Home | Community | Message Board

Marijuana Demystified
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop: Brown Rice Flour, Peat, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleQuiescence
Intriguer
 Arcade Champion: Hexxagon

What causes gaps in the pinset? Pic
    #4313849 - 06/19/05 03:47 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

I am very happy with how things are going.. but just curious if anyone knows why one little spot will not pin? The whole casing is covered.. and I can get it like this consistantly.. but there is always that one gap. Why?

I doubt there is much that can be done. It was not more compacted there.. just as leveled... Could it be that from the angle I spray that it gets more/less water? Could that stop it from pinning there?

Has anyone had nearly perfect pinsets and figured how to get that last 5%?

Thanks guys

~Quiescence~

--------------------
God raised up the fellow who was relaxed in the company of tax collectors, prostitutes and other outsiders, and went on to say that many of them would be welcomed to God?s banquet table long before those self-righteous people on display at church.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: What causes gaps in the pinset? Pic [Re: Quiescence]
    #4313882 - 06/19/05 04:00 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

That happens often...the gap closes in, as you perfect EVERYTHING. Every single aspet must be optimal, including the casing incredients, thickness, timing, moisture content, substrate, strain, air exchange, humidity, temps..

What substrate is that? Sometimes the substrate just doesnt have nutrients to support a complete canopy, and you can only get so much coverage. I'd suggest fruiting it a little sooner. After you case, incubate for 1-3 days, then give it fresh air 12 hours with light..I pull mine out open air, nice temps and all that..then 12 hours in the closet, then another 12 hours out...then remainder in the closet getting normal fresh air, humidity and light. I think the extra fresh air helps the pinset alot to stop vegetaive growth, and iniate pinning..looks like you had a bit to much growth through the casing layer..

Also use a peat based casing, with the correct about of verm, and make it buffered..

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

InvisibleTomandjerry58
Stranger
    #4313886 - 06/19/05 04:01 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

i don't know what ur wworried about that looks awsome. the only thing i could tell you is to try isolating a strain. and work very closely patching. thats my two cents:)

InvisibleQuiescence
Intriguer

Re: What causes gaps in the pinset? Pic [Re: scatmanrav]
    #4313907 - 06/19/05 04:09 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

I let it colonize for about 13 hours. I cased in the morning.. and then put it in the chamber before I went to bed. It colonizes the whole thing while in the chamber. I have temps at ~70-72.

They have a constant supply of fresh air. I have the coolmist 24/7 .. plus 6 1" holes around the top of the tub and another 6 at the bottom. Plus I open to just admire every now and then. Humidity stays around 90% after pinning... and must be 100% before pinning although my gauge won't admit it.

The substrate on that one is pretty weak.. it's 8 1/2pint BRF cakes. I have some poo that will be pinning in about 2 days.. we will see how that goes.

What do you mean "fresh air"? you take the casing out and leave it around?

I cold shock as well to really try to stop vegatative growth. What else could I do? It does seem a bit much on this one.

Thanks man,
~Quiescence~

--------------------
God raised up the fellow who was relaxed in the company of tax collectors, prostitutes and other outsiders, and went on to say that many of them would be welcomed to God?s banquet table long before those self-righteous people on display at church.

InvisibleQuiescence
Intriguer

Re: What causes gaps in the pinset? Pic [Re: scatmanrav]
    #4313915 - 06/19/05 04:12 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Casing thickness... that is one thing I am still not sure about. I go with the '1/4 your substrate' .. and I use 50/50+ which I test to be sure is at 7.5.

Do you patch? I have not. I usually take some of the casing mix and push it over the faster areas with a knife.. to try and correct where I put too much/too little. But I don't add more. What do you think?

--------------------

InvisibleQuiescence
Intriguer

Re: What causes gaps in the pinset? Pic [Re: Tomandjerry58]
    #4313922 - 06/19/05 04:14 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Thanks preschooler. I am not complaining. I am very happy with them. But when I do something.. I want it to be the best that it can be. And there is still a darn gap! :wink:

~Quiescence~

--------------------

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #4314627 - 06/19/05 08:01 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

I do not cold shock as I have found that can hurt things more then help, if it does anything at all..instead I do the open air thing, pull them out in my room for 12 hours while I'm up for their light cycle for 2 days, right when I think pinning should form (the first pic above or so). It keeps the casing from being to moist for a little bit, while exposing it to fresh air, increasing transpiration and slowing veg growth. Primordia shows up a day or so later everywhere, pins shortly after.

Everything else seems pretty good, I'd just work on continually trying to keep the mycelium even and lots of fresh air exchanges. With an upgrade in the substrate...you probably really only need to work on the strain/substrain...maybe try a few other strains, or try isolating the one you use and like, or cloning a good fruit..

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop: Brown Rice Flour, Peat, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation