the mycelium comes up before the rest does.

Edit: also... optimal fruiting temp is between 74 and 77 not 78 and 82

--------------------
weretheshit.com is the shit!

:-D

Edited by pcubmycol (06/23/05 12:40 PM)

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #4328558 - 06/23/05 12:42 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Thats my growing temperature..has been forever...it CAN be a SMALL problem...a little extra colonization in the casing layer. I've just learned to birth the casings a day earlier then most...but if you give them LOTS of fresh air (PMP is good for that, the airpump) and light (carful with the light, make sure you use a light source that wont heat up the chamber much) 12 hours a day (either indirect sunlight or flouros work the best) the small temp drop should be enough.

If you notice growth taking over the casing layer over the next few days, instead of slowing, and beginning pinning...then you should wrap it up tight and throw it in the fridge for 24 hours to stall veg growth and help kick in fruiting mode...I usually dont need to do this though. Also throwing a 2 liter filled with frozen water (rotate one in the freezer all the time, one on top of the chamber) on top of the PMP could help lower temps, especially during the day, while your working on pinning.

After the pinset, the warmth doesnt seem to be a problem.

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

Offlinepcubmycol
flattiefisherman

Loc: Selectively breeding the ...
Re: Casing Environment Question... [Re: scatmanrav]
    #4328572 - 06/23/05 12:46 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

I thought that cold shocking is not beneficial to P. Cubensis, and in fact only to wood loving fungi. Ive also heard that cold shocking cubes can actually delay pinning 3 to 4 days. Could have been bad info i read... any big dogs out there want to take this one?

--------------------
weretheshit.com is the shit!

:-D

OfflineIGnosticAbhorI
Stranger-er

Re: Casing Environment Question... [Re: IGnosticAbhorI]
    #4328587 - 06/23/05 12:50 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

IME.

Cold shocking doesn't really do anything for p.cubes...

Only under certain conditions....But usually it doesn't.

Wood-lovers love it though...B/c they need such a big drop in temp. to fruit.

-Gnostic

Offlinethashaman
Biophilosopher

Re: Casing Environment Question... [Re: scatmanrav]
    #4329322 - 06/23/05 04:48 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

scatmanrav,

I think I will take your valuable advice on this one. I have seen your casing pics and realize that you know what you are talking about. Yea I have some liquid gelatin freezer packs(they stay cold longer), and I will tell my aquaintance to plan on rotating them in and out of the fruiting chamber. He did finally get it down to 77.5 degrees. He's using a fluorescent light that has alot of intensity in the blue range. So hopefully pinning will occur. The mycelium tore through the casing layer which wasn't too suprising (only 1/2 inch casing layer), and seems to have stopped there. Seems like it wants to pin, he's just waiting for it. But thanks for the advice, I will tell him to consider the cold shock if he doesn't get pins in about two or 3 more days... I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks again.

Thanks everyone else too for your insight. I will keep ya'll updated.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck