Home | Community | Message Board

Myco Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Invisibleveggie

Loc: Flag
Music festival ended with numerous arrests [CA]
    #4323578 - 06/22/05 04:01 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Sierra Nevada World Music Festival Ended With Numerous Arrests
June 20, 2005 - uniondemocrat.com

A sick fox being fed hard-boiled eggs and beer, "magic mushrooms" and an African drummer swallowing handfuls of glass were among the highlights of this weekend's Sierra Nevada World Music Festival.

Melanie Lewis said this year's festival was pretty mellow compared to previous years.

As manager of Glory Hole Sports across from the Calaveras County Fairgrounds - where the Friday-through-Sunday event was held - Lewis said last year she had to kick someone off her parking lot who was selling drugs from a motor home, using a "six-foot menu sign."

One of the most noteworthy events this year, according to Calaveras County Sheriff's Department reports, involved a sick fox and "about 10,000 hippies trying to feed it granola and tofu."

"I didn't say it like that, but that's pretty much the way it was. Actually, it was hard-boiled eggs and beer," said Lewis, who reported the sick fox to rangers at New Melones Reservoir on Saturday morning.

The 12th annual Sierra Nevada World Music Festival is "dedicated to nurturing a world family peacefully united in celebration of the universal spirit of music," promoters say. The festival's headquarters are in Ryde, Sacramento County.

This weekend's celebration included an assortment of illegal drugs, said Angels Camp Police Chief Tony Tacheira.

A Northern California man was arrested on his way to the festival by Angels Camp police. Officers seized more than an ounce of methamphetamine, a large amount of marijuana and some "magic mushrooms - whatever you want to call them, 'shrooms'," Tacheira said.

Between Angels Camp police and the Sheriff's Department, 21 arrests were made at the festival - 11 felonies and 10 misdemeanors. Of those, 10 people were arrested on a total of 44 drug charges, said sheriff's spokeswoman Debby Parsons.

Several people were arrested in unrelated cases for the possession and sale of hallucinogenic mushrooms. Other arrests included the possession of ecstasy, marijuana, and public intoxication.

An ambulance responded when two people called 911 stating they were overdosing on Mushrooms and were going to die, they were not aware of their location and proceeded to drive to the Glory Hole Store to wait for help.

On Friday afternoon, two guys carried a foot-long, glass marijuana smoking device along Highway 49 while others lit up joints in the parking lot.

Phrases like, "I'm coming back for some bong hits" and "roll another joint" could be heard among the eclectic crowd.

When those in the crowd got the munchies, there were plenty of pita chips and organic ginger ale to go around. Other common sights were Bob Marley flags and bumper stickers denouncing President Bush.

"Need crank and wicked roadies to explore real tenacious feel!," read magnets stuck to an olive Volkswagen bus.

Tim Saylor, a 25-year-old who said he lives in the woods of Mendocino County, has attended the shows since 1999.

"A lot of people don't even care about the music. Some don't even go in for the show," said Saylor, adding that some attend just to sell drugs.

As for Saylor, he said he goes to the festivals for "rastafarianism" - a religion that includes dreadlocks, marijuana, reggae music and the colors red, green and black.

"The music has really reached out to me," Saylor said. "Its helped me stay sane."

A member of the Me-Wuk tribe blessed the ceremony on Friday after a musician broke a six-pack of beer bottles and ate the glass before an audience.

With regards to all the festival's drug use, "the locals probably look at us as lame-o's," said Saylor, who wore a camouflage hat with a "Freedom" patch on it.

Emily Stemler, an 83-year-old Angels Camp woman, said she doesn't mind reggae music and can even tolerate dreadlocks.

"Whatever hair style you want, that's your choice, too," she said. "That's America."

Edited by veggie (06/22/05 10:25 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleKrishna
कृष्ण,LOL
 User Gallery

Loc: oakland
Re: Music festival ended with numerous arrests [CA] [Re: veggie]
    #4323844 - 06/22/05 08:28 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

veggie said:
As for Saylor, he said he goes to the festivals for "rastafarianism" — a religion that includes dreadlocks, marijuana, reggae music and the colors red, green and black.

hey, let's denounce a century old religious tradition to a hair-style and pot.

fucking lame. :nonono:

--------------------

Invisiblekake
The answer to1984 is 1776.
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: The 66th harmonic
Re: Music festival ended with numerous arrests [CA] [Re: Krishna]
    #4324145 - 06/22/05 11:41 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

lol...I was scratching my head after reading that line.

--------------------
The answer to 1984 is 1776.

Invisibleveggie

#4324187 - 06/22/05 12:06 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Krishna said:

I didn't read it that way at all myself. It seems like it was a 3 day celebration to rasta and reggae. Hey, there was music, food, beer, pot, and mushrooms. Except for some arrests, which I suppose are unavoidable, it sounds like a fine weekend..."pretty mellow", as a local business person described it.

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
    #4327823 - 06/23/05 10:14 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

> Hey, there was music, food, beer, pot, and mushrooms.

I know many Rastafarian's and they all despise any drug other than cannabis. If there was meth, mushrooms, mdma, etc going around, then I find it highly unlikely that the people taking those substances were Rastafarian. (Where I live, the population is split probably 59/40/1 Christian/Rastafarian/Other.)

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

OfflineGNIOM1498
Death Cup
 User Gallery

Loc: My home is where my spiri...
Re: Music festival ended with numerous arrests [CA] [Re: Seuss]
    #4329661 - 06/23/05 08:14 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

I like the idea that "hippies" are giving a sick fox hard-boiled eggs and beer. Doesn't sound like the hippies i know.

--------------------

----ALL MY POSTS ARE FICTIONAL-------

InvisibleKrishna
कृष्ण,LOL
 User Gallery

Loc: oakland
    #4331889 - 06/24/05 12:18 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

veggie said:
Quote:

Krishna said:

I didn't read it that way at all myself. It seems like it was a 3 day celebration to rasta and reggae. Hey, there was music, food, beer, pot, and mushrooms. Except for some arrests, which I suppose are unavoidable, it sounds like a fine weekend..."pretty mellow", as a local business person described it.

mm but here is a direct quote from the article, which is what i was commenting on, "As for Saylor, he said he goes to the festivals for "rastafarianism" - a religion that includes dreadlocks, marijuana, reggae music and the colors red, green and black." that's just lame, it'd be like saying "he goes to the festivals for "christianity" - a religion that includes crosses, holy-wine, and gospel."

--------------------

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
    #4332074 - 06/24/05 01:03 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

> mm but here is a direct quote from the article

Oh, I know... I was venting on the article, not at you personally.  :smile:

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

Invisibleveggie

#4332436 - 06/24/05 02:41 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Related article...

Sheriff squares off with festival promoter
June 24, 2005 - calaverasenterprise.com

A perceived crackdown by law enforcement officers at last weekend's Sierra Nevada World Music Festival infuriated concert-goers, signaling what could be the end of the annual event in Calaveras County.

Festival promoter/manager Warren Smith said the Sierra Nevada World Music Festival, a three-day event featuring reggae artists from around the world, will most likely not be returning to the Calaveras County fairgrounds next year after Sheriff's deputies went on a "search and destroy" mission this past weekend.

"They did hundreds of illegal searches," Smith said. "They scoured. There was no due process."

Sheriff Dennis Downum opposes the Sierra Nevada World Music Festival being held at the Calaveras County Fairgrounds or in Calaveras County at all, but he insists that's not why his deputies were cracking down on concertgoers last weekend.

"If you're going to run and promote a festival that's built on drug use, you should expect some of your people to get arrested," Downum said.

With six deputies, including one undercover officer taking videotape, the Sheriff's Department arrested 17 people at the three-day festival that ran Friday through Sunday at the fairgrounds.

The filming was "just for our information," Downum said. "If the quality is any good, I'm going to try to put it on public TV. If there's criticism about us being there and working this event, then we can show the people why we were there. I think they would be very happy we were."

Smith said the sheriffs "probably have the right" to go undercover and film. "It's just probably part of their tools. But, they're not encouraging us to grow or stay there.

"The sheriffs knew if they did this that we would leave," he added.

Downum said he has no control over whether the concert leaves but made it clear he'd be happy if it did.

"You're darn right we'd like to see it go away," he said. "We don't see any need for bringing a bunch of people from Marin County up here to smoke dope."

"They were probably smoking marijuana," Smith admitted.

On a message board on the festival's website was buzzing in the wake of the events of last weekend's festival. One concertgoer said, "Arresting people for smoking at a reggae show? Yes, yes, I know it is illegal, but come now. Everyone knows, including John Law, what is going down, and as long as people are just on foot, what is the deal?"

Downum said only three people were cited for marijuana and the reason was because they were in areas surrounded by little kids.

"Other than that, most of the arrests were associated with psilocybin (hallucinogenic mushrooms), LSD, Ecstasy and methamphetamines," Downum said. "We don't see a lot of that up here."

That's another reason Downum wants the concert to leave.

"After this event leaves town we normally see (those drugs) around for a couple weeks," he said. "All the kids in the county stock up."

Smith said his concert is not likely to return to the fairgrounds.

"Nobody wants to come back," he said. "I don't think we could ever recover from what they did this weekend."

He said he would make a decision within the next 30 days.

When asked if he would file a complaint with the Sheriffs Department, Smith said, "I really can't comment on that at this point."

The festival has been in Calaveras County for five years. Before that it was in Marysville where Downum said it was thrown out.

"They wouldn't be here if any place else would let them in," Downum said.

If the festival does not return to Calaveras County, local businesses could be the ones that suffer the most.

Smith contends the show brings a lot of money into the economy.

"We flew in talent from Jamaica and Trinidad," he said. "It's a world class event, rated as one of the largest and most successful festivals of its genre in the world. We sold tickets in Japan. We make Angels Camp a destination point. I know we do things for the economy. Last year Save Mart said we made the biggest day in their history."

Fair Manager Ray Malerbi agreed the show is good for business.

"I think it brings quite a bit of money into the economy," Malerbi said. "Some hotel rooms are used. There's TOT tax and sales tax coming in. The entire county, not just Angels, benefits."

Smith said it's because of Malerbi that the sheriffs were there.

In 2001 when the festival first came to the county, Smith had a similar problem with the sheriffs' tactics.

"Back then the motto was, ‘come to Calaveras on vacation and leave on probation,'" Smith said. Since 2001 the sheriffs have not policed the actual concert.

But this year with the "new fair manager, the sheriff came back and basically did the same thing," Smith said.

Malerbi said he's been working on bringing the sheriffs back for quite a while and not just for the festival.

The fair and the Sheriffs Department recently finalized a contract that provides for law enforcement at all events over 1,000 people at the fairgrounds.

Due to the late signing of the contract, the fair paid for the sheriffs at this year's festival, but noted it will be up to the event to pay for the cost in the future.

"We have an agreement in place for the benefit of the community and the benefit of the fair," Malerbi said.

But Smith said, "The last few years it's been so peaceful at our show. We had three good years without police."

"If the presence of law enforcement is a make or break situation for the promoter here, then unfortunately their going to have to find another venue," Malerbi said.

"We aren't going to make exceptions for a single event that has some issues."

And as for those "issues," Malerbi said, "I completely disagree with (Smith). I was here during the entire event and worked with the deputies."

Supervisor Tom Tryon, who is old friends with Smith, thought the festival was "very positive." The two went to high school together in Rio Vista.

"From some people's perspective, whenever you have a music festival and there's lots of young kids, you're going to have marijuana and those kinds of recreational festive drug issues," Tryon said. "You have drugs around here whether we have (the festival) or not. If you're going to have 5,000 young people gather for a music festival you're always going to have some illicit drug use."

InvisibleSuperD
Cacti junky
 User Gallery

Loc: The bridgesii bridge
    #4332982 - 06/24/05 05:30 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

<<But Smith said, "The last few years it's been so peaceful at our show. We had three good years without police.">>

Afuckingmen.  I just hate it when people actually have a good time in an altered state without harming anyone else in the process.  First there was the RAVE Act...what's next..the FAIR Act?  :rolleyes:

--------------------
:super:D
Manoa said:
I need to stop spending all my money on plants and take up a cheaper hobby, like heroin. :lol:

Looking for Rauhocereus riosaniensis seeds or live specimen(s), :pm: me if you have any for trade

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service