Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offline_OttO_
Over Stimulated
 User Gallery

Loc: Up Over
ID Help - two shrooms, is one a shaggy mane?
    #4316480 - 06/20/05 09:25 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

I found a cluster of tall mushrooms growing on the side of the road out of a newly laid peice of lawn in Perth, Western Australia. The older ones were going black and almost 'disintergrating'. The stems were hollow and the whole mushroom was very fragile. They look like the ones from post number #1488815 halfway down this thread talking about shaggy manes(Coprinus comatus):

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/1488695/page//fpart/1/vc/1

And it said this: (Quote)

shaggy manes have a substance like a natural disulfram (i think that's the right spelling) which is the ingredient of antabuse, the anti-alcoholic medication. So you only eat the young specimens - before the cap turns black - and no alcohol for a while before ingestion and after.

This is very intriguiing, can anyone tell me more about the benefits of this mushroom?

Here are the pics of what I found-

Do they look like they could be shaggy manes?

I also found these growing on cow dung on the edge of a pine forest that had been recently felled and was wondering If they could be Pan Subs -

Didnt take prints of either unfortunately. Found this too, didnt get a good look at it but it was the size of a dinner plate:

Thanx

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinepluteus
level-9 deviant

Loc: London area, UK
Re: ID Help - two shrooms, is one a shaggy mane? [Re: _OttO_]
    #4316726 - 06/20/05 11:06 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Those shrooms at the top do look like shaggy manes.

But there is no problem consuming shaggy manes with alcohol - that thread you refer to is mistaken. Shaggy manes do not contain an antabuse-like compound and may be washed down with many a lashing of ale or whatever.

The coprinoid mushrooms to avoid if you are alcohol-thirsty are C. atramentarius and allies. This group belongs to a lineage of mushrooms that is actually only very distantly related to the shaggy mane, and for that reason in 2001 was moved to its own genus, Coprinopsis. There has been a lot of resistance to this move (but not because people dispute the unrelatedness of these groups). Thus the shaggy mane remains Coprinus comatus while virtually all other coprinoid mushrooms were segregated to Coprinopsis, Coprinellus (e.g. Coprinellus micaceus), and Parasola, perhaps prematurely.

You asked to hear more about the benefits of shaggy manes: well, the young ones are very tasty. They also have a cool yarn-like detachable cord running down the middle of their hollow stem.

InvisibleGGreatOne234
Stranger
    #4316765 - 06/20/05 11:18 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

those are not Panaeolus subbalteatus.
they are probably Panaeolus papilionaceus.

OfflineLaineRB
Garden Heir
 User Gallery

Loc: New Mexico
    #4317200 - 06/20/05 01:43 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

The last one is probably an agaricus of some sort possibly even The Prince. Did is smell like anise or almonds? If so you should have brought it home and served it on your plate.

InvisibleGumby
Fishnologist
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
Re: ID Help - two shrooms, is one a shaggy mane? [Re: GGreatOne234]
    #4318192 - 06/20/05 06:24 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

I agree with GG. Something Inactive. Pan papilionaceus or sphinctrus sounds like a good bet.

Offline_OttO_
Over Stimulated
 User Gallery

Re: ID Help - two shrooms, is one a shaggy mane? [Re: LaineRB]
    #4318487 - 06/20/05 08:04 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

LaineRB said:
The last one is probably an agaricus of some sort possibly even The Prince. Did is smell like anise or almonds? If so you should have brought it home and served it on your plate.

I wish I had a closer look, but I know almost nothing about edibles...... the bag next to it is filled with actives and we were on our way out of the patch, so wasnt hanging around but stopped for a quick picture. Im bored of picking actives and want to branch out to edibles but I never feel safe id'ing even from a book - need someone there to verify 100%. So if anyone comes to Western Aus and wants to hunt edibles, give me a shout!

Cheers guys for all the help. :thumbup:

OfflineCptnGarden
fuck this site
    #4318656 - 06/20/05 08:57 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

no your absolutely wrong that is not agaricus augustus, infact that looks absolutely nothing like the agaricus augustus...

:craven:

InvisibleBi0TeK
elephant man

Loc: Yorkshire Moors, Great Br...
    #4318681 - 06/20/05 09:03 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

_OttO_ said:
Im bored of picking actives and want to branch out to edibles but I never feel safe id'ing even from a book - need someone there to verify 100%

Organised forays are a good start. I'm sure there are some in your local area  :smile:

--------------------

--------------------
PROMOTE BACTERIA. THEY'RE THE ONLY CULTURE SOME PEOPLE HAVE.

Offline_OttO_
Over Stimulated
 User Gallery

Re: ID Help - two shrooms, is one a shaggy mane? [Re: Bi0TeK]
    #4318786 - 06/20/05 09:35 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Cheers Biotek, I'll look into it!

Happy Hunting

InvisibleGumby
Fishnologist
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
Re: ID Help - two shrooms, is one a shaggy mane? [Re: CptnGarden]
    #4318825 - 06/20/05 09:45 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

I think he's right on with the Agaricus part of the ID, but I agree, not augustus.

The first ones do seem to be "Shaggy manes," although they're not very shaggy/scaly. Perhaps the rain got the best of them. Either way, when you're picking those for food you typically want to pick them before the gills turn dark, aka before they start producing spores and decomposing.

Offline_OttO_
Over Stimulated
 User Gallery

Re: ID Help - two shrooms, is one a shaggy mane? [Re: Gumby]
    #4318844 - 06/20/05 09:50 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Is there any poison shrooms that could be confused with Shaggy Manes that I should look out for? Im going to see today if that patch is still fruiting. But yeah - that is exactly what I was thinking too, they didnt have any scales......

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
    #4318868 - 06/20/05 09:57 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Yes. There are several poisonous species of Coprinus, and Coprinus picaceus stands out as one that could be mistaken by a novice for a Shaggy Mane. There are several species besides that one that are similar.

As far as others, it depends critically on your level of expertise. After all, people have mistaken Chlorophyllum molybdites for Psilocybe cubensis, two mushrooms I would say don't look much alike at all.

Happy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

InvisibleGumby
Fishnologist
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
Re: ID Help - two shrooms, is one a shaggy mane? [Re: ToxicMan]
    #4319144 - 06/20/05 11:10 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

I wasn't aware of Coprinus that were toxic on their own. I know several Coprinus are toxic along with consumption of alcohol. Good information ToxicMan.

What kind of toxins are in Coprinus species (if they've been identified)?

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
Re: ID Help - two shrooms, is one a shaggy mane? [Re: Gumby]
    #4319504 - 06/21/05 12:48 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

The toxins haven't been identified, as far as I know. The majority of poisonous Coprinus species cause gastric upset, a nice way to say vomiting, stomach cramps, and diarrhea.

Happy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

Offline_OttO_
Over Stimulated
 User Gallery

#4319597 - 06/21/05 02:01 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

ToxicMan said:
The toxins haven't been identified, as far as I know. The majority of poisonous Coprinus species cause gastric upset, a nice way to say vomiting, stomach cramps, and diarrhea.

Happy mushrooming!

So the main thing is, if I ate one that I was sure was a shaggy mane but it actually wasn't, the worst that would happen is and upset stomach? I wouldnt eat one until I was 99.9% sure but there still is that outside chance.....

OfflineLysergic_Milkman
Dr. Fist
Male

Loc: ATL
    #4321226 - 06/21/05 03:11 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Shaggymanes are not hard to ID at all, just dont get the "Wishful Thinking Syndrome", if ya know what i mean. What you have there appears to be Coprinus Atramentarius (the one that contains the "anti-alchoholic" agent). Coprinus picaceus is also sometimes [rarely] confused with Coprinus comatus.

OfflineLysergic_Milkman
Dr. Fist
Male

Loc: ATL
Re: ID Help - two shrooms, is one a shaggy mane? [Re: Lysergic_Milkman]
    #4321296 - 06/21/05 03:38 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

And I agree with Ggreatone and Gumby, the other shrooms are Panaeolus papilionaceus.

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #4323372 - 06/22/05 12:36 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Do keep in mind that when I describe a mushroom's symptoms as "gastric upset" that some people who have eaten them get sick enough to go to the emergency room. Considering how expensive that is and how much fun you get to have there you have to be pretty sick to go.

Happy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

Offline_OttO_
Over Stimulated
 User Gallery

#4323909 - 06/22/05 07:28 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

I did go pack to the ptach in order to get a better ID and someone had lawnmowed it so bummer. But thanx again for all the helpful input.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck