Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisiblefearfect
straw + dunking
    #4321193 - 06/21/05 03:00 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

I've been reading and trying to figure out why my straw bricks aren't producing as many fruits as I'd like.  I have not been dunking them prior to casing them... would this hugely impact my yield??  If so, is it possible to dunk after casing and having a flush (though small) go through??
    My problem, as mentioned in my previous post, is that I get an amazing pinset, but they don't continue growth... so I end up with tons of 1/2 inch aborts.  I'm wondering if maybe they don't have enough water. 
    When I do the straw, I pillow sack it and put it in 175F water for 1.5 - 2 hours, take it out and let it drip and cool for maybe an hour.  Once it has cooled, i mix in the grain in a tub and put a plastic sheet over it with poked holes in it.  The 6 inch deep brick usually colonizes very fast (under two weeks).  After it is colonized I mix up 50/50 coir/verm and sprinkle it lightly and evenly over the straw brick to 1-2 inches.  after a couple days it starts poking through and I initiate fruiting conditions (light 8-12 hours a day from a flourescent bulb, fan 4-8 times a day, try to drop the temp some). 

What usually happens at this point is after 5-10 days the mycellium knots up all over the place and pins start forming.  Usually there are 3-5 that start growing really fast and mature faster and bigger then everything else.  Then there are the slower ones, about 4-8 that grow to regular size.  Most all of the rest of the pins just abort.  The fruits I get are by no means extrordinarily huge, averaging 1-3 grams dry,  and with about 4-6 feet of surface area, I expect more then 20 grams dry.

I just can't figure out why my kids aren't growing :frown:  Please tell me that what I am doing wrong is not dunking and that it will fix all my problems :frown:

thanks for any insight, im really frustrated right now.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblefearfect
Re: straw + dunking [Re: fearfect]
    #4321231 - 06/21/05 03:13 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

perhaps theres contamination under the casing layer, and in the straw brick itself? This may be related to these symptoms right? I've had contam problems in the past

Offlinemockeylock
head
 User Gallery

#4321263 - 06/21/05 03:24 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Have you ever gotten a second flush before the mean green sets in?

Typically, I'd wait for at least one flush before dunking, and then you should use a 200:1 water to bleach ratio to kill any bad guys.

Also could just be the substrain. Have you tried this with different strains? You keeping the casing moist? How's the air exchange?

--------------------

Invisiblefearfect
    #4321289 - 06/21/05 03:36 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

here's some really really terrible pictures of it. The camera that I have atm is terrible for close shots.

it doesnt look as overlayed IRL. and no signs of contamination anywhere on the surface

Invisiblefearfect
Re: straw + dunking [Re: mockeylock]
    #4321298 - 06/21/05 03:38 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

I have gotten "second flushes" where a flush is a handful of mushrooms. Nothing near what I see in the grow logs. This strain is gulf coast. I have had similar problems with golden teacher and B+. Cambodian so far has given me the best results

Invisiblefearfect
    #4321321 - 06/21/05 03:47 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

stole my roomates a75.  dont know how to use it well so heres the best i could get.  this picture makes me so sad :frown: I'm going to clean off all those black heads tonight.

Again, ANY help would be GREATLY appreciated!!

edit: btw here is a picture of my cambodians a few months back

most of those little mycelium covered pins did not grow either

Edited by fearfect (06/21/05 03:54 PM)

Offlinemockeylock
head
 User Gallery

#4321453 - 06/21/05 04:23 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

If the casing's well cared for, and you have sufficient air exchange, it could also be the straw you're using. Check out rez effect:

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat...rue#Post3849313

You can get rediculous yields without having to colonize anything except the grain.

--------------------

Invisiblefearfect
Re: straw + dunking [Re: mockeylock]
    #4321480 - 06/21/05 04:32 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

thats really interesting. just grain and verm... hmmm

do you happen to know your foaf's yield on that? Did it flush multiple times?

also, after you mix the grain and the verm, you do let it colonize more don't you?

Edited by fearfect (06/21/05 04:39 PM)

Offlinemockeylock
head
 User Gallery

#4321548 - 06/21/05 04:54 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

It takes about two days to "colonize" the vermiculite.

That tub, with three quarts of WBS, was at least two oz's dry.

You will probably get a bit less, that was a great fruiting strain...but after a couple of flushes, you'll definately get a couple ounces.

I could get more out of my casings but I'm lazy about picking all the stems after a harvest and I'd rather start something fresh but you could get many flushes especially if you dunk.  I don't get more than 2 or 3, but really it's because of my laziness.... :smirk:

--------------------

Invisibledeanofmean
mycophagous

Loc: PNW
    #4321771 - 06/21/05 05:50 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

You are getting beautiful pin sets. problem is, straw just doesn't supply enough food for all that.

i suggest doubling the amount of grain spawn, or adding a supplement.
such as wheat bran, brown algae, or (god forbid) manure :grin:

Invisiblefearfect
Re: straw + dunking [Re: deanofmean]
    #4321822 - 06/21/05 06:00 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

That is what I've been thinking lately.. I've tried worm castings + straw in the past but it ended up not colonizing (probably too wet)

I think I'll try some tennessee stud, worm castings again with less water and maybe something else next batch. Are there any other vendors to sell good bulk substrate besides tennstud? I want to try several things out.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck