Home | Community | Message Board

Everything Mushrooms
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Ethnobotanical Garden

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Psychotria Viridis

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflinePsiloman
Male
Loc: Europe
Foliar Feeding : Try it on you plants!
    #4319718 - 06/21/05 07:30 AM (11 years, 5 months ago)

As most of us know the plants take their nutrients through the roots.Thats not the only entry point of nutrients though,plants can be fed through their leaves hsing foliar sprays. A foliar spray is a nutrient/fertilizer solution that can be prayed on leaves,both on the upper side and the underside where stomata reside.

So what is a foliar spray made of? Water,your nutrients,and sometimes a surfactant (read: a bit of soap) to jelp break the leaf tension for the sollution to stay on the leaf longer. I choose not to use soap,even though im foliar feeding my cactuses which because of vertical orientation its dificult to feed : water runs of pretty quickly.

What are the advantages of foliar feeding :Sources speak of 5-20 times more absorbtion of the foliar fed nutrients than the root fed ones. Keep in mind that its doesnt susbtitute common rootfeeding but supplements it.It gives a nice boost at your plants,its more economical,plus you can make your own foliar feeding sprays.You just need an atomizer (no,im not speaking nuclear physics here) which is just one of those fine mist squirt bottles!

Has it been proven? Yes it has! Using radioisotopes of phosphorous Dr H. B. Tukey has shown that it works,and if im corrent the nutrients absorbed through foliar feeding travel at about 1 foot per hour within the plant. Effects from foliar feeding can be seen in about 24-48 hours upon applying compared to 2 weeks for root feeding .

I have an idea for foliar feeding,can i supply a precursor to my plant? Quite propable. Leaves can uptake even bigger compounds than molecular elements (check here http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query...&query_hl=2 ) so it would not be unreasonable to say that one can provide precursors through the leaves, phytohormones (cytokinins) to increase their beneficial content before harvesting, even maybe sugars to supply them with extra energy for quicker growth.

Also foliar feeding has given me many thoughts : Why not in some plant to submerge a leaf or two in some nutrient solution in a glass? This could provide more contact with the leaf and through the phloem the nutrients can reach everywhre in the plant. At traveling withing the plant a foot per hour,leaving the leaf in the solution for three hours or even better overnight could help the plant stock up on nutrients or wjatever else you want it to stock up on. Adding some DMSO to this solution could also help although i dont see the reason if the uptake is nice even without it. Cacti can be difficult for "Submerging" without uprooting so one has to improvise: What if you cut the mid section of a transparent plastic bottle bottle that could fit around your cactus and then upon putting it on your cactus you plug/seal gaps on its base using blue tac or plasteline? You would just have to fix this midsection with plasteline on the cactus body and ribs so the liquid you ar going to fill it up with is not goign to leak. Then ,you just apply your solution in there! Maximum absoption or what!

Some interesting links to see

http://www.earthcrew.com/foliar.htm

http://www.ecochem.com/foliar01.html

http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qa3824/is_200303/ai_n9220413

And two nice PDF's

http://www.attra.org/attra-pub/PDF/foliar.pdf

http://www.uas-cropmaster.com/pdfs/Download_a_summary_of_that_Project.pdf (this one is a hearing of Dr Tukey in congress explaining his method and his results!)

Im waiting to hear your opinions!

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlineliveby
Wasted For Time
 User Gallery

Re: Foliar Feeding : Try it on you plants! [Re: Psiloman]
    #4319722 - 06/21/05 07:36 AM (11 years, 5 months ago)

can any water soluble fertz be used in such activities?

--------------------

http://www.bruceeisner.com/ -Creating a Sensible Culture

InvisibleFooManM
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Earth Flag
    #4319740 - 06/21/05 08:04 AM (11 years, 5 months ago)

:thumbup:

--------------------

OfflinePsiloman
Male
Re: Foliar Feeding : Try it on you plants! [Re: liveby]
    #4319779 - 06/21/05 08:38 AM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

liveby said:
can any water soluble fertz be used in such activities?

Of course! Thats the ease of this method! Every fertiliser,growth regulator,additive ,you have bought for your plants and can be dissolved in water can be used this way! I am going to go a bit wacky now,but i believe that one COULD administer tryptamine to Psychotria viridis leaves this way as well,why not? I have yet to try the full leaf submergion theory im proposing ( foliar feeding is regular practice for me ) but if you want give it a go as well and report back! In the worst of the worst cases you might just lose a leaf,big deal!

OfflineCptnGarden
fuck this site
    #4321015 - 06/21/05 04:21 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

why dont you just mist yourself with the tryptamine spray and say ah hell with the viridis :wink:

OfflinePsiloman
Male
Re: Foliar Feeding : Try it on you plants! [Re: CptnGarden]
    #4321202 - 06/21/05 05:03 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

While its good as a joke,Dr shulgin has tried tryptamine using a more immediate plus dangerous method of application ,that of IV injection

http://www.erowid.org/library/books_online/tihkal/tihkal53.shtml

Quote:

COMMENTS : (with up to 10 mg, intravenously) "There were no changes in blood pressure or self-rating scores."

(with 250 mg, intravenously) "Tryptamine was infused intravenously over a period of up to 7.5 minutes. Physical changes included an increases in blood pressure, in the amplitude of the patellar reflex, and in pupillary diameter. The subjective changes are not unlike those seen with small doses of LSD. A point-by-point comparison between the tryptamine and LSD syndromes reveals a close similarity which is consistent with the hypothesis that tryptamine and LSD have a common mode of action."

So...back to misting or submerging leaves?

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Psychotria Viridis

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Ethnobotanical Garden