Home | Community | Message Board

Fairy Ring Spores
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Psychedelic Experience

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Being a Guide
    #4310230 - 06/18/05 07:52 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

I have 2 friedns that wanna trip in less than 2 hours, I need help. I want to be a good guide, I hvae shroomed before, both of he,m have not. I will be sober and i was just planning on being there for them and if they wanna go somewhere i will take them so they dont get hurt, lost, trip out ect.

-What can I do if one of the guys says "Dude, im scared" or starts having a bad trip?

-How can I make their trip to the fullest?
--(I have some trippy like optical illisions for them and stuff)

-Black light, good/bad?

-Are pillows cool to have in my car? For them to like play with?

-What are some toys I can let them play with that will be fun that can be found around the house easily

-Should i pack some OJ for them?

-If they do trip out in my car, what should i do, pull off somewhere, like a neighborhood, park, and talk to them with very mellow, and soft music in the background?

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
The Heaviest OfThem All

Loc: British Columbia
Re: Being a Guide [Re: SHISHI]
    #4310613 - 06/18/05 12:48 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Put on some upbeat music if they start freaking out, and/or go to a different location. Tell them everything will be alright, it's only a drug, they will go back to normal. Make sure they know before hand that mushrooms do not cause any physical damage.

I find closing my eyes for a long period of time can become extremely intense.

Looking at fractals is also really cool on mushrooms I find.

I can imagine being in a moving car on mushrooms to be really neat (although unfortunately I've never tried it)... if they want pillows then go ahead. :smile:

Any type of liquid would be sufficient.

Just go with what they want to experience, that isn't too dangerous.

Edited by HeavyToilet (06/18/05 12:49 PM)

Re: Being a Guide [Re: HeavyToilet]
    #4310685 - 06/18/05 01:36 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

how old are your friends where you need to bring toys, juice and cookies?

Re: Being a Guide [Re: yousuck]
    #4310922 - 06/18/05 03:16 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

lol to the above post.

bring some foods, i found when i was on shrooms, i sneakily took my friends pepsi cherry, and when i drank it i became electrical. it had a big theme in my trip, so yeah bring some foods, that will give themn something to do for a while and may calm them down

Marx said:
good luck with the microscopy 

Re: Being a Guide [Re: UlisSausage7]
    #4315919 - 06/20/05 03:42 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Alright. Weve changed to 1 week from now, and its not toys milk and cookies, but for you i guess you like to shrooms with nothing to do, hahaha, this is to "yousuck" personally, i like tripping with fun things to do. Stuffed animals are so fun, i talked to one of mine on shrooms one! hahaha. good times, lmao

meet me in thedreamtimewater...

#4316340 - 06/20/05 10:06 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

SHISHI said:
-What can I do if one of the guys says "Dude, im scared" or starts having a bad trip?

reasure them that they are under the effects of mushrooms and that they'll be straight in a few hours. there's lots of advice on bad trips - search the forum. help them to recognise that they are experiencing their own conciousness; there is nothing to be afraid of. often a change of setting can bring a change of mood. tell them to breath deeply and concentrate on their breathing.

-How can I make their trip to the fullest?

depends what they want from the trip. if you're just having fun, then trip toys and music are great. going outdoors always rocks as well. personally i always love conversation when i'm tripping.

-Black light, good/bad?

you mean darkness? it can be scary. it can also be very interesting. i generally prefer low light levels when i'm tripping. the other day when i tripped, it was switching the light off that essentially triggered the ego-death process, although you shouldn't have to worry about that on a low dose.

-Are pillows cool to have in my car? For them to like play with?

i don't see why not.

-What are some toys I can let them play with that will be fun that can be found around the house easily

laser pens are always fun. i find almost anything can become a toy when you're tripping. some paper and pen/pencil/paint can be interesting.

-Should i pack some OJ for them?

if they like OJ.

-If they do trip out in my car, what should i do, pull off somewhere, like a neighborhood, park, and talk to them with very mellow, and soft music in the background?

try and pull off in a quiet spot if possible.

my best advice for being a guide is don't worry about them too much! i.e. don't keep asking if they are alright etc. they will tell you if they're not. just hang out with them and act pretty much normally. if they go deep, don't distract them.

finally, if your friends smoke grass, its always nice to have some for the come-down.

"Gently return to the simple physical sensation of the breath. Then do it again, and again, and again. Somewhere in this process, you will come face-to-face with the sudden and shocking realization that you are completely crazy. Your mind is a shrieking, gibbering madhouse on wheels." - ven. henepola gunaratana

Devil's Advocate
Female User Gallery

Loc: Mod not God Flag
    #4317307 - 06/20/05 04:23 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Tripper's FAQ #14. What is a trip guide? Do I need one or am I one?

Timothy Leary speaks of Trip Guides.

If you have not read The Psychedelic Experience by Timothy Leary, stop reading this FAQ and start reading that link!

Here's what Leary says about guides:
The Psychedelic Guide

"For initial sessions, the attitude and behavior of the guide are critical factors. He possesses enormous power to shape the experience. With the cognitive mind suspended, the subject is in a heightened state of suggestibility. The guide can move consciousness with the slightest gesture or reaction.

The key issue here is the guide's ability to turn off his own ego and social games - in particular, to muffle his own power needs and his fears. To be there relaxed, solid, accepting, secure. The Tao wisdom of creative quietism. To sense all and do nothing except to let the subject know your wise presence.

A psychedelic session lasts up to twelve hours and produces moments of intense, intense, INTENSE reactivity. The guide must never be bored, talkative, intellectualizing. He must remain calm during the long periods of swirling mindlessness.

He is the ground control in the airport tower. Always there to receive messages and queries from high-flying aircraft. Always ready to help navigate their course, to help them reach their destination. An airport- tower-operator who imposes his own personality, his own games upon the pilot is unheard of. The pilots have their own flight plan, their own goals, and ground control is there, ever waiting to be of service.

The pilot is reassured to know that an expert who has guided thousands of flights is down there, available for help. But suppose the flier has reason to suspect that ground control is harboring his own motives and might be manipulating the plane toward selfish goals. The bond of security and confidence would crumble.

It goes without saying, then, that the guide should have had considerable experience in psychedelic sessions himself and in guiding others. To administer psychedelics without personal experience is unethical and dangerous.

The greatest problem faced by human beings in general, and the psychedelic guide in particular, is fear. Fear of the unknown. Fear of losing control. Fear of trusting the genetic process and your companions. From our own research studies and our investigations into sessions run by others - serious professionals or adventurous bohemians - we have been led to the conclusion that almost every negative LSD reaction has been caused by fear on the part of the guide which has augmented the transient fear of the subject. When the guide acts to protect himself, he communicates his concern to the subject.

The guide must remain passively sensitive and intuitively relaxed for several hours. This is a difficult assignment for most Westerners. For this reason, we have sought ways to assist the guide in maintaining a state of alert quietism in which he is poised with ready flexibility. The most certain way to achieve this state is for the guide to take a low dose of the psychedelic with the subject. Routine procedure is to have one trained person participate in the experience and one staff member present in ground control without psychedelic aid.

The knowledge that one experienced guide is "up" and keeping the subject company, is of inestimable value; intimacy and communication; cosmic companionship; the security of having a trained pilot flying at your wing tip; the scuba diver's security in the presence of an expert comrade in the deep.

It is not recommended that guides take large doses during sessions for new subjects. The less experienced he is, the more likely will the subject impose Second and Third Bardo hallucinations. These intense games affect the experienced guide, who is likely to be in a state of mindless void. The guide is then pulled into the hallucinatory field of the subject, and may have difficulty orienting himself. During the First Bardo there are no familiar fixed landmarks, no place to put your foot, no solid concept upon which to base your thinking. All is flux. Decisive Second Bardo action on the part of the subject can structure the guide's flow if he has taken a heavy dose.

The role of the psychedelic guide is perhaps the most exciting and inspiring role in society. He is literally a liberator, one who provides illumination, one who frees men from their life-long internal bondage. To be present at the moment of awakening, to share the ecstatic revelation when the voyager discovers the wonder and awe of the divine life-process, is for many the most gratifying part to play in the evolutionary drama. The role of the psychedelic guide has a built-in protection against professionalism and didactic oneupmanship. The psychedelic liberation is so powerful that it far outstrips earthly game ambitions. Awe and gratitude - rather than pride - are the rewards of this new profession. "

The Shroomery's Take:

Today, some people think a guide can play a more casual role than Leary suggests.

A guide is commonly considered an experienced tripper, but Leary wanted a guide to be much more experienced than most people may think.

Leary wanted psychologists to learn how to "Guide" trips to help their patients. In that sense, there are not many trip guides in the world.

Leary also talked of guiding large groups. But, a guide can be helpful even in groups of two.

Any chance you get to trip with a good guide should not be missed (unless you have a good reason). Traditionally, the guide takes a smaller dose than the guided tripper.

There are many experienced trippers out there. If you are new to tripping, It is best you trip with an experienced tripper your first time. They can keep an eye on you and help you if needed. At the very least, newbies should look at some EssentialLinks and begin to learn to guide themselves before tripping.

A guide should be in charge of setting. Provide trippers with water, and if desired, music and/or food. Leave the "Hands on" guiding to the experienced guides. For the most part, a guide needs to be an exemplar, an Icon for their tripping partner(s)

If you are tripping alone, positive or spiritual music makes an excellent guide.

Are you a guide?

The more you learn about tripping, the better you become as a guide. With experience, guidance can become very subtle and positive.

There is no need for excessive talk as a guide. Actions speak louder than words. Listening is more important than talking.

Guides need not control a trip, rather they can provide gentle nudges when needed.

The goal of a guide is not really to guide is to help encourage positivity, love and joy for the duration of the trip.

Usually, the less a guide does, the better. Simply being a good DJ will help guide a beginner's trip towards positivity.

No guide can enlighten someone, people must enlighten themselves. You can not grow a tree, only plant a seed.

My Own Messiah
 User Gallery

Loc: USF Tampa, Fl
Re: Being a Guide [Re: Rose]
    #4324248 - 06/22/05 12:24 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Everything has pretty much been said, but I would like to add that I strongly advise AGAINST driving them around. It can become very clostrophobic and uncomfortable, and dangerous. They should have the freedom to get up, sit down, etc, and you should have the ability to give them immediate attention without being responsible for the lives of the people in your car and other people on the road. It's just a bad idea for a first trip.

When I first started tripping I liked to turn people on and introduce them to shrooms. But I'd just seen too many people have a really bad time their first trip, or go shroom crazy and get seizures, HPPD, etc. I don't feel comfortable accepting the responsiblity anymore. I love to talk to people who are curious and tell them what I think they should know, but...

¡(Bound to·(O))be free!
Male User Gallery

Loc: I re·side [primarily] in...
    #4324314 - 06/22/05 12:36 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Through intention..

User Gallery

Loc: Dancin' in the street
Re: Being a Guide [Re: Gomp]
    #4325109 - 06/22/05 04:13 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Let me give you the short and sweet answer.

Be positive and helpful. If trouble arises, advise the trippers that they are on drugs and that everything will be okay in a few hours.

Water and deep breaths.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Psychedelic Experience