Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Pressure Cooker

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlineblackout
Microwaver
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
How much salt can cubensis handle per weight of grain? Bleach: COLD STERILIZATION
    #4323776 - 06/22/05 06:50 AM (11 years, 5 months ago)

I have soaked grain for a week and microwaved once for 25min. It is colonised and now cased with no sign of contams. I think this may jsut be luck, and it was only 20g of grain.
I now have 250g of wheat soaking in a 1% bleach solution. I plan on rinsing it off after a week and microwaving it. My theory is that all the endospores will germinate over the week long soak and be killed instantly by the bleach. Then it can undergo a simple boiling to sterilize.

Bleach decomposes into sodium chloride (salt) and chlorine gas. I am now thinking that if cubensis was tolerant to salt that I could simply soak the grain in the bleach solution, but after a week I could just leave it in sunlight for the bleach to decompose without any heating at all. Say the (bleach) water content was 50% by weight and was 1% bleach, then I should be left with grains with a sodium chloride content of less than 0.5% (some of the weight will be chlorine gas, I'll leave that calcultaion to the chemists).

So does it sound possible? People have added salt to fight contams off so just how harmful is it to myc?

--------------------
support the free spore ring http://fsre.nl/

Edited by blackout (06/22/05 10:04 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: How much salt can cubensis handle per weight of grain? Bleach experiment [Re: blackout]
    #4323779 - 06/22/05 06:54 AM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Mmmmm, releasing chlorine gases into the air...

Myc hates salt, you could maybe get by with a little but chances arent so great...but ummm..your experiments are a bit to wild for me...good luck though

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

Offlineblackout
Microwaver
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: How much salt can cubensis handle per weight of grain? Bleach experiment [Re: scatmanrav]
    #4323783 - 06/22/05 06:58 AM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

scatmanrav said:
Mmmmm, releasing chlorine gases into the air...

The jar will have a filter disc, so it should all be gone. Heating will accelerate the decompostition, but it would be interesting to see if it can be done without heating.

Quote:

scatmanrav said:
your experiments are a bit to wild for me...good luck though

it was the white widow that made me do it officer  :stoned:

--------------------

OfflineIGnosticAbhorI
Stranger-er

Re: How much salt can cubensis handle per weight of grain? Bleach experiment [Re: blackout]
    #4323805 - 06/22/05 07:29 AM (11 years, 5 months ago)

haha :rotfl:

Good luck?

-Gnostic

InvisibleFooManM
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Earth Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #4323879 - 06/22/05 09:06 AM (11 years, 5 months ago)

I like to hear about experiments on here. If you don't mind me asking, what would be the advantages of using bleach instead of a pressure cooker if this experiment does work? Other than the price of a pressure cooker, of course. This just seems kind of messy, smelly and time consuming to me.  :confused:

--------------------

OfflineIGnosticAbhorI
Stranger-er

Re: How much salt can cubensis handle per weight of grain? Bleach experiment [Re: FooMan]
    #4323886 - 06/22/05 09:10 AM (11 years, 5 months ago)

This way people w/o a PC would have a good way of using Grains.

Striaght and simple.

That and for the scientific satisifcation...:lol:

-Gnostic

Offlineblackout
Microwaver
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: How much salt can cubensis handle per weight of grain? Bleach experiment [Re: IGnosticAbhorI]
    #4323923 - 06/22/05 09:41 AM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Bleach costs me only 69cent for 2 litres. You would save on the cost of the PC, and electricity. It also would mean you could use massive containers, like cheap 25litre plastic containers or bigger like a huge 100l rubbermaid with a massive filter patch.
It takes a long time to happen, but there is very little work involved for an individual.

I don't think it will work since you would have heard of it before, it would be so easy for bulk growers that it must have been tried before.

A thread I found.
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php?Cat=0&Board=Forum2&Number=3258580

--------------------

Edited by blackout (06/22/05 10:04 AM)

OfflineHotnuts
old hand
 User Gallery

Loc: Wild Blue Yawnder
    #4324611 - 06/22/05 01:47 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

I'd say your chances aren't very good. The idea is, but the chances are not. Note, that bleach does not kill all endospores, nor does a pc run.

Edited by hotnutz (06/22/05 01:48 PM)

Offlineblackout
Microwaver
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: How much salt can cubensis handle per weight of grain? Bleach experiment [Re: Hotnuts]
    #4342379 - 06/27/05 11:24 AM (11 years, 5 months ago)

I have 250g dry wheat grain which was soaked in a 1% bleach solution for 6 days in a sealed PET coke bottle. Many grains appear to have started germinating but must have been killed by the bleach. There is no bleach smell from the container at all. The grain was added dry and the bleach was cold. It was kept at about 20C in darkness. It seems the bleach has degraded in that time. I tasted a tiny bit of the solution and there was no bleach taste, it was salty. I rinsed it several times in cold water, and now have it steeping in hot water. I will microwave the grain until it is bone dry, then I will rinse it in boiling water and add the correct amount of water and microwave it again.

My other 20g of wheat which was soaked for 1 week in water and microwaved once for 25mins is now starting to show the first signs of pinning.

--------------------

Edited by blackout (06/27/05 11:25 AM)

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Pressure Cooker

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation