Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineGatorB
Stranger
Loc: Southeast Tennessee
Air Exchange - Will this Work? [diagram]
    #4317759 - 06/20/05 04:36 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

I'm looking for a way to maintain a good flow of air exchange in my tub terrarium. I read this on someone's post, so I drew up a diagram to get the experts' opinions on this.

Edited by GatorB (06/20/05 04:38 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineWronguy
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Air Exchange - Will this Work? [diagram] [Re: GatorB]
    #4317783 - 06/20/05 04:40 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

That would most definitely work. Placing the fan on a timer would eliminate any concerns for drying out the casing layer. The poly-fill may also aid in CO2 expulsion, not just fresh air exchange.

If your room has good air circulation, the fan may not even be required.

I'm not an expert by any means, so sorry if my opinion is not a welcome one.

OfflineMych
Stranger

Re: Air Exchange - Will this Work? [diagram] [Re: Wronguy]
    #4317795 - 06/20/05 04:44 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

eh.. i doubt you are going to be giving the kind of pressure needed to push through the polyfill.

OfflineGatorB
Stranger
Re: Air Exchange - Will this Work? [diagram] [Re: Mych]
    #4317809 - 06/20/05 04:47 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Mych said:
eh.. i doubt you are going to be giving the kind of pressure needed to push through the polyfill.

Even if I make the holes at least an inch in circumfrence?

Offlinepcubmycol
flattiefisherman

Loc: Selectively breeding the ...
    #4317816 - 06/20/05 04:47 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

I read something in a thread a while back that said not to point the fan directly at the tub for the reason of the casing layer drying out. all you need is good circulation so point at an angle on a wall or something i would assume.

--------------------
weretheshit.com is the shit!

:-D

OfflineMych
Stranger

#4317827 - 06/20/05 04:49 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

GatorB said:
Quote:

Mych said:

Even if I make the holes at least an inch in circumfrence?

try it. put like, some insence inside near the "intake" holes and watch how the smoke will go untouched.

you have no method of directing the air into those holes, its just going to go around the entire tub.

InvisibleShaw

#4317842 - 06/20/05 04:53 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

eh, dunno. the polyfill holes themselves would provide some circulation. I'd prolly get a cheap fishtank pump and pump air in. just an idea. possibly rig some kinda filter for it. just an idea.

--------------------

OfflineWronguy
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Air Exchange - Will this Work? [diagram] [Re: pcubmycol]
    #4317857 - 06/20/05 04:56 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

pcubmycol said:
I read something in a thread a while back that said not to point the fan directly at the tub for the reason of the casing layer drying out. all you need is good circulation so point at an angle on a wall or something i would assume.

That would be me. I have personal experience with drying out my casing layer and cracking my mushroom caps from pointing the fan directly at the tub. Let me qualify that by saying the fan was over 3 feet away and is only 4 inches in diameter.

The poly-fill works people. Just as mushrooms grow in the wild, with and without a breeze, circulating air in a room will provide air exchange. If it wasn't for contaminates we would all be growing in open air.

Offlinelemunhed
The hustler'shustler

Loc: Ur moms house
Re: Air Exchange - Will this Work? [diagram] [Re: Shaw]
    #4317869 - 06/20/05 04:58 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

I think having a coolmist humidifier is alot more simple than this idea, but at the same time there is alot of potential. I don't think with polyfill there would be any issue of drying out your casing layer, and i bet a certain amount of diffuse air would travel through to the mushies. Think about the double tub tek, you can't even notice the air flow, the pressure differential caused by the different densities of c02 and 02 is much less pressure than that of a fan... you might have yourself a good idea.

--------------------
You're pompeius, aren't you? I'll make a pompeian of you unless you hold your toungue!

-Tiberius Claudius Nero

OfflineMych
Stranger

#4317926 - 06/20/05 05:13 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Wronguy said:
Quote:

pcubmycol said:

That would be me. I have personal experience with drying out my casing layer and cracking my mushroom caps from pointing the fan directly at the tub. Let me qualify that by saying the fan was over 3 feet away and is only 4 inches in diameter.

The poly-fill works people. Just as mushrooms grow in the wild, with and without a breeze, circulating air in a room will provide air exchange. If it wasn't for contaminates we would all be growing in open air.

what was your method of filtration on the tub? my guess is that your filters were happy to keep wicking out water for the fan to evaporate... i dont think you actually had enough air exchange going on in there to cause the drying itself.

OfflineWronguy
Trusted Cultivator
    #4317942 - 06/20/05 05:19 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

That was not the case, I can assure you. My poly-fill has always been bone dry. My casing layer didn't suffer near as much as my maturing mushrooms did. The mushrooms were close to the top of the container, where the fan was blowing air, and that's why they cracked.

I still had some condensation on the sides of my container and see-through lid, but it would diminish if I left the fan blowing at the container. As soon as I removed it, the condensation would build back up.

Deductive logic indicates that a fan pointing directly at a container with poly-fill, will disturb the environment if left on for extended periods of time.

Offlinepcubmycol
flattiefisherman

Loc: Selectively breeding the ...
    #4317962 - 06/20/05 05:24 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Wronguy said:
That was not the case, I can assure you. My poly-fill has always been bone dry. My casing layer didn't suffer near as much as my maturing mushrooms did. The mushrooms were close to the top of the container, where the fan was blowing air, and that's why they cracked.

I still had some condensation on the sides of my container and see-through lid, but it would diminish if I left the fan blowing at the container. As soon as I removed it, the condensation would build back up.

Deductive logic indicates that a fan pointing directly at a container with poly-fill, will disturb the environment if left on for extended periods of time.

there ya go  :thumbup: :thumbup:

--------------------
weretheshit.com is the shit!

:-D

OfflineGatorB
Stranger
    #4318088 - 06/20/05 05:46 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

I just realized I have a vent indirectly above my tub in my ceiling. This I'm sure will provide ample air movement in lieu of a fan, as I keep the AC on.

OfflineMych
Stranger

#4318119 - 06/20/05 05:57 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Wronguy said:

deductive logic would indicate that polyfill sitting half inside a container with condensation all over the walls is far from bone dry

OfflineWronguy
Trusted Cultivator
    #4318154 - 06/20/05 06:11 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Point taken, but it doesn't change the fact that the fan is drying out the container, resulting in passage of fresh air. I actually have some grows going right now using this type of application, so I think I would know if the poly-fill was not allowing fresh air exchange. Perhaps your experience is different.

I really don't want to argue with you Mych. I am just speaking from personal experience.

Offlinethremix
Big Spender

Loc: Temple of Boom
    #4318677 - 06/20/05 09:02 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

where could I find the poly fill? I know wal-mart, but where?

--------------------
http://www.gainesvilleps.org/

Dale Carnegie, once said that he never needed to know any thing about any thing because he knew EVERY thing. Any time he didn't know some thing, he asked, he asked his team, his friends, And most important he asked the person that would know the answer.

InvisibleHolydiver
Stranger
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: The midnight sea
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Air Exchange - Will this Work? [diagram] [Re: thremix]
    #4318698 - 06/20/05 09:11 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

thremix said:

Yep, craft section of Walmart sells big 20 OZ. bags of Poly fill for $3.00 <--Lifetime supply right there.

--------------------
To find a place to live between the negatives and positives.

OfflineIGnosticAbhorI
Stranger-er

Re: Air Exchange - Will this Work? [diagram] [Re: thremix]
    #4318713 - 06/20/05 09:15 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

You have to be kidding me.

Hey mych, love your posts, But I'd have to agree with Aug7.

He knows his shit.

Quote:

No circulation is even required.

If you place everything correctly then most c02 should "fall" to the bottom of the terrium..Build up...but before it reaches the casing it'll fall out of the polyfil holes.

Co2 is heavier than o2 btw...

Polyfil works and Aug7's grow show that it works for me.

Everything doesn't work for everyone 100%...Do to many things...

It'll work, if you do everything correctly.

Good luck.

Tc

-Gnostic

OfflineIGnosticAbhorI
Stranger-er

Re: Air Exchange - Will this Work? [diagram] [Re: Holydiver]
    #4318722 - 06/20/05 09:18 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Diver said:
Quote:

thremix said:

Yep, craft section of Walmart sells big 20 OZ. bags of Poly fill for $3.00  <--Lifetime supply right there.

Yea...I bought a bag in like...january...still using it...haha..

I bought 3 bags :rolleyes:

-Gnostic

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies