Home | Community | Message Board

Mushrooms.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Original Seeds Store Shop: Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinestarbirther
Explorer
Veils? Mold? "Cobwebs"? What's the white stuff covering the gills?
    #4323759 - 06/22/05 06:32 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Hi all, I've been having a lot of success hunting Psilocybe Subaeruginosas, but I'm a bit curious about the white stuff which covers the gills on some of the younger mushrooms.

I've attached a picture which illustrates what I'm talking about. From left to right there is a mushroom which is covered in the white material, the middle one has a little bit of the stuff (it looks a lot like cobwebs), and the one on the right has none of this stuff.

It seemed to me like this was just how mushrooms "are", and not to worry about it, but when I dried them, the white stuff stayed and looked quite strange. I had gotten a batch of the same mushrooms from a friend and none of those mushrooms had this white stuff. I've also never seen the white stuff on any pictures of dried Subaeruginosas.

So what's going on? Am I just picking the mushrooms too early? Can I just scrape the white stuff away before/after drying them? At first I thought it was mold or contamination or something like that, but now I'm not so sure... It's not unhealthy to eat it, right?

I've also attached a picture of what a dried mushroom with this stuff looks like. It's unlike anything I've seen before on the net.

Any help is appreciated!

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleDepthToTheCore
JeeBuzz
Male User Gallery
Loc: Australia brah
Re: Veils? Mold? "Cobwebs"? What's the white stuff covering the gills? [Re: starbirther]
    #4323820 - 06/22/05 07:47 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

I have found alot of small mushrooms with this "web" like structure under the cap. I have always thought it was just veil remanants - tiny strands of mushroom tissue that havent decayed/torn away from the cap yet. That is my theory, i could be completely wrong but i can assure you that you have nothing to worry as it is not harmful if thats what you were wondering.

--------------------

"Those who dance are considered insane by those who cannot hear the music." - George Carlin

Invisibleshroomydan
exshroomerite
 User Gallery

Loc: In the woods
Re: Veils? Mold? "Cobwebs"? What's the white stuff covering the gills? [Re: starbirther]
    #4323864 - 06/22/05 08:50 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

That's just the veil. It's there to protect the immature gills. When the mushroom matures the veil breaks away so the spores can be ejected into the air.

No worries mate.  :tongue2:

Offlinestarbirther
Explorer
Re: Veils? Mold? "Cobwebs"? What's the white stuff covering the gills? [Re: shroomydan]
    #4323895 - 06/22/05 09:17 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Thankyou both for your replies; both as I expected. I'm heading off for a few days but when I return I'll post some pics from my hunts to the Australian/NZ thread (I'm a melbournite)!

Cheers guys.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Original Seeds Store Shop: Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification