Home | Community | Message Board

SoulSpeciosa Kratom
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Political Discussion

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleRandalFlagg
Stranger
Conservatives Tout Anti-Hillary Book
    #4319025 - 06/21/05 12:44 AM (11 years, 5 months ago)

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050620/ap_e...DRrBHNlYwM3NjI-

Conservatives Tout Anti-Hillary Book

By MARC HUMBERT, Associated Press Writer

Mon Jun 20, 3:37 PM ET

ALBANY, N.Y. - Conservative groups are promoting a Hillary Rodham Clinton biography that hits bookstores Tuesday as a work so damning it could destroy any possible bid for the presidency in 2008.

The 305-page book, "The Truth About Hillary: What She Knew, When She Knew It, and How Far She'll Go to Become President," by Edward Klein, portrays the New York senator as a ruthless and ambitious woman who would stop at nothing to protect her husband's presidency and promote a Clinton II administration headed by her.

While promotional material from Sentinel books, a conservative imprint launched by the Penguin Group, promises a work that "contains shocking new accounts of key moments in Hillary Clinton's private and political life," the book relies heavily on earlier works about the former first lady.

"She's been written about so frequently that it's impossible not to cover some of the same ground," Klein told The Associated Press in an interview Monday. He said, however, that the book contains plenty of new material and insights.

There are 30 pages of end notes, many of which cite those previous works as grist for Klein's coverage of President Clinton's womanizing, his wife's efforts to save him from the Monica Lewinsky scandal and the prominent role the first lady played during her husband's White House years. Other sources cited by Klein are often anonymous.

The Clinton camp lashed out at the work Monday.

"We don't comment on works of fiction, let alone a book full of blatant and vicious fabrications contrived by someone who writes trash for cash," said Philippe Reines, a spokesman for the senator.

Jim Kennedy, a spokesman for former President Clinton, also called the book "trash."

Will Weisser, Sentinel's associate publisher, said 350,000 copies have been printed.

Such works, according to former Clinton adviser-turned critic Dick Morris, can backfire.

"Personal attacks on Hillary Clinton and her marriage only tend to invigorate her and permit her to characterize all criticism as extreme and personal," wrote Morris in an e-mail exchange with the AP. He added: "These personal shots obscure the more serious questions about her lack of qualifications to be a good president."

To Klein, a former editor of The New York Times Sunday Magazine and author of "The Kennedy Curse," Clinton is a sort of latter-day Richard Nixon, constantly reinventing herself.

"The comparison between Hillary Clinton and Richard Nixon can be pushed only so far," Klein writes, however. "Whereas Nixon sought power in large part to overcome his low self-esteem, Hillary seeks power because she has unrealistically high self-esteem."

But Klein does gives her credit, of a sort, for her work in the Senate.

"To the surprise of many, Hillary turned out to be more than equal to the task of winning friends on both sides of the aisle," he writes, before adding: "No one saw the other side of Hillary Clinton's face, which she kept carefully hidden behind a mask of collegiality."

"If you are a fair-minded, balanced journalist, you have to say Hillary has performed brilliantly in the last five years, and that's what makes her such a formidable politician," Klein told the AP.

The author said he expects Clinton to win easy re-election to the Senate next year, to capture the Democratic nomination for president in 2008 and to have "a real shot at winning red states" in the election.

"I think she would be, in the White House, a Nixonian president and a danger to the republic," Klein said.

The work is being touted by, among others, the Conservative Book Club, which is owned by the parent company of Regnery Publishing. Regnery produced "Unfit for Command," the book that attacked Sen. John Kerry's Vietnam War service and was written by a leader of the anti-Kerry Swift Boat Veterans.

NewsMax.com, a conservative Web site backed by Clinton critic Richard Mellon Scaife, is offering free copies of the Hillary Rodham Clinton book to those who subscribe to its NewsMax Magazine. NewsMax says "publishing insiders say the book and its revelations could destroy her bid for the presidency in 2008."

An excerpt earlier this month in the July issue of Vanity Fair drew criticism from the liberal-leaning Media Matters group, which said Klein's work contained numerous errors.

Readers will learn from the book, thanks to an interview with fifth-grade boyfriend Jim Yrigoyen, that Clinton can be one tough cookie. The old sweetheart recalled how the young Hillary Rodham had entrusted him with watching over some baby rabbits. He made the mistake of giving one to a neighbor.

"She hauled off and punched me in the nose," Yrigoyen said.

As of Monday, the book was ranked No. 18 in sales on Amazon.com.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleKingOftheThing
the cool fool
 User Gallery

Loc: USA
Re: Conservatives Tout Anti-Hillary Book [Re: RandalFlagg]
    #4319055 - 06/21/05 12:51 AM (11 years, 5 months ago)

i hope she doesnt run and im a dem...maybe as a vice

OfflineRedstorm
Prince of Bugs
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Conservatives Tout Anti-Hillary Book [Re: KingOftheThing]
    #4319076 - 06/21/05 12:55 AM (11 years, 5 months ago)

I hope to god she never runs for president.

InvisibleKingOftheThing
the cool fool
 User Gallery

Re: Conservatives Tout Anti-Hillary Book [Re: Redstorm]
    #4319229 - 06/21/05 01:30 AM (11 years, 5 months ago)

that sounds like a knee jerk wannabe conservative reaction... name me something she has done that u dont like...and answer this, is she more liberal or more center??

InvisibleDieCommie
El Guapo
    #4319241 - 06/21/05 01:34 AM (11 years, 5 months ago)

She is playing the center, if thats what you mean.

InvisibleKingOftheThing
the cool fool
 User Gallery

Re: Conservatives Tout Anti-Hillary Book [Re: DieCommie]
    #4319252 - 06/21/05 01:37 AM (11 years, 5 months ago)

yeah thats what all the conservative mouth pieces say....but bill was a centerist and not some radical... besides any move to the left from bush's far right christian neocon administration will be an improvement

OfflineJesusChrist
Son Of God
    #4319875 - 06/21/05 09:50 AM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Are any Christians good Christians? When Christians were at the forefront of the civil rights movement, was that OK? When they signed on for FDR's new deal and LBJ's great society, was that OK? When they founded the abolitionist movement to free the slaves, was that OK? What about women's sufferage? I think we can all agree they made a mistake supporting that, but you can't unring a bell.

It is amazing that all these Christians just appeared in this country, 230 years after it was founded by Christians. I think the main problem with Christians is that they started voting republican.

--------------------
Tastes just like chicken

OfflineRedstorm
Prince of Bugs
Male

Folding@home Statistics
    #4319937 - 06/21/05 10:39 AM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

KingOftheThing said:
that sounds like a knee jerk wannabe conservative reaction... name me something she has done that u dont like...and answer this, is she more liberal or more center??

You just said yourself that you don't want her to run for President. I'm a democrat, and I don't feel like wasting a vote on her. She is more towards the center, though, to answer your question.

Offlinelonestar2004
Live to party,work to affordit.
 User Gallery

Loc: South Texas
Re: Conservatives Tout Anti-Hillary Book [Re: RandalFlagg]
    #4320022 - 06/21/05 11:22 AM (11 years, 5 months ago)

I can't wait for the '08 Dem primaries...Dean vs. Kerry vs. Gore vs. Hillary.

"We're going to take things away from you on behalf of the common good."

Hillary Clinton june 2004

--------------------
America's debt problem is a "sign of leadership failure"

We have "reckless fiscal policies"

America has a debt problem and a failure of leadership.

Americans deserve better

Barack Obama

InvisibleKingOftheThing
the cool fool
 User Gallery

Re: Conservatives Tout Anti-Hillary Book [Re: JesusChrist]
    #4320281 - 06/21/05 12:34 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

JesusChrist said:
Are any Christians good Christians? When Christians were at the forefront of the civil rights movement, was that OK? When they signed on for FDR's new deal and LBJ's great society, was that OK? When they founded the abolitionist movement to free the slaves, was that OK? What about women's sufferage? I think we can all agree they made a mistake supporting that, but you can't unring a bell.

It is amazing that all these Christians just appeared in this country, 230 years after it was founded by Christians. I think the main problem with Christians is that they started voting republican.

its not christians that i hate, nor that vote exclusivley repoops......its the fucking evangevlicals, baptists the people who want to spread their will, mormons...these scum bag christians who believe things like evolution isnt real. yuck, evangelicals are shitbags who want everyone brainwashed into their garbage beliefs

InvisibleSilversoul
Rhizome
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Barricades
    #4322979 - 06/22/05 01:29 AM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

KingOftheThing said:

She's a left-wing authoritarian. She's generally in favor of legislation that will expand the size and scope of the federal government, whether it's a social program or homeland security.

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Political Discussion