Home | Community | Message Board

The Spore Depot
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinen00b_mj_grower
Stranger

Many species found, horse field, help IDing
    #4312810 - 06/19/05 03:08 AM (11 years, 5 months ago)

I found all of these species on my property and I'm sure that I've got a virtually unlimited supply of any one of them.

The first I'm fairly sure are p. foens but I've gotten brown and what looks like black sprore prints from many I've collected. I got some in a field that looked slightly different but they were too young to ID and the older ones had all died, though there were probably about 40 of them at one time. The dead ones were still more or less together, only they'd started decomposing and the gills were not black, they were orangish... I have no way of knowing whether these actually were the same species, they had the pattern on the cap but if somebody could please post some pictures of what p. subbs look like after they die and start to decompose that would be awesome.

Also, if somebody could post pictures of a Gymnopilus viridans that would be awesome... because I've heard a little about them but nobody ever has a picture of one. I have no clue what they look like, that name is in the faqs and stuff though.

That's most of them, more were found after this picture was taken. Any idea what those yellow ones are? I think I found white versions next to the field. The wood they're growing out of is poplar.

That looked like a p subb to me (you know which one I'm talking about) but I didn't do anything with it because I knew the chances of it being a foens.

I know the pictures aren't great but if I wanted to do this in less than like 2 days (because of the 2000k limit) I had to get them all in at once.

I really like the above mushroom, no particular reason I guess I just like the pattern and texture. (not talking about eating)

I like the look of the last one, slimy and yellow. I only found a couple of those and I believe they are dead now. They opened up and the top was essentially flat, maybe even concave... I'll post a picture when they fruit again.

MANY more pictures to come, that was only about half the species, I found some very interesting ones in the forest, and sometimes soon I will have pictures for confirmation on subbs or foens in a field of horse shit.

Do foens and subbs normally grow together or does one outcompete and take over an area? Do foens grow in shit as much as subbs?

What do you think the chances of finding some coprophila on horse shit are? There is alot of sun expected for next week, do you think it would help if I watered somewhere? I watered a compost pile and I'm going to continue doing so for 2 weeks I think... see if anything happens.

Somebody please post a picture of a gymnopilus viridans... The location is correct, I believe I have the potential for these mushrooms right now... I dont know alot about them but I believe it's possible.

I found 2 mushrooms on some horse shit, they seemed to me to be subbs, their stem was much thicker and had some bend to it. They were too small to take a good spore print from but I'm fairly confident they were subbs.

Damn that limit, I wish I'd done this earlier so I dont have to wait till 3 in the morning tomorrow to do it again.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinecamelsmoker
smoke up
 User Gallery

Loc: The Dirty Dirty
Re: Many species found, horse field, help IDing [Re: n00b_mj_grower]
    #4313356 - 06/19/05 11:21 AM (11 years, 5 months ago)

it looks like you got some pan foes and some psytherellas ...none look active nor edible

--------------------
THE LUNATIC IS IN MY HEAD
<----(o)---->
Check out www.alexgrey.com! He does tools artwork from lateralus.
No harm can come from questioning. "Best" case scenerio: You prove it right without relying on the fact that it is widely accepted. Argument strengthened. "Worst" case scenerio: You realize you might have been wrong. The new answer might or might not be what you want to hear, but it beats defending yourself with bullshit.
Qoted from (Koala Koolio)

Offlinecamelsmoker
smoke up
 User Gallery

Loc: The Dirty Dirty
Re: Many species found, horse field, help IDing [Re: camelsmoker]
    #4313365 - 06/19/05 11:25 AM (11 years, 5 months ago)

and what u mean by foens? o and the ones in the 5th picture to the far left look similar to cubes do they bruise blue? i would print those!! o and you should really persue the rules for getting a proper id!!

--------------------
THE LUNATIC IS IN MY HEAD
<----(o)---->
Check out www.alexgrey.com! He does tools artwork from lateralus.
No harm can come from questioning. "Best" case scenerio: You prove it right without relying on the fact that it is widely accepted. Argument strengthened. "Worst" case scenerio: You realize you might have been wrong. The new answer might or might not be what you want to hear, but it beats defending yourself with bullshit.
Qoted from (Koala Koolio)

InvisibleStonerguy
I smoke penis
Male

Loc: Lost
    #4313371 - 06/19/05 11:29 AM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

camelsmoker said:
and what u mean by foens?  o and the ones in the 5th picture to the far left look similar to cubes do they bruise blue? i would print those!! o and you should really persue the rules for getting a proper id!!

They are growing out of wood :ooo:.  They do look similar though

--------------------
yawn...
SG

InvisibleMasonsChild
Fellow Traveler>^..^<

Loc: Upper Midwest
Re: Many species found, horse field, help IDing [Re: Stonerguy]
    #4313549 - 06/19/05 01:15 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

I'd think the two in the bottom right of the top pic are Pan Subbs if they print black.

--------------------
Truckin' ain't for Sally's

Offlinehot48yearolds
Dharmakaya
Male User Gallery
Loc: lazy river road
Re: Many species found, horse field, help IDing [Re: MasonsChild]
    #4313634 - 06/19/05 02:05 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

yes, im pretty sure the two bottom right are pan subbs, check if the spore print is black, they are not foes!

--------------------
"Truth is more in the process than in the result."
- J. Krishnamurti

"We ourselves are not an illusory part of Reality; rather are we Reality itself illusorily conceived." Wei Wu Wei

Offlinehot48yearolds
Dharmakaya
Male User Gallery
Loc: lazy river road
Re: Many species found, horse field, help IDing [Re: hot48yearolds]
    #4313637 - 06/19/05 02:06 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

well maybe they are

--------------------
"Truth is more in the process than in the result."
- J. Krishnamurti

"We ourselves are not an illusory part of Reality; rather are we Reality itself illusorily conceived." Wei Wu Wei

OfflineLysergic_Milkman
Dr. Fist
Male

Loc: ATL
    #4313669 - 06/19/05 02:28 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

They are certainly not Panaeolus subbalteatus; probably Conocybe from the skinny stem and cone shaped cap.

Quote:

camelsmoker said:
o and the ones in the 5th picture to the far left look similar to cubes...

I agree, those are pretty interesting.
At first glance i thought they were the little bright yellow ink caps that frequent cow pastures, but looking closer i saw that the cap is too consistently solid to be Coprinus.

Offlinen00b_mj_grower
Stranger

Re: Many species found, horse field, help IDing [Re: Lysergic_Milkman]
    #4315839 - 06/20/05 03:12 AM (11 years, 5 months ago)

I believe that I have found Subbalteaus in a horse field near my house. The ones in the above pictures are not subbs and I am sure of that, but the ones in the field I am almost certain. Too many small ones tho, its hard to find the larger ones (dozens and dozens of smaller ones though) These show all the characteristics of subbs except the warped looking shape (those aren't as common in the field) the prints are black and foens do not grow in fields.

Do the other panaeolus species look similar to subbaleaus? These... I'm pretty sure are a definite match but when I haven't been able to find enough to eat and trip. How many do you think? I've heard people say 20-30, some say 10, others say up to 60! (jesus, 60 is alot just to fuckin trip eh? is it really worth it... they dont taste great)

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification