Home | Community | Message Board

The Best Salvia
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD   Amazon Brown Rice Flour, Peat, Pressure Cooker, Rye Grain, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinestarseed1066
officially hosed

Loc: close enough to get mysel...
arg! my pinset!
    #4327432 - 06/23/05 03:34 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

ok, i'm sorry to bother, but i seriously need interactive advice on this; i've searchd and seached and read and read, and i still cant get a halfway decent pinset to save my life. i've had like 6 successful grows, the first one and a half with cakes, the rest with casings and h/poo. the yield has been decent, but my pinset has been little better than a disaster. (i'll post pics in the morning, i've had a few too many drinks to get my new camera to cooperate right now.)

i've tried different casing materials (coco, coco/verm, peat/verm) as well as just straight h/poo mixed with verm and fruited off that (the most even so far). but for some reason i dont get real flushes (it grows a bunch at once initially, after the first flush it just keeps pumping out a few mushrooms at a time from then out), and its just...not like i always see in pictures. if i let the casing material colonize properly, and introduce fruiting conditions, what is the issue?

--------------------
Under his instruction, I taped drumsticks to his head and turned him into a sort of mummy, or perhaps a caterpiller in a cocoon. He remains this way for about three hours, making bizarre noises, pretending to be a new species that must learn to walk and talk and eat, etc. And he communicates with other life forms by way of the antennae on his head. Eventually we jam a tube from a waterbong into it's mouth and figure he's learned all he needs to know.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineEnCHaNTeDHoBBiT
Drug Connoisseur

Loc: Crawling on The Forest Fl...
Re: arg! my pinset! [Re: starseed1066]
    #4327448 - 06/23/05 03:45 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

I had this problem too until I really got my casing layer completely even. It really helped produce an even pinset and better flushes. Dunno if this might be your problem but getting the casing layer depth as even as possible solved my issues.

Invisibledog
straw dog

Loc: Route 66
    #4327466 - 06/23/05 03:55 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

What ^^^ said and proper moisture content of the casing are two important factors in achieving a thick, even pinset. Keep working at it - you'll get it.

--------------------

Fascism (fash'izem) n. A governmental system marked by a centralized dictatorship, stringent socioeconomic controls, and often belligerent nationalism. see also: the Bush Administration.

OfflineWronguy
Trusted Cultivator
Re: arg! my pinset! [Re: dog]
    #4327699 - 06/23/05 08:33 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Achieving an even layer of casing mix and depth play key roles in the pinset. Getting the moisture content is really not that hard in my opinion. I would scrap the 1:4 ratio of casing to substrate and do some experimenting on your own. I have a 3 inch substrate on my current grow and I'm only going to put about a 1/2 inch casing layer.

My casing technique has definitely improved, but I'm not their yet.

Offlinestarseed1066
officially hosed

Re: arg! my pinset! [Re: Wronguy]
    #4328169 - 06/23/05 01:06 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

holy crap, i've never heard of the 1:4 ratio....that seems like waaay too much.

my best pinset yet is happening right now, off a poo tub that about 70/30 poo/verm, and i used no casing layer. i just let it colonize and fruited it.

--------------------
Under his instruction, I taped drumsticks to his head and turned him into a sort of mummy, or perhaps a caterpiller in a cocoon. He remains this way for about three hours, making bizarre noises, pretending to be a new species that must learn to walk and talk and eat, etc. And he communicates with other life forms by way of the antennae on his head. Eventually we jam a tube from a waterbong into it's mouth and figure he's learned all he needs to know.

Offlinepsilocyben
bad guy

#4328249 - 06/23/05 01:23 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

yeah, casing it might help to start with.

one thing that f-ed me up from the git-go was the threat of overlay that i had heard much ado about.

i'd never even let my casing layer come close to being adequately colonized, and as a result, suffered lengthy waits, and poor pinsets.

i think some people experience this same problem when starting out.

may or may not apply to your situation.
we'll be able to help alot more when you get those pics.

:zoom:

--------------------

Offlinepcubmycol
flattiefisherman

Loc: Selectively breeding the ...
    #4328260 - 06/23/05 01:27 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Do you patch before the first flush?

--------------------
weretheshit.com is the shit!

:-D

InvisibleQuiescence
Intriguer
 Arcade Champion: Hexxagon

#4328401 - 06/23/05 02:02 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Something no one seemed to mention.. and I think has a good deal to do with it.. is air exchange. I have two CPU fans running inside the chamber... a coolmist and I fan 5 times a day. Or as often as possible. Plus I have holes all around with polyfil.

I have had a problem with a small gap in my pinset.. but well.. this pic was my worst... before I got the extra fan and fanning so often..

These are better...

EDIT:There.. now it's the right link..

Even substrate.. even casing.. AIR EXCHANGE. I even use a blow dryer(With no heat) to create wind.... That may be excessive.. But I like to keep CO2 levels for them .. the same as what I am breathing.

~Quiescence~

--------------------
God raised up the fellow who was relaxed in the company of tax collectors, prostitutes and other outsiders, and went on to say that many of them would be welcomed to God?s banquet table long before those self-righteous people on display at church.

Edited by Quiescence (06/23/05 02:24 PM)

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: arg! my pinset! [Re: Quiescence]
    #4328417 - 06/23/05 02:05 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Quiescence said:
Something no one seemed to mention.. and I think has a good deal to do with it.. is  air exchange. I have two CPU fans running inside the chamber... a coolmist and I fan 5 times a day. Or as often as possible. Plus I have holes all around with polyfil.

I have had a problem with a small gap in my pinset.. but well.. this pic was my worst... before I got the extra fan and fanning so often..

These are better...

Even substrate.. even casing.. AIR EXCHANGE. I even use a blow dryer(With no heat) to create wind.... That may be excessive.. But I like to keep CO2 levels for them .. the same as what I am breathing.

~Quiescence~

:thumbup:

And I dont think ^^he said it enough...fresh air, fresh air, fresh air...freeeeshhhh aiirrrrrr... :smile:

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

Offlinepcubmycol
flattiefisherman

Loc: Selectively breeding the ...
    #4328427 - 06/23/05 02:07 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

damn... someone knows what they're doing... good info  :thumbup: :thumbup:

--------------------
weretheshit.com is the shit!

:-D

Offlinestarseed1066
officially hosed

#4330498 - 06/23/05 11:46 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

damn. thats what i'm talking about.

i'm currently waiting for more spores and a pressure cooker so i can start doing rye or wbs *hides shame* i've been lazy and havent foudn one at garage sales or value village yet so i've just been spawning pf caked to poo :rotfl:

once i do that i'm changing over to the single/double tub tek. i do air exchange pretty often, but i think i'm also scared of overlay so i've not been letting my casing layer colonize properly. thanks guys, helpful as usual.

--------------------

InvisibleQuiescence
Intriguer
 Arcade Champion: Hexxagon

#4330935 - 06/24/05 01:49 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

My goodness! You have been using poo and you don't have any WBS?! Wow. You are gonna be a pretty happy camper once you see how great WBS is with poo...

Go get that PC.

~Quiescence~

--------------------
God raised up the fellow who was relaxed in the company of tax collectors, prostitutes and other outsiders, and went on to say that many of them would be welcomed to God?s banquet table long before those self-righteous people on display at church.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD   Amazon Brown Rice Flour, Peat, Pressure Cooker, Rye Grain, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation