Home | Community | Message Board

RVF Garden Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Agar, Paul Stamets

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinelemunhed
The hustler'shustler

Loc: Ur moms house
Most Common Casing Conundrums, how colonized should it be?
    #4317925 - 06/20/05 07:13 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

I was poking through the forums and reading some of the archives, as well as TMC excerpts on the boards, and was surprised to hear alot of people saying that they put their casings in the fruiting chamber THE SECOND they see any mycelium. I always thought you should see mycelium on the surface. I was also reading hyphae's post in the cultivation archives, which say that after you see any mycelium poking through the surface one should patch the casings and then immediately put them into the fruiting chamber. I thought you had to patch and then wait for valleys to be evenly colonized and see the mycelium "poking through". Should my friend just take his casings out (which are almost poking through) and jam them in the terrarium even if he can't see any mycelium poking through? He doesn't want to mess up his pinset by fruiting too early.

--------------------
You're pompeius, aren't you? I'll make a pompeian of you unless you hold your toungue!

-Tiberius Claudius Nero

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisibleagar
old hand
 User Gallery

Loc: Somewhere Else
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Most Common Casing Conundrums, how colonized should it be? [Re: lemunhed]
    #4318244 - 06/20/05 08:47 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

I tend to over incubate substrates. But, that is my preferance for more incubation - than less.

Casing & when to expose it to pinning conditions is somewhat of an art, over any by the book method.

Exposing a cased substrate to pinning conditions, the moment it is cased - most often will get you pins around thev edges of the casing, as the micro-climate there is usualy better than the center of a tray.

I case, reincubate for a few days without exposure to pinning conditions, then expose it. Once I have myc showing, if any particular area - or spot of myc exposure is heavy, I patch it.

Then - just go from there.

LOL, ya wanna talk about rhizo.

--------------------

Offlinelemunhed
The hustler'shustler

Loc: Ur moms house
Re: Most Common Casing Conundrums, how colonized should it be? [Re: agar]
    #4318751 - 06/20/05 11:28 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

That is some DAMN agressive growth agar, I would expect nothing less. What my friend has been doing is letting the layer get colonized maybe ... 80% of the way and then fruiting. He thinks he will stick mostly to the same strategy but put it in when he sees perhaps 50% of the valleys colonized... somewhere in the middle is usually the best route.

--------------------
You're pompeius, aren't you? I'll make a pompeian of you unless you hold your toungue!

-Tiberius Claudius Nero

OfflineKalix
'Head

Re: Most Common Casing Conundrums, how colonized should it be? [Re: agar]
    #4318796 - 06/20/05 11:38 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

agar said:

Exposing a cased substrate to pinning conditions, the moment it is cased - most often will get you pins around thev edges of the casing, as the micro-climate there is usualy better than the center of a tray.

I case, reincubate for a few days without exposure to pinning conditions, then expose it. Once I have myc showing, if any particular area - or spot of myc exposure is heavy, I patch it.

Then - just go from there.

LOL, ya wanna talk about rhizo.

Boy did I learn that the hard way...  :rolleyes:

--------------------

My Unitarian Jihad Name is: The Shotgun of Sweet Reason

OfflineKalix
'Head

Re: Most Common Casing Conundrums, how colonized should it be? [Re: Kalix]
    #4318804 - 06/20/05 11:39 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

My first 5-6 flushes only grew pins on the sides.. I shoulda listened to agar earlier.. This flush is pretty awesome, but I still definetely have not mastered the even pinset!

--------------------

My Unitarian Jihad Name is: The Shotgun of Sweet Reason

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Agar, Paul Stamets

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation