Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com APE Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinemahookah
journeyman
Loc: NV
What is better? (innoc. ques)
    #427048 - 10/16/01 02:41 AM (22 years, 5 months ago)

A foaf has one 1/2 pt. fully colonized cake left over that he wants to use as innoculant for bird seed jars. Instead of going through all the trouble of making a mycelium syringe, couldn't he just crumble the cakes into the jars in a glovebox and shake? What are the advantages of making a syringe? Also, he will be innoculating some honey water for future refrence, so could he use the crumbled cake method for that too? I was thinking it would work pretty well if soaked in h2o2 first. Any suggestions? Thanx forumites.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinesylo
addict
Re: What is better? (innoc. ques) [Re: mahookah]
    #427076 - 10/16/01 04:24 AM (22 years, 5 months ago)

Crumble the cakes. There is no advantage to (or easy way of) making a syringe from cake.

Offlinemahookah
journeyman
Re: What is better? (innoc. ques) [Re: sylo]
    #427138 - 10/16/01 07:44 AM (22 years, 5 months ago)

Thanx, sylo. Have you ever tried crumbling a cake into honeywater? I wonder what would happen if my foaf just dropped one or two small chunks in there without completely crumbling the cake? Last time a foaf tried making a mycellium syringe out of a crumbled brf/verm cake it made quite a dirty mess in there with all of the vermiculite.

InvisibleFungusFarmer
old hand

#427151 - 10/16/01 08:08 AM (22 years, 5 months ago)

You can innoc with a cake, but not if you have a Ramsey Seal or a dry verm layer in your jars

Take a very clean spoon, gouge out a piece of colonized cake, submerge briefly in h202, then place on top of PC'd substrate in another jar. Just make sure you're very sterile

Grover

--------------------
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=- "What did you dream...it's all right we told you what to dream! Welcome, my son, to The Machine" Roger Waters, Pink Floyd

Offlinemahookah
journeyman
Re: What is better? (innoc. ques) [Re: FungusFarmer]
    #427163 - 10/16/01 08:52 AM (22 years, 5 months ago)

Yes, he has a Ramsey seal, but that should be no problem. Just lift out the tinfoil with the verm. on top and dump in the crumbled cake and replace. Of course my foaf would only attempt this in a glove box. What do you think? Also, he's gonna try this with honey water also.

InvisibleFungusFarmer
old hand

#427220 - 10/16/01 10:20 AM (22 years, 5 months ago)

I've seen both work (chunk o' cake and honey) and I would recommend honey water becuase....

1) You can use a needle and be very sterile during innoc.

2) You get all the benefits of chunk o' cake (almost no wait time before you see growth, fast colonization time) without having to dick around with opening the ramsey seal.

Honey water is some kickass shit in my opinion, I've never had any problems with it though I've heard of several people getting contams if they weren't careful

Put 1 Tbs of honey into a 1/2 pint jar, fill 2/3 or so with water, cover with seran wrap and rubber band. Poke a few holes in seran wrap, nuke for about 5 minutes (so the water is boiling for a few minutes.) When it's done nuking, let the water stop boiling and immediately cover with another piece of Seran Wrap held in place by another rubber band (this is to cover up the holes and ensure sterility.) Let the whole thing cool for a few hours. Then, inject 2cc of spores through the Seran Wrap, then immediately cover with a third layer of Seran Wrap held in place by rubber band (once again, this will cover the hole from the needle and ensure sterility)

Let this sit for a week or so. The water will start to get cloudy, give it another few days until you see white balls floating in there. Suck those into a syringe, and inject like normal. Just be sure there is mycelium in the syringe, noting sucks worse than injecting plain water.

You'll see growth within 12 hours or so, although it may look weird and gray, just go with it. It'll look like cobweb for a few days, then turn right into pure white mycelium. Apparently it takes a few days for things to get used to growing in a solid

Since things start off so fast, you have little chance of growing contams at the innoc site

Grover

--------------------
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=- "What did you dream...it's all right we told you what to dream! Welcome, my son, to The Machine" Roger Waters, Pink Floyd

InvisibleSlattMoan

#427350 - 10/16/01 12:50 PM (22 years, 5 months ago)

thanx for posting that FungusFarmer... i was just about to go searching... i'll let ya know how it goes.

also, i don't have any syringes prepared at the moment and i've only got 1 PR print about the size of a dime. could i just scrape some spores directly into the solution or do you think contamination is too likely?

Offlineshellacct
addict

Loc: BAD DOG!
    #427383 - 10/16/01 01:21 PM (22 years, 5 months ago)

yup.... tahts the way to do it... i just wanna put in my .02 and stress that VERY sterile technique is essential, and you may consider even STERILIZING the spoon... just my .02

later

--------------------
"Trying is the first step towards failure" -Homer J. Simpson

In the above, Any and all references to reality are entirely fictional.

InvisibleFungusFarmer
old hand

Re: What is better? (innoc. ques) [Re: SlattMoan]
    #427732 - 10/16/01 07:07 PM (22 years, 5 months ago)

You're perfectly welcome SlattMoan, I just love Honey Water as it's worked out so well for my pet monkey (who starred in Apes A Popin, homer simpsons fav movie). It's slow at the beginning, but once you get a syringe full of mycelium the process moves a lot faster than spores.

I would use something easy to keep very sterile, like a syringe needle or fork tine, to scrape the spores into the jar. Use the old standy of dipping on alcohol and flaming it off to keep it sterile, and keeping the honey water jar as closed as possible (just lift a tiny corner.) and you should have no problem.

If all goes planned, you can keep using that honey jar over and over again: suck some mycelium out but leave a little bit, come back a week or two later and the jar is full of mycelium again. Keep at this till the water is all gone and you've gotten 4-5 syringes for the price of 2-4 cc's of spores :)

Grover

--------------------

InvisibleSlattMoan

#431729 - 10/20/01 07:14 PM (22 years, 5 months ago)

my mother's uncle's cousin's pet iguana got ahold of the print out of the honey-water instructions and began work immediately. she asked me to come on back and ask when she should dig up the jars that were prepared with the honey/water/spores to find some mycelial growth. as she gets quite anxious... thanx for the feedback F...F... greatly appreciated.

Offlineroykinn
enthusiast

#431753 - 10/20/01 07:43 PM (22 years, 5 months ago)

Fungus Farmer- do you fill the whole syringe with the mycelium water, if so, if I have some left over in the syringe, could I keep it? Save it possibly inside the syringe?

--------------------
"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline- It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nunclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer." -Frank Zappa

Offlinemahookah
journeyman
    #431832 - 10/20/01 09:43 PM (22 years, 5 months ago)

Hey, nice to see my old post again. By the way, I still haven't gotten an answer in regards to my other question yet. That being: If done in a glovebox, can a chunk of fully colonized brf or birdseed cake just be dropped inside the honeywater or does it need to be crumbled and sucked up in a syringe and then innoculated into the honeywater?

Offlinetchyted
miestro
Loc: WA near seattle
    #431946 - 10/20/01 11:35 PM (22 years, 5 months ago)

it may be best to blend up your chunk of cake in honey water in a mason jar, using an oster blender, which happens to have a mason jar thread on the base of the pitcher. this way you don't risk contam in dumping from pitcher to jar.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com APE Liquid Culture For Sale