Home | Community | Message Board

The Best Salvia
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Wild Bird Seed

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineEternal1999
Stranger

Loc: 72574
Just a Few General Questions
    #4315879 - 06/20/05 03:28 AM (12 years, 8 days ago)

OK, well im about to order spores and try to start growing.  Just had a few questions...:regularshroom:

1.  In a 20 cc syringe, approx. how many grams of mushrooms (wet) will I get?  On average.

2.  Is contamination usually much of a problem if u are clean and follow tha rules?  If a beginner were to try to cultivate say, 6 jars,  how many would he be likely to lose to contamination?

Thank you all and wish me luck.. Im sure Ill be posting more questions in tha following weeks.  Or months.

:bow:

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineCLUTCH
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Re: Just a Few General Questions [Re: Eternal1999]
    #4315969 - 06/20/05 03:57 AM (12 years, 8 days ago)

1. The answer to this varies. -a lot. Look into LC- Liquid CCulture to get the most out of one syringe. Generally you use 1 cc per jar. If you take one cc and make an LC out of it, you can make Many syringes off of that LC. Read up on that for sure. It's easy to do.

2. It's hard to say how many jars you would lose, but I would say go for the PF TEK. Use PF TEK for simple minds. If you follow it by a T and practice sterile techniques when you inoculate, your chances of getting contams using the PF is VERY slim.

Hope this helped. GOOD LUCK

Edited by CLUTCH (06/20/05 04:02 AM)

Offlinehawksapprentice
Yearns to Snowboard
 User Gallery

Loc: Oregon
    #4315990 - 06/20/05 04:01 AM (12 years, 8 days ago)

For one, there is absolutley no way to determine how much you are going to yeild out of a 20 cc syringe. Technically you could get hundreds if not thousands of pounds out of it. But that would getting into Liquid cultures. It also depends on how your growing the mushrooms, i.e. BRF cakes, Grains, Poo. Wether you case or not, if you dunked your cakes. As you can see there are just way too many variables to give you an awnser on that.

Secondly, expect to see contamination at some point in your growin experience. Anyone that tells you they NEVER have contams is lying. Being sterile is very important in this hobby. So there is no way to say what percentage of jars are going to be contaminated. Just do your best to be as clean and sterile as possible and you will succeed at some point. If your first attempt at growing fails, dont get too frustrated, try again. It takes practice for some to get this down. Good luck man. And most of all have fun with this.

--------------------
"I celebrate the Earth, my home, my mother, my grave, and as long as men are Man they must, if they would preserve the integrated being, do the same---[and preserve]--this rank casual hungry smelly sweaty lusting transitory body, my oozy pulpy liquid-bag-swollen body, bones, blood, hair glands, my bejeweled sex; I love and celebrate it all.  never to let men forget that they are animals as much as gods---that is one thing I shall say."

Edward Abbey

Offlinehawksapprentice
Yearns to Snowboard
 User Gallery

Re: Just a Few General Questions [Re: hawksapprentice]
    #4315995 - 06/20/05 04:02 AM (12 years, 8 days ago)

damn, got it before i could.

--------------------
"I celebrate the Earth, my home, my mother, my grave, and as long as men are Man they must, if they would preserve the integrated being, do the same---[and preserve]--this rank casual hungry smelly sweaty lusting transitory body, my oozy pulpy liquid-bag-swollen body, bones, blood, hair glands, my bejeweled sex; I love and celebrate it all.  never to let men forget that they are animals as much as gods---that is one thing I shall say."

Edward Abbey

OfflineEternal1999
Stranger

#4316010 - 06/20/05 04:08 AM (12 years, 8 days ago)

Hey,
Was planning on using PF TEK for simple minds, and dunking as much as possible.

Can I expect to get like ... 50 grams ... or 500? I dont have any idea what I should expect.

--------------------
hkgm

OfflineCLUTCH
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#4316016 - 06/20/05 04:11 AM (12 years, 8 days ago)

yea, but you had some good info that I missed as well.

Don't worry about the contams as hawksap says. It's just part of the nature. I didn't have any contams with my PF cakes, but I keep seeing black mold in small amounts on my WBS jars.

OfflineCLUTCH
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#4316018 - 06/20/05 04:13 AM (12 years, 8 days ago)

Just off of one cake you will only see 0-7 grams. maybe more, but doubtful. This is dry grams btw.

Look into casing if you want more. But if you are worried about contams be aware that you can kill the whole project if you get a contam. Where as doing cakes, you should only lose that one cake.

Offlinehawksapprentice
Yearns to Snowboard
 User Gallery

#4316020 - 06/20/05 04:15 AM (12 years, 8 days ago)

There really is no way to tell you how much your going to get. I could lie and make up a number to feed you, but what would be the point in that but to get your expectations up only to be dissapointed if you dont get that much or get contams. I would suggest a dunk and roll by the way if your looking to increase yield.

--------------------

Edward Abbey

OfflineEternal1999
Stranger

Re: Just a Few General Questions [Re: CLUTCH]
    #4316021 - 06/20/05 04:16 AM (12 years, 8 days ago)

Think im gonna stick to cakes this first time... Want this to be as simple as possible.

--------------------
hkgm

OfflineEternal1999
Stranger

#4316022 - 06/20/05 04:17 AM (12 years, 8 days ago)

Is a dunk and roll tha same thing as a dunk?

--------------------
hkgm

OfflineCLUTCH
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#4316023 - 06/20/05 04:18 AM (12 years, 8 days ago)

Yea, that is a good idea. If you are sucessful, case some cakes the next time. You will get a better Yield.

Good luck.

Offlinehawksapprentice
Yearns to Snowboard
 User Gallery

#4316032 - 06/20/05 04:20 AM (12 years, 8 days ago)

0-7 grams would be average for what size of cake?? I have significantly higher yields from PF cakes before. But that was with some experience.

--------------------

Edward Abbey

OfflineEternal1999
Stranger

#4316057 - 06/20/05 04:28 AM (12 years, 8 days ago)

Ok so, 20cc's would be enough mushrooms to last one person for a while? I dont want to be doing all this work for nothing. And I dont think I will be. But first things first, I still have to get tha spores.

--------------------
hkgm

Invisibleagar
old hand
 User Gallery

Loc: Somewhere Else
Trusted Cultivator
    #4316089 - 06/20/05 04:43 AM (12 years, 8 days ago)

There are to many varibles to answer you Q's.

A spore syringe could be the parent of 5000 lbs of shrooms.

--------------------

Offlinehawksapprentice
Yearns to Snowboard
 User Gallery

Re: Just a Few General Questions [Re: agar]
    #4316105 - 06/20/05 05:00 AM (12 years, 8 days ago)

I think that was already said.

--------------------

Edward Abbey

OfflineCLUTCH
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#4316168 - 06/20/05 06:47 AM (12 years, 7 days ago)

Quote:

hawksapprentice said:
0-7 grams would be average for what size of cake?? I have significantly higher yields from PF cakes before. But that was with some experience.

Well, I meant that HE might only see 7 grams DRY off one cake his first time. If more than that, I'd consider him pretty lucky being a first grow. I mean it could happen, but I was really trying to give him a ballpark which is actually a lot lower than what he presumed saying 50 or 500 grams. lol

If you really want to make this syringe go far, do as many has suggested in this post and check out LC's. Also, a tip for you.

ETERNAL1999-
I see a lot of first timers that accidentally squirt too much into their jars. The pluger just takes off with a mind of its own. This is about the easiest way you can waste those precious little spores. Be sure to do it slow and steady and only 1 cc per JAR.

Offlinelardnar
Pu Pu Platter
Male

Loc: Behind what appears
    #4316418 - 06/20/05 10:53 AM (12 years, 7 days ago)

To better control how much you let out of the syringe spin the plunger handle with a little downward force, it will let out MUCH slower. With pressing it strait down you have to overcome the static friction force but are then still applying that much force once you move the plunger and usually let too much out. A notch and a quarter on standard 5 notch per cc syringe is all you need per hole

--------------------
If your soul is sence this life is lost ...

OfflineEternal1999
Stranger

Re: Just a Few General Questions [Re: lardnar]
    #4319302 - 06/21/05 01:47 AM (12 years, 7 days ago)

Thanks ... will let you all know how it turns out.

--------------------
hkgm

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Wild Bird Seed

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation