Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Rye Grain, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinemahookah
journeyman
Loc: NV
Couple bird seed questions
    #431407 - 10/20/01 02:29 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Hello, my ex-girlfriend has alot of bird seed jars colonizing right now in the closet, and she was wondering how to speed up the process. Thai KS and Equador, innoculated 9 days ago. The thing is that the first 4-5 days (crumbled cake innoc. into 1 pt. jars) showed really aggressive growth, but now that the top inch or two is colonized, seems really slow growing down towards the bottom of the jars. She used the Ramsey seal method with tinfoil seperating the verm from the substrate and another layer of tinfoil over the lids. Should she be shaking the shit out of these jars often (every day) to try to keep distributing the mycelium as much as possible? Also, dou you think that the lids should be loosened for more oxygen? I have heard that during colonization, oxygen isn't that much of an issue. Should she flip the jars upside down? Thanx for any help.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisibleoscill8
*bondage fairy*
Re: Couple bird seed questions [Re: mahookah]
    #431719 - 10/20/01 09:05 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

birdseed cakes? seed and grains are nice b/c you *dont* need a verm and/or ramsey over the substrate, which makes them shakable. dont know about bs cakes... or why youd want to stick with a pf method for shakable substrates- perhaps someone can enlighten me on this one? and, if you have a verm barrier, how could you shake the seed?

--------------------
? oscill8 2001, 2002
"Any data submitted to Shroomery.org becomes our property"

Offlinemahookah
journeyman
Re: Couple bird seed questions [Re: oscill8]
    #431743 - 10/20/01 09:30 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Well, the reason for the ramsey seal is that my ex-girlfriend recently lost like 15 1 pt. jars to bacteria (I think). Ex gf has jars 2/3 full and tinfoil spread across the opening at the top dipping down into the jar about an inch and supporting a verm layer. then the lid and then tinfoil on top. She now has a pc, so I think her contam problems may be over and maybe the Ramsey seal isn't necessary. Gf was just frustrated at the time and wanted to make sure that all contams were kept out. What I really would like to know is weather it is ok to shake every day to distribute the mycellium, or just leave it alone and let it establish a network. Like I said, there is already about 30%-40% colonization, but is mostly in the top 1/3 of the jars. She might even put them in the glovebox and attempt to remove the ramsey seal for more gas exchange. Good idea or no?

OfflineSuntzu
Geek
 User Gallery

Re: Couple bird seed questions [Re: mahookah]
    #431755 - 10/20/01 09:47 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Basic rule of thumb; bacterial contams come from incomplete sterilization/bad inoculum, dirty instruments. Not really from the air as much, which is where the seal would come in. Mold contamination can come from anywhere.
If doing BS jars, be rigorous about cleanliness and shake vigorously after first inoculating.
When you say this top-down colonization is slowing as it heads downward there are a couple possibilities that come to mind. Bacteria down there inhibiting growth, or more likely, uneven water distribution, i.e. more soggy at the bottom. Some kind of stratification usually occurs when you make the jars by putting dry grain in the jar, then the water, then sterilizing. You can correct for this somewhat by shaking it, better by washing or steeping the grain first.

InvisibleZen Peddler
Male User Gallery

Loc: orbit
Re: Couple bird seed questions [Re: Suntzu]
    #431798 - 10/20/01 11:00 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Someone once told me that you cant get the green from air exchange and i have found that to be a load of shit - its happened to me twice...
Anyway, im using white millet mixed with a rye/verm cake and its colonising fine - i dont get the benefit of shaking it to spread mycelia, but i get the benefit of a ramsey seal, so its cool... Maybe there is no air exchange?? Co2 building up always causes stunted growth - turn those jars over...

--------------------

Offlinemahookah
journeyman
cool.. will do [Re: mahookah]
    #431821 - 10/20/01 11:35 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Thanx guys, that's just the kind of answers I needed. Now that I have a pc, I'm gonna try the next batch without the Ramsey seal. This is my gf's first try post pc and no sign of contams. As for this batch, I'm gonna remove the seal (in a glovebox) on a few and see what happens. If anything cool happens, I'll be sure and post it. ;)

Offlinetchyted
miestro
Loc: WA near seattle
Re: cool.. will do [Re: mahookah]
    #431956 - 10/21/01 01:41 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

shaking generally done every three to five days, more does not help. yes loosen and invert jar and lid.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Rye Grain, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation