Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Coir, Perlite, Rye Grain, Ultrasonic Humidifier, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Carry a bigstick
Here are the plans for my first grow, am I doing anything wrong?
    #4325779 - 06/22/05 06:48 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

The following instructions were not created by me but follow and established tek, I DO NOT claim credit from those who've gone before me.

This is the plan I've established from doing some research, however I just wanted to run it by the experts and see if they had anything to add or if they saw anything that didn't seem right. There are some questions that I had at the bottom. Thanks for your help and wish me luck in my first grow.

Preparing Grain and Jars

1. Measure out one cup of rye for every quart jar used.
2. Let it soak in a big pot for 24 hours. Check every few hours for the rye to sprout. This is bad, do not let happen!
3. Strain the grain through a colander to get rid of the dirty water.
4. Put in a pot with plenty of fresh boiling water(roughly double the amount of the grain), reduce the heat and simmer for ~45 min, until the first rye kernels begin to open.
4. Strain the simmered grain through a colander. Rinse with water to remove starch on outside of rye. Let sit for 10 minutes for excess water to fall off.
5. Make 2 holes in the jar lids. One is a breather and one is for the syringe needle.
6. Add the rye into the jars. Leave about an inch space on top empty in order to shake up rye.
7. Put a piece of Tyvek over the top, add the ring and some foil and your ready to PC.
8. PC for 1.5 hours at 15 psi.

Incubator setup

1. A large plastic tub is used and a submersible water heater is secured to the bottom. Place spacers in the bottom corners in order to prop the top tub up.
2. Place the top tub into the bottom and secure with zip ties. Add as much water as possible.

1. Heat needle tip till glowing red and wait 10 seconds to cool.
2. Inoculate the grain using 2.5 cc per quart.
3. Cover the inoculation hole with a sterile band-aid.
4. Shake up the jars well and place into incubator. Incubator temp set at 82-86 F.
5. Shake up jars once more at 25% colonized and 75% colonized.

1. Casing mix will be composed of coco coir and vermiculite mix.
2. Add water to the coco coir as instructions say.
3. Soak vermiculite in large tub, strain when completely moistened.
4. Mix 2 parts coir to 1 part vermiculite.
5. Put mix in jars and PC for 1.5 hours at 15 psi.
6. Then pour 1/2 inch layer of casing into the container.
7. Scoop the 1 quart of mycelium onto the top of the bottom layer of the container, smooth out, but do not pack down.
8. Add top casing layer. Should be about 1/4 as thick as the substrate layer. Cover with foil and place in incubator, which is still set at 82-86 F.
9. Leave in incubator for 4-7 days or till the mycelium starts to break the surface.

Fruiting Chamber

Not sure on what exact design I will be using, however I do believe I will be using a cool mist humidifier to provide constant airflow and humidity above 90%.

That's my plan as of now, but I have a few questions if anyone still has the patience to answer...

1. Any ideas on a terrarium that is not going to take up a room but can hold about 10 casings?
2. Is 82-86 F the correct temperature to incubate at? I hear because of all the jars, heat can be increased because of the colonization and cause heat levels that are too high...
3. I hear that shaking the inoculated jars can be detrimental... any thoughts?
4. Anyone have any recommendations for a cool mist humidifier? Also, will it produce enough humidity for around 10 cases? Brand name, purchase place etc.
5. What strand of P. Cubensis should I use? I'm looking for something with high yield both in number and potency. Any suggestions on where to buy?
6. Should I think about perlite instead of cool mist?

Welp there it is, if you can help me at all it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks and happy trippin'!

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Re: Here are the plans for my first grow, am I doing anything wrong? [Re: doubledog2]
    #4325835 - 06/22/05 07:01 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

You could use alcohol soaked cloth to cool your needle and it sterilizes it even more.

Have you thinked about Double tub?

I?m not very sure where does the rug start and I end.

Carry a bigstick
Re: Here are the plans for my first grow, am I doing anything wrong? [Re: Zenith]
    #4325891 - 06/22/05 07:16 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

If your referring to the double tub tek located here, then ya I've given it some thought, not sure what else I was missing out on.. Thanks.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Coir, Perlite, Rye Grain, Ultrasonic Humidifier, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation