Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineMrBump
Third prize is you're fired
 User Gallery

Loc: Denver, Colorado
Chiropractic
    #4310663 - 06/18/05 11:27 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

What are your thoughts on chiropractic? Do you think its a legit medicinal practice or a scheme run by snake-oil salesmen designed to slowly drain your bank account?

Personally, I have never visited a chiropractor, even when i experienced pretty bad low back pain. Really, I have a hard time believing in his holistic pseudo-science. But some people swear by them. I have talked to a few people about it and most of them say their visits to a CHiropractor did nothing for them. I watched video displaying the methods used to "crack backs." Shit! it kind of scared me to watch the kinds of forces used on your neck and back by these "doctors." Violent jamming force was applied to the cervical spine. it just didnt look healthy.

A few nuggets of information: D D Palmer invented chiro in the early 20th centerury. palmer also practiced magnetic healing. He claimed to have cured a janitor of deafness using Chiropractic technique. He also claimed to cure heart disease in another patient using Chiro.

Chiropractic schools dont require a 4 year undergraduate degree for acceptance, you only need two years of undergrad to gain acceptance.

There is no equivelent MCAT, no clinical internship, no residency requirements to earn that DC at the end ofyour name.

State licencing involves filling out an application, submitting your Chiro School grades and diploma, and sending in about $100. Im sure MD's go thru alot more to gain licensure.

Any expiriences, thoughts, disagreements?

--------------------
If it weren't for the bloody corpses, I wouldn't have any corpses at all.

There are two ways to get to the top of an oak tree: start climbing or sit on an acorn.

Are you a carrot, an egg, or a coffee bean?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblechinadoll
there
 User Gallery

Loc: dark side of terrapin
Re: Chiropractic [Re: MrBump]
    #4310688 - 06/18/05 11:39 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Medical? I really don't think so. Legit? Yeah, I have been helped by a chiropractor.

--------------------
Just a little nervous from the fall.

InvisibleRoadkillM
Retired Shroomery Mod
Male User Gallery

Loc: Montana
    #4310690 - 06/18/05 11:41 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

a scheme run by snake-oil salesmen designed to slowly drain your bank account!~

I went to one for 2 years.

This guy was always trying to convince me that it would cure other problems in the body...due to the vertibrae being mis-aligned.
He even had a chart which showed what vertibrae effected what parts of your body.
I have a bad thyroid...and he tried to tell me he could reverse that...lolzz

Just when my back would start feeling better...he would give me an adjustment and it felt worse than when I walked in the door that day.

So I stopped going to him...the pain is still there...but I deal with it now.
And my bank account is much better off!~

He even called me trying to get me to come back...several times.

I don't believe in them...just my personal opinion from seeing one in action.

tc

--------------------
Laterz, Road

Who the hell you callin crazy?
You wouldn't know what crazy was if Charles Manson was eating froot loops on your front porch!

Brainiac said:
PM the names with on there names, that means they have mushrooms for sale.

OfflineLocus
Male

Folding@home Statistics
    #4310700 - 06/18/05 11:47 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

the second part

--------------------

The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. One cannot help but be in awe when he contemplates the mysteries of eternity, of life, of the marvelous structure of reality. It is enough if one tries merely to comprehend a little of this mystery every day. Never lose a holy curiosity. ~ Albert Einstein
"Fear is the great barrier to human growth." ~ Dr. Robert Monroe

~~~*Dosis sola facit venenum*~~~

*Check my profile to listen to my music* :smile:

OfflineRonoS
DSYSB since '01
Male User Gallery

Loc: Calgary, Alberta
    #4310825 - 06/18/05 12:40 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

My Father is a chiropractor...He's had his practice now for about 35 years. He also has many medical doctors that come to him, and is good friends with. I have seen first hand what he can do, and in many cases, it seems nothing less than a miracle. Although my father does more than just Chiropractic...he also does Accupuncture, Naturopath, and Herbal Medicine...in many cases he will go out and find the neccessary ingredients himself from the forest.

He really is a healer is every sense of the word, and can tell what is wrong with you before he even touches you...no joke. (Which is why I don't see him that often...he can tell exactly when I've been on a binge)'

He has never stopped educating himself in the healing arts, and has travelled the world learning from other healers.

I have many freinds that have also been to him for help, and swear that he is a miracle worker..literally, and are quite frankly in awe of him.

Roadkill...I'm sorry that you had a bad experience with your chiropractor, but you should know better than to generalize all, by the actions of one or the few.

--------------------
"Life has never been weird enough for my liking"

OfflineOrganic
Lloyd

Loc: Overlook
    #4310861 - 06/18/05 12:53 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

There are a lot of bad ones and a lot of good ones. The good ones will tell you its no cure-all. They will adjust you and recommend therapeutic exercises. Some people expect more or have a bad impression due to the MD's criticisms of chiros...of course they will talk shit about them since it takes their business--when in reality if the MD can't do surgery, the only difference would be he could prescribe you some painkillers, NOT adjust you, and send you to physical therapy to adjust yourself. Chiropractic is not to cure you, it is to treat you and get you on the path to treating yourself.

--------------------

InvisibleDiploidM
Cuban

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Rabbit Hole
Re: Chiropractic [Re: Organic]
    #4311303 - 06/18/05 04:12 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

From the National Council Against Health Fraud's web:

http://www.ncahf.org/pp/chirop.html

The term ''chiropractic'' literally means "done by hand." The word was adopted by chiropractic's founder, Daniel D. Palmer, a layman with an intense personal interest in the metaphysical health philosophies of his day such as magnetic healing, phrenology, and spiritualism. In 1895, Palmer claimed to have restored the hearing of a nearly deaf janitor by manipulating his spine.

Palmer believed that he had discovered the primary cause of disease and theorized that 95 percent of all disease was caused by spinal subluxation and the others by luxated bones elsewhere in the body. Palmer was not employing the term "subluxation" in its medical sense, but with a new metaphysical meaning. Palmer's "subluxations" supposedly interfered with the body's expression of the Universal Intelligence (God) which Palmer dubbed the Innate Intelligence (spark of life or spirit).(19) Thus, D.D. Palmer invented chiropractic, named it, and established a guild of practitioners to further its development. For this reason chiropractic fits the dictionary definition of a cult (i.e. a system for the cure of disease based upon dogma set forth by its promulgator) (Webster's New Seventh Collegiate Dictionary).

--------------------
Republican Values:

1) You can't get married to your spouse who is the same sex as you.
2) You can't have an abortion no matter how much you don't want a child.
3) You can't have a certain plant in your possession or you'll get locked up with a rapist and a murderer.

4) We need a smaller, less-intrusive government.

OfflineOrganic
Lloyd

Loc: Overlook
Re: Chiropractic [Re: Diploid]
    #4311348 - 06/18/05 04:25 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

:lol: Because we all know EVERY chiropracter must be as eccentric as the founder.

--------------------

OfflineMrBump
Third prize is you're fired
 User Gallery

Loc: Denver, Colorado
Re: Chiropractic [Re: Organic]
    #4334141 - 06/24/05 09:50 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Organic said:
:lol: Because we all know EVERY chiropracter must be as eccentric as the founder.

Calling Palmer simply eccentric would be an understatement. THe guy clearly was either a major schister like Ronny Hubbard or a complete nut.

link

D. D. PALMER
SCHOOL OF CHIROPRACTIC
PERSONALLY CONDUCTED BY THE ONE WHO DISCOVERED THE BASIC
PRINCIPLE    OF    CHIROPRACTIC,    DEVELOPED    ITS    PHILOSOPHY,
ORIGINATED AND FOUNDED THE  SCIENCE AND ART OF CORRECTING
ABNORMAL FUNCTIONS BY HAND-ADJUSTING, USING THE VERTEBRAL
PROCESSES AS LEVERS.                                                                           

D.D. PALMER gave CHIROPRACTIC to the WORLD.

Santa Barbara,
Cal., May 4, 1911.
P.W. Johnson, D.C.;

Exerpts:

I occupy in chiropractic a similar position as did Mrs. Eddy in Christian Science.  LINK TO DEFINITION OF CHURCH OF CHRIST, SCIENTIST Mrs. Eddy claimed to receive her ideas from
the other world and so do I. She founded theron a religioin, so may I. I am THE ONLY ONE IN CHIROPRACTIC WHO CAN
DO SO.

Ye, Old Dad always has something new to give to his followers. I have much new written for another edition, when this one
is sold. It is STRANGE TO ME WHY EVERY CHIROPRACTOR DOES NOT WANT A COPY OF MY BOOK.

I have been and continue to watch your rights with "The American Octopus". I want you to STUDY the religious move.

California has an organization with Miss Michelson as our attorney.

Please drop me a few lines as soon as your trial is over, so that I may know how matters proceed.

You ask, what I think will be the final outcome of our law getting. It will be that we will have to build a boat similar to
Christian Science and hoist a religious flag. I have received chiropractic from the other world, similar as did Mrs. Eddy. No
other one has lad claim to that, NOT EVEN B.J. (Palmer's child)

Exemption clauses instead of chiro laws by all means, and LET THAT EXEMPTION BE THE RIGHT TO PRACTICE
OUR RELIGION. But we must have a religious head, one who is the founder, as did Christ, Mohamed, Jo. Smith, Mrs. Eddy,
Martin Luther and other who have founded religions. I am the fountain head. I am the founder of chiropractic in its science, in
its art, in its philosophy and in its religious phase. Now, if chiorpractors desire to claim me as their head, their leader, the way is
clear. My writings have been gradually steering in that direction until now it is time to assume that we have the same right to as
has Christian Scientists.

Oregon is free to Chiropractors. California gives Chiropractors only one chance, that of practicing our religion.

The protective policy of the U.C.A. is O.K., but that of religion is far better. The latter can only be assumed by having a
leader, a head, a person who has received chiropractic as a science, as an art, as a philosophy and as a religion. Do you catch on?

The policy of the U.C.A. is the best that B.J. can be at the head of, BUT THE RELIGIOUS MOVE IS FAR BETTER, but we
must incorporate under the man who received the principles of chiropractic from the other world, who wrote the book of all
chiropractic books, who today has much new matter, valuable, which is not contained in that book.

If you will watch my book closely as you read, you will find it has a religion contained in it, altho I do not so name it.

If either of the Davenport schools would take advantage of practicing our religion founded by D.D. Palmer, it will make the
way of chiropractic as easy as it was for the S.C.'s.

I have given you some special hints on the question which is uppermost in your mind, will you please give it consideration --
never mind if it is new.

Truly,
    (Signed) D.D. Palmer.

Copyright by Joseph C. Keating, Jr., Ph.D

I cant for the life of me findthe link right now, but there is an anecdote i read that went like: At Palmer College in Iowa in the 1910's there's a picture of Jesus and of BJ Palmer on the wall, underneath there read a caption "Jesus healed a few, but Paler heals thousands."

:tongue:

--------------------
If it weren't for the bloody corpses, I wouldn't have any corpses at all.

There are two ways to get to the top of an oak tree: start climbing or sit on an acorn.

Are you a carrot, an egg, or a coffee bean?

Edited by MrBump (06/24/05 09:55 PM)

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale