Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Boomr Bag, Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisiblepatchwork
Cake-eatingDandy

Loc: The Hall of Mirrors
Composted, old horse poo
    #4319079 - 06/20/05 10:56 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

So I got some h. poo from a stable and the pile I got it from was pretty old...essentially looked like a pile of dirt. Not nuggets, not wet, just weatherworn.
I read a few threads from the archives that this is not ideal poo. Clearly, I will have to mix in some shredded straw to pasteurize it and maybe a bit of verm to soak up the excess water.
So, my question is, doesn't the horsepoo contain the same beneficial nutrients for growing nice cubies, even if it's old? The main problem with this is that it must be mixed to add the fibrous texture?
I saw several posts last night while searching for an answer stating that you want nuggets and muffins; if the nugs and muffs have broken down over time, have they lost nutrients, or just the fibrous consistency?
Planning on adding some vegetable oil and kelp meal to this batch and see what all of this does for potency.

Thanks for any help.

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblebackupwards
peon

Loc: somewhere else
Re: Composted, old horse poo [Re: patchwork]
    #4319112 - 06/20/05 11:03 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

to quote agar "Just a word to the wise, if it is composted into a dirt texture, it is to fine. You still want to see a lot of fibers in it. If it is like dirt, when you hydrate it - it turns to MUD (not a good thing)."

peace

Invisiblepatchwork
Cake-eatingDandy

Re: Composted, old horse poo [Re: backupwards]
    #4319127 - 06/20/05 11:06 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Hence supplementing with straw to add some texture, and some verm if necessary.  I'd hate to think I wasted all this effort shoveling poo in the hot afternoon and then cleaning my car afterwards went all to waste.  :mad:

--------------------

Invisiblebackupwards
peon

#4319167 - 06/20/05 11:16 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

at this point i guess all you can do is give it a shot. chop up the straw pretty well and soak it til it is saturated and then mix with the poo. you may need to add some additional water at this point to get it right on. a drop or two when you squeeze a handful of it. verm maybe, but doubt it. vegetable oil will help with colonization, maybe with potency, not sure of that one. kelp has lots of micronutes, so it could help.
well if it doesn't go well for ya, which i hope it does, i guess it is a lesson learned. gather some good aged nuggets next time and you'll have no worries.
peace

Invisiblepatchwork
Cake-eatingDandy

#4319191 - 06/20/05 11:21 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Well, up to this point, I've been using bagged composted manure from Ace.  I can't say they were as special as they could have been, but we will see.  I think I'm going to have a test of the composted material from my pile in back vs. the manure.  Both will need to be supplemented with straw for texture.  And I like to add a bit of verm to soak up some extra moisture and add more body, too. 

Well, we'll see, though.  Won't we?  :smile2:

--------------------

Invisiblebackupwards
peon

#4319200 - 06/20/05 11:22 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

hope it all works out for ya
peace

Invisiblepatchwork
Cake-eatingDandy

#4319208 - 06/20/05 11:25 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Cheers. I'm not sure how the nutrients in fresh h. poo that gets dried out then used compare to the nutes of old poo. Then again, I keep hearing people saying, "Old poo."
Some them ol' folks that have some poo history under there belts care to comment on the nutes in nuggy vs. older, gettign on to compost texture, h. poo?

Gratsie

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Boomr Bag, Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom