Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Injection Grain Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Fading Slowly
Male User Gallery

Loc: On the Border
Hidden Influences
    #4321546 - 06/21/05 04:54 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

I have noted that psychedelic enthusiasts, while being diverse in many ways, share also many similarities. There tends to be an environmentally friendly outlook as well as having relatively advanced views concerning interpersonal relationships and an unconventional interpretation of religion and morality. This is not a rule, but a trend that I have noted. There are also many other similarities that are too numerous to mention. Most (nearly all) of the people that I work and associate with have no idea of my views on psychedelics. Most would consider me to be the last person that they know that would be "involved with drugs". This allows me to influence others through day to day contact with what personal insights that I have gained without a bias forming against my opinion. How many people here try to integrate the insights gained from their relationship with psychedelics into their dealings with the community they live and work in?

--------------------
"A warrior is a hunter. He calculates everything. That's control. Once his calculations are over, he acts. He lets go. That's abandon. A warrior is not a leaf at the mercy of the wind. No one can push him; no one can make him do things against himself or against his better judgment. A warrior is tuned to survive, and he survives in the best of all possible fashions." ― Carlos Castaneda

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleVeritas
 User Gallery
Re: Hidden Influences [Re: Huehuecoyotl]
    #4321592 - 06/21/05 05:05 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

I live in a very psychedelic town, but I still come in to contact with many "mainstream" thinkers. I often introduce my ideas without the context of my explorations as a psychonaut. I definitely do not "blend in." !

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Fading Slowly
Male User Gallery

Re: Hidden Influences [Re: Veritas]
    #4321674 - 06/21/05 05:29 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

"I live in a very psychedelic town"

Wow...I did not know there was one. Where might that be? I do not blend in either, but it is because I am an extreme hyper-computer nerd, so I am seen as weird, but sometimes necessary to have around. I am accepted by others because I have made myself useful.

--------------------
"A warrior is a hunter. He calculates everything. That's control. Once his calculations are over, he acts. He lets go. That's abandon. A warrior is not a leaf at the mercy of the wind. No one can push him; no one can make him do things against himself or against his better judgment. A warrior is tuned to survive, and he survives in the best of all possible fashions." ― Carlos Castaneda

InvisibleVeritas
 User Gallery
    #4321705 - 06/21/05 05:37 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

I'm a computer nerd, too, but I keep it carefully hidden beneath the exterior of a mild-mannered (though odd) accounting assistant.

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Fading Slowly
Male User Gallery

#4321726 - 06/21/05 05:40 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

I have heard that before from other people...maybe I should head out that way one day and check it out...

--------------------

Edited by Veritas (12/29/08 08:49 PM)

InvisibleVeritas
 User Gallery
    #4321743 - 06/21/05 05:44 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

You've probably heard it from my partner. He posts here frequently.

Where are you?

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Fading Slowly
Male User Gallery

#4321752 - 06/21/05 05:46 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

In Kentucky...the closest thing we got to hippies around here are rednecks who, while they can be entertaining, are not psychedelically inclined. A lot of them are fundamentalist religious extremists which is irritating.

--------------------

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Fading Slowly
Male User Gallery

#4321768 - 06/21/05 05:49 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Not just here, but from a few people in my community...and when I was in the Army years back I heard it.

--------------------

InvisibleVeritas
 User Gallery
    #4321779 - 06/21/05 05:53 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Rednecks are the closest thing you have to hippies??  :rotfl:

OfflineOldWoodSpecter
waiting
Male

Loc: mountains and lakes
    #4321795 - 06/21/05 05:55 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

There can be two ways to explain it

one is the one you are suggesting (being the influence of the drugs)

the other one is that people like you have described, are more openminded toward drugs, so they experiment, and start to like phychadelics (most people do like it if they have a good first trip)

In other words, it is not that drug makes them the way they are, but the way they are makes them use the drugs

--------------------
I descend upon your earth from the skies
I command your very souls you unbelievers
Bring before me what is mine

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Fading Slowly
Male User Gallery

Re: Hidden Influences [Re: OldWoodSpecter]
    #4321907 - 06/21/05 06:21 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

"In other words, it is not that drug makes them the way they are, but the way they are makes them use the drugs"

It is give and take. Psychedelics have influenced my thinking in core ways.

--------------------

InvisibleIcelander
The Minstrel in the Gallery
Male

Loc: underbelly
    #4322026 - 06/21/05 06:50 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

I live in the same town as Veritas. I have a little different perspective on it. I would call this town New Age rather than psychedelic. Still there is a decent community of folks on the shamanic path. I am truly blown away by some of them and count a few of them as friends and sometimes teachers. You would find this a welcome respite from Kentucky Hue. I grew up in the Midwest and hung out in Kentucky a few times. I know what you're talking about. Mamoth Cave is a neat place!

I share myself pretty openly here. Many people know what my path is and they can see my crazy influences at work in my day to day. And like you I use psychedelics rarely compared to the "good ol days". I get more out of it now though as I have become more skilled their application. I choose this town because it allows me to be in an environment of open minded folks to some degree. That's more important than big bucks to me.:D

--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

OfflineOldWoodSpecter
waiting
Male

Loc: mountains and lakes
Re: Hidden Influences [Re: Icelander]
    #4322071 - 06/21/05 06:59 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

and which town is that?

--------------------
I descend upon your earth from the skies
I command your very souls you unbelievers
Bring before me what is mine

InvisibleIcelander
Male

Re: Hidden Influences [Re: OldWoodSpecter]
    #4322162 - 06/21/05 07:12 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Shan-gri-la :mushroom2:

--------------------

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Fading Slowly
Male User Gallery

#4322675 - 06/21/05 10:09 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Kentucky has some beautiful places. I am quite familiar with the national forest here and know many secluded places of almost sacred beauty, but I have never felt part of the population in a real way, though I have found a niche. Paul Stamets' books always gave me a favorable impression of the Pacific Northwest.

--------------------

InvisibleJellric
altered statesman

Loc: non-local
    #4322862 - 06/21/05 10:54 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Well around these parts, Hue, the saying goes, "Don't scare the straights." I am already controversial enough around here to bring psychedelics into the picture. To date I've had one cross burned in my yard and two mutilated fetal animals staked (one pig, one unidentified) and several eggings and one "rolling". For some reason the rolling bothered me more than the others- I don't know why. :lol:

My philosophy at this point in my life is that I only try to raise awareness in those who show me clear signs of both desire and the strength to resist the downward pull of consciousness that our entire society is based upon. [In case some of you don't realize it, our entire civilization is corrupt to the core]. You have to swim against the tide and fight against the grain all the way if you want to advance spiritually.

--------------------
I AM what Willis was talkin' bout.

InvisibleIcelander
Male

#4322901 - 06/21/05 11:07 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

"The West is the best. Get here and we'll do the rest."  Jim Morrison. :grin:

--------------------

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Fading Slowly
Male User Gallery

Re: Hidden Influences [Re: Jellric]
    #4322928 - 06/21/05 11:16 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

What did you do to get that? And where the hell is it that they have the nerve to do it? Where I live they would threaten me with eternal damnation...maybe complain to the school where I work if they were aware of my hobbies....but they wouldn't burn crosses or nothing.

--------------------

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Fading Slowly
Male User Gallery

#4322936 - 06/21/05 11:18 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Good quote...it inspired my first visit to L.A..

--------------------

InvisibleJellric
altered statesman

Loc: non-local
    #4322989 - 06/21/05 11:32 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

I live in Mississippi and do civil rights work occasionly. This state has advanced dramatically in race relations over the last few years, but there are still some old diehards remaining. But a big one was finally taken down today. Edgar Ray Killen of the film 'Mississippi Burning' infamy was convicted today on manslaughter charges for the infamous slaughter of three civil rights workers during the sixties. I had very little to do with this case, but I am thrilled that justice has finally been brought to this evil, reptilian "man".

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/2005/01/07/MNGFDAMQ1H1.DTL

--------------------
I AM what Willis was talkin' bout.

Edited by Jellric (06/22/05 12:07 AM)

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Injection Grain Bag