Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinecadam
The Extremist

What to do when a bad trip strikes
    #4308303 - 06/17/05 05:01 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Only add a suggestion if it has worked for you before, don't copy stuff from websites, suggestions should only be provided by people who have had BAD trips (i also tend to trip alone most of the time). I personally feel that the most difficult part of a bad trip is listening to your self talking to your self in your head.

1 - I find watching a nature program takes away a bad trip

2 - Watching a team (usually paramedics) save a life on TV

please continue............

--------------------
If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could ever imagine

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineheadset
Stranger
Re: What to do when a bad trip strikes [Re: cadam]
    #4308318 - 06/17/05 05:07 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

sit down and take it.

OfflineDrink_Punk_Soda
Now with ExtraVaganza!?

Loc: Nowhere fast
    #4308330 - 06/17/05 05:15 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

I definately get that "talking to yourself in your head" thing, although sometimes it's funny.. like "Why am I thinking about this? Don't think about it. Don't think about thinking!"

I find that the best way to overcome, at least, a bad trip is to try to get it into your head that it's happening, and that the mushrooms are doing it. I know most people are aware of that, but if you can remember that there's a reason for the trip happening (aside from whatever triggered/caused it) it makes it a lot easier to take in. It almost becomes like lucid dreaming at that point- you know what's going on isn't real, and you can act inside of a world you can't entirely control.

The WORST trips are the ones where you can't figure out WHY you're tripping, or what "tripping" is.

--------------------

Kumbayah my lord, Kumbayah...

InvisibleApOcaLyPSe_1985
Floatingbuildings in thesky...

Loc: The Netherlands
Re: What to do when a bad trip strikes [Re: Drink_Punk_Soda]
    #4308573 - 06/17/05 06:32 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

When your stuck on a bad thought force yourself to think positive. Like in the world of Peter Pan... "think happy thoughts."
I know it's hard to lose it, but you need to get rid of it before things get worse. The best thing you could do is to start talking about a random, but good subject to your friend(s). They reply and you get distracted. Eventually you forget what you we're making problems with. But when you trip alone try the following:

- Watch TV and put the volume way down.
- Change the music. You need slow, easy and relaxing music. Your mind needs to cool down.
- If you have a visualiser on a laptop or something then watch that.
- Don't lie down. It will make it worse as you will try to close your eyes most of the time which will increase the visuals and the bad feeling.
- Force yourself to calm down... it's not real. But if your into a problem that's true and you know it, then it's a bit harder. Try to tell yourself it's the work of the drugs. Go with the flow.
- Trips usually don't go bad with good friends. I wouldn't recommend tripping alone :p
- Drink some water, it will distract you. While doing the proces of drinking try to focus on the drinking only and change to another subject. It's hard to master, but once you get it you will forget the bad thing in no time.

Edited by ApOcaLyPSe_1985 (06/17/05 06:34 PM)

InvisibleHeavyToilet
The Heaviest OfThem All
Male

Loc: British Columbia
    #4308581 - 06/17/05 06:34 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

I've had some shady experiences before, but nothing bad.

I was able to turn them around before anything bad happened.

Distracting yourself from the thoughts is key.

InvisibleShroomOmatic
Ethno Apprentice
Male User Gallery
Loc: Sailing the Seas of Chees...
Re: What to do when a bad trip strikes [Re: headset]
    #4308648 - 06/17/05 06:48 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

headset said:
sit down and take it.

Yep Yep.

--------------------

InvisibleApOcaLyPSe_1985
Floatingbuildings in thesky...

Loc: The Netherlands
Re: What to do when a bad trip strikes [Re: ShroomOmatic]
    #4308728 - 06/17/05 07:11 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

I've heard that large doses of vitamin c would work against a bad trip. Is this true?

Offlinecadam
The Extremist

Re: What to do when a bad trip strikes [Re: ApOcaLyPSe_1985]
    #4308799 - 06/17/05 07:31 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Vit C would do something, but you would have to take more than the body could intake, so its a no go!

--------------------

Offlinewrestler_az
PsiLLy BiLLy
Male User Gallery

Loc: day dreams of a mad man
    #4308925 - 06/17/05 08:04 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

the best thing to do is like has already been said, sit down and take it. theres lots to be learned during a "bad" trip. theres a good chance (or at least its been my experience) that once its all over with your "bad" trip quite possibly could be one of your best. try to remember your on drugs. theres a reason its not going so well....take time to try to figure it out if your are not too freaked out. if your too freaked out to try to deal with it....benzos are your friend.  :thumbup:

--------------------
how's your WOW?

Edited by yageman (04/20/06 4:20 PM) 

Offlineharpd
Passing By

Re: What to do when a bad trip strikes [Re: wrestler_az]
    #4309109 - 06/17/05 08:48 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Yeah, take a xanax and change the music. Just try to chill out and deal with your problems instead of distracting yourself from your issues with TV or a visualizer. I can't see how vitamin C would affect your thoughts at all, but maybe I'm misunderstanding that post.

--------------------
When you get the blanket thing you can relax because everything you could ever want or be you already have and are.

Offlinewrestler_az
PsiLLy BiLLy
Male User Gallery

Loc: day dreams of a mad man
Re: What to do when a bad trip strikes [Re: harpd]
    #4309311 - 06/17/05 09:49 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

its one of those urban myths as far as i know.

--------------------
how's your WOW?

Edited by yageman (04/20/06 4:20 PM) 

Offline3eyeswise
captain
Loc: lake county Florida
Re: What to do when a bad trip strikes [Re: wrestler_az]
    #4309884 - 06/18/05 12:37 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

are zanex safe to help sleep?

--------------------
By questioning death I have found the answer to life.

OfflineKodath
strangerThan

Re: What to do when a bad trip strikes [Re: 3eyeswise]
    #4310270 - 06/18/05 06:38 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

A change in music helps a lot, for me at least. When I start to feel negative thoughts coming up I turn on something like Antennas to Heaven by Godspeed You Black Emperor and flip on the Milkdrop visualization. I usually skip forward in the song to about the 10 minute mark, the really uplifting stuff starts there. Modest Mouse is good too, they have some nice laid back songs. Also Giving Up The Ghost or Midnight In A Perfect World by DJ Shadow.

--------------------

Life: Main event at the MGM Grand. Murphy's fighting Occam, and you're in the stands.

Offlinealsey
meet me in thedreamtimewater...

#4310279 - 06/18/05 06:52 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

there are different kinds of bad trips, and i deal with them differently.

if it starts going bad before i've peaked, the only thing i would ever do is lie down in complete darkness and silence and breath, letting everything just flow. this will hopefully then lead to complete ego death. this happened to me just three days ago actually, when i ate 12 hits of acid. i came up insanely fast, and got terrified of completely losing myself. i called my friend round, and she read some of leary's 'the psychedelic experience' to me, while i just layed there, and before i knew it i had dissapeared into selfless ecstacy. this sort of 'bad trip' has only happened to me twice, on pretty high doses. i don't think this sort of thing happens on lower doses.

if it starts going bad during or soon after the peak, i don't know, i'd probably just go for a walk outside or something. this has never actually happened to me, however.

most often, 'bad trips' hit me on the come-down. i just start getting depressed and stuff, not really wanting to return to reality. i usually resolve this with a healthy dose of marijuana, and meditating on the the third bardo instructions from the psychedelic experience.

i would have to say, the best thing you can possibly do if you feel a 'bad trip' coming on is to let it happen. just accept everything that comes and don't try and distract your mind from it. distracting yourself and fighting the trip, at the very best, will push your fears and insecurities back into the depths of your brain, ready to strike again some other time. this is especially true with higher doses. on lower doses, you can get away with fighting the trip, but with a big dose you damn well better surrender to it or it will get nasty. if you do this, you'll probably find the 'bad trip' becomes beautiful and very productive.

finally, never forget to breath deeply. concentrate on breathing, feel the air flowing in and out, this can be very relaxing. remember that its your own conciousness you are experiencing - there is nothing to be afraid of.

--------------------
"Gently return to the simple physical sensation of the breath. Then do it again, and again, and again. Somewhere in this process, you will come face-to-face with the sudden and shocking realization that you are completely crazy. Your mind is a shrieking, gibbering madhouse on wheels." - ven. henepola gunaratana

Edited by alsey (06/18/05 07:05 AM)

Invisibleyousuck
Stranger

Re: What to do when a bad trip strikes [Re: alsey]
    #4310730 - 06/18/05 11:59 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

apparently none of you have had a true bad trip if your simply suggesting to "accept it and let it happen". A truly bad trip is not one where you simply cant or dont want to handle the experience. for those who cant handle these types of meager bad trips, they shouldnt be taking these chemicals in the first place.

A true bad trip is one where your mind starts to see death and loses control over your bodily functions. Your heart beats at deadly speeds, you cant tell whether you've soiled yourself or not, the skin becomes deathly clammy and you start losing internal heat, you in essence know that if it persists, your going to physically die.

This only ever happened to me once, by none other than ayahuasca.

What to do? for one, make sure someone is around to call an ambulance if you start to die. Make sure that someone is supportive and doesnt just stand around and watch you in this tortured state, as in my case. You start to know who your friends really are under these conditions.

While you cant truly know how to deal with a near death experience till you've had one, i would say to try your best to lock this mantra into your brain as your one and only thought:

"Im still breathing, im not dead".

OfflineGreenOsiris
Stranger

Re: What to do when a bad trip strikes [Re: yousuck]
    #4311181 - 06/18/05 03:25 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

All of my bad experiences seem to be during peak or come-up, usually panicky feelings or anxiety, and always when I am with other people. I find the best thing to do is to just go by myself for a little bit and focus mentally on what is transpiring, realize that sometimes things suck but yeah just deal with it. I can't speak for the bad-trips where ego-loss is imminent because I have yet to go that far, but I have had "bad-trips" and just getting away from everything and letting my mind go free seems to help me

Offlinegnrm23
Carpal Tunnel
Loc: n. e. OH, USSA
Re: What to do when a bad trip strikes [Re: GreenOsiris]
    #4311226 - 06/18/05 03:40 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

if you are unable to obtain a prescription benzo such as valium or xanax, many people find that 250 milligrams of niacinamide (a "non-flushing" form of vitamin B3) can help quite a bit...
also it is possible that an antihistamine like compazine, diphenhydramine, phenergan, bonine, etc. can help...

& if you do a little search (utfse) you might find that this very Q has been asked hundreds of times before...

--------------------
old enough to know better
not old enough to care

Offlinealsey

#4311720 - 06/18/05 07:07 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

the path leading up to ego death can be a hellish nightmare; perhaps the scariest thing you can possibly face. if you reach this state, fighting it will only make it worse. you have to totally accept what is happening to you and become what you most fear...and then there is bliss.

as i said, on lower doses, you can get away with fighting a trip and distracting yourself.

you're not going to physically die from taking mushrooms or acid. they are extremely non-toxic. strange physical sensations felt on a trip are a product of the mind; lsd and psilocybin don't do anything to the rest of your body.

it sounds to me like you're saying a 'truly bad trip' is one where you fight the trip and gets worse - i.e. you don't want the trip to happen. if you just let it flow, it probably wouldn't become what you call a 'truly bad trip'.

--------------------
"Gently return to the simple physical sensation of the breath. Then do it again, and again, and again. Somewhere in this process, you will come face-to-face with the sudden and shocking realization that you are completely crazy. Your mind is a shrieking, gibbering madhouse on wheels." - ven. henepola gunaratana

Offlinedointhatrag
Stranger
    #4311770 - 06/18/05 07:22 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Quicksilver Messenger Service - Happy Trails

"Some trails are happy ones,
Others are blue.
It's the way you ride the trail that counts,
Here's a happy one for you.

Happy trails to you,
Until we meet again.
Happy trails to you,
Keep smilin' until then.

Who cares about the clouds when we're together?
Just sing a song, and bring the sunny weather.

Happy trails to you,
Til we meet again."

Short song, but definitely did the trick for me.

Offlinemoonlightdrift
Dramatic butTrue
 User Gallery

Loc: If I knew I'd tell ya
Re: What to do when a bad trip strikes [Re: dointhatrag]
    #4311852 - 06/18/05 07:47 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

instead of xanax, try seroquil. it's an anti psychotic. it will not only make you sleep, but it will make you stop tripping. if you can find it, it's also cheaper than xan b/c it's not recreational.

--------------------

I swear I didn't do it

OfflineKalix
'Head

Re: What to do when a bad trip strikes [Re: moonlightdrift]
    #4312023 - 06/18/05 08:44 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Stanislav Grof, psychedelic therapist, says, failure to complete and integrate a psychedelic experience, even a difficult one, can cause serious psychological experiences down the road, and that the worst thing you can do to someone freaking out is to tranquilize them out of a trip

--------------------

My Unitarian Jihad Name is: The Shotgun of Sweet Reason

Offlinecadam
The Extremist

#4313187 - 06/19/05 06:01 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

yousuck said:
apparently none of you have had a true bad trip if your simply suggesting to "accept it and let it happen". A truly bad trip is not one where you simply cant or dont want to handle the experience.

This is what i was thinking, you cannot just sit down and take it, your go crazy.

Maybe you can on such little doses, but a bad trip on 1g and a bad trip on 5 is completely different. i'd laugh at a 1 gram bad trip, to be honest I couldn't even have a bad trip on that dose.

My 1st bad trip was when i took 80g of copelandia, my mate came down n took me out for a drive, my mood just changed from thinking EVERYONE hated me, that the world was falling in on me and i couldn't avoid it, no one wanted me, not even the walls, closing my eyes bought on hallucination that scared me, terrified me. The funny thing is, the visuals are no different from when i have had good trips, it's purely mental

--------------------

Edited by cadam (06/19/05 09:43 AM)

Offlinealsey

#4313264 - 06/19/05 07:12 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

cadam said:
This is what i was thinking, you cannot just sit down and take it, your go crazy.

no, you think you'll go crazy. once you accept that, however, the trip will take a massive turn for the better.

believe me, if you take a big enough dose, you'll reach a point where fighting the trip doesn't work; the trip will kick your ass.

--------------------

OfflineKalix
'Head

#4313384 - 06/19/05 09:36 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

cadam said:

no, you think you'll go crazy. once you accept that, however, the trip will take a massive turn for the better.

believe me, if you take a big enough dose, you'll reach a point where fighting the trip doesn't work; the trip will kick your ass.

--------------------

My Unitarian Jihad Name is: The Shotgun of Sweet Reason

Offlineiateshaggy
i haxor 360s
Male User Gallery

Loc: 612 Warf Avenue, next to....
Re: What to do when a bad trip strikes [Re: Kalix]
    #4313931 - 06/19/05 02:16 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

so what would stanislav grof say the would be worse, ending a trip early and being disapointed down the road, or freaking out so bad it landed you in the hospital or jail? i've always hadled up on my bad trips, but i've seen others not do so well and end up running naked through the forest, another jumped out of a sunroof @70mph(broke both knees but lived) and a handful of others just went to jail. i bet they're glad noone nocked them out while there was time.

--------------------
You are a filipina sex goddess who wants to fuck me until I fall asleep, so then you can tickle my balls and see if the legend of my diamond filled nutsuck is true.  I am a white man from costa rica, who smells like lime jello.

I can flash/jtag/repair 360's, pm for details.

Invisiblemecreateme
YoUisMEEMsiUoY
Male User Gallery

Loc: Memphrica
    #4314328 - 06/19/05 04:44 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

You have to give in to it. I know it seems like you will die, go insane, the world will end, etc. There are an endless number of ways it will tend to happen but what is going on is your ego is losing a battle with the psychedelic drug you ingested. The feelings of timelesness, of being  inumerably old, of traveling down the DNA ladder and seeing your ancestors, can not take place when your "you" is in the house. To travel to the "other side" you have to give in. When you give in you realize everything is the same as it has always been, albeit, you have another chance. Like a wheel everything changes and revolves but you always hit  ground zero again. Insanity and Enlightenment are but two sides to the same coin.

The trouble comes from the people who resist and will not accept that they are the eyes of the world. They shudder when realizing how old you truly are, timeless, and then it is too much for them to take. They realize what the world is and just don't care anymore. They take off their clothes cause none of this shit matters anymore, it was all an elaborate game. How funny that none of that shit you ever thought mattered matters. These people see through the illusion and for many minds it is too much to take. Very few remember anything of what happened during that "bad trip" they had. They label it and put it away in a mental cabinet never to be seen again. And the experience is just that all experience, you cannot grasp it in words, there are no words that could make it up, it flows through the words, look at the spaces in my words, those are more like what one encounters when they see to the core. :sun:

--------------------
No ONE wants to know the ultimate TRUTH, as soon as YOU find IT out, YOU want to forget IT.

You are everything's way of feeling itself.

Happy Schwag, everygodly!

OfflineGog
hapless andhappy

Re: What to do when a bad trip strikes [Re: mecreateme]
    #4314401 - 06/19/05 05:06 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Indeed. What most people call a bad trip is a glimpse into the abyss. It is too dirty and rotten at the core, the brilliance can be eclipsed by darkness, in fact anything can happen and it shudders in your very center.

Our culture is alienated to the very notion of a center. Add ancient enlightenment-inducing drugs to the mix and it can be unpretty to be mildly put.

Just take it you North American 21st century pansy.

Invisiblemecreateme
YoUisMEEMsiUoY
Male User Gallery

Loc: Memphrica
Re: What to do when a bad trip strikes [Re: Gog]
    #4314683 - 06/19/05 06:15 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

???

Taking it is only advice I give. Read?

--------------------
No ONE wants to know the ultimate TRUTH, as soon as YOU find IT out, YOU want to forget IT.

You are everything's way of feeling itself.

Happy Schwag, everygodly!

Invisibleboeha
explorer

Re: What to do when a bad trip strikes [Re: mecreateme]
    #4317501 - 06/20/05 03:13 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

You know how sometimes your thoughts race at 100miles per hour ?
And that those thoughts often are disturbing and lead to bad visuals and feelings?

I have found out that the best part to avoid this, is to remember your own 'mantra'... A sort of rememberance to yourself to just relax, and let it flow through you.
And when you say your mantra, you will hear it linguer on in eternity, and then you should be fine.

A mantra doesn't have to be a sentence or words, it can be just an ordinary sound. Like thinking "ssssssssssssht", will always help me relax, because it reminds me of the soothing sound of an ocean.

But I have to add; if the badtrip is already progressed far, there isn't a whole lot you can do but to ride that fucker out. I mean, if you already see bad faces everywhere, and think you're on the highway to hell; the only thing you can do is to fasten your seatbelt and hope the devil is too busy to see you.

And to prevent a badtrip: Just think positive in daylife; be good, be happy; and then you will find that it is more easy to relax in a trip.

--------------------
- turn on, tune in, drop out ...
- peace, love and understanding ...

OfflineImpulse101
Stranger
 User Gallery
Loc: 2 paces west of the "big ...
Re: What to do when a bad trip strikes [Re: boeha]
    #4317824 - 06/20/05 04:49 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

i read threads like this! definatly takes my mind off it... and kinda seems amusing in a way that i seek advice from people i dont know yet, i tell them who i am and what i do? ahh me rambling BAH! lol i read threads like these :smile:

--------------------
"Take me koalas back jack... take my koalas back, he lives somwhere out on the track mack... so take me koalas back"

"Tie me kangaroo down sport, tie me kangaroon down!"

Offlineanghellic
Stranger
Loc: BFE
Re: What to do when a bad trip strikes [Re: Impulse101]
    #4319615 - 06/21/05 02:15 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

I've had 2 really bad trips before and what I've learned from them at least in my case is that they are almost impossible to come out of. When I finally do though I usually look back on it and realize that I have learned a lot from the experience, so I would say the best thing to do is just to go with it and learn something from it.

InvisibleHELLA_TIGHT
Madge the Smoking Vag
Female User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Afghanistan Flag
    #4319825 - 06/21/05 07:15 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

I like to meditate if I feel like the trip is getting too intense. Concentrating on your breathing is waaaay relaxing.

--------------------

Offlineheadset
Stranger
Re: What to do when a bad trip strikes [Re: anghellic]
    #4323511 - 06/22/05 01:08 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

anghellic said:
learn something from it.

Invisibleredgreenvines
irregular verb
 User Gallery

Re: What to do when a bad trip strikes [Re: HELLA_TIGHT]
    #4323765 - 06/22/05 04:39 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

HELLA_TIGHT said:
I like to meditate if I feel like the trip is getting too intense. Concentrating on your breathing is waaaay relaxing.

yes &
letting go
beggining to let go
continuing to let go
continuing to begin to let go
letting go.

--------------------
:confused: _ :brainfart:🧠  _ :finger:

Offlineheavensgate
Stranger
Re: What to do when a bad trip strikes [Re: redgreenvines]
    #4324178 - 06/22/05 10:03 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

I haven't had a bad trip yet, or a very intense trip...but if I am scared or nervous about something, I just listen to some relaxing and happy music, and it always puts me back in the right mindset and lets me know I'll be ok. something like Bob Marley, The Moody Blues, or The Beatles.

OfflineDubSak
jigga what

Loc: Dublin, CA
Re: What to do when a bad trip strikes [Re: heavensgate]
    #4347437 - 06/28/05 04:35 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

I have had only one bad trip but what helped me out was:

-Accept that bad trips can happen, and no matter how bad it seems it will end
-Smoking bud
-Having people tell me I was going to be ok
-Listening to mellow music(some Pink Floyd, and even some Bob Marley)
-Shower

I dont think there is a correct answer, as everyone is different, but I agree with most of the above advice

OfflineJon
Re: What to do when a bad trip strikes [Re: DubSak]
    #4347830 - 06/28/05 06:44 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

I have always found that what usually helps me out of a bad shroom trip is that inner voice that Terrence McKenna talks about in the archaic revival. I would pretty much consider that voice my mantra, mine usually is "Stay with me" I found that most of the time, the reason why im not having a good trip is because I never wanted to take the drug in the first place. I used to think that psychadelics were tools of amplifying life, when it was more like walking out of life for a short minute that feels like forever. You think you can handle the slight distortion in your reality until you completely lose it, letting a trip take you feels like your giving up your life. I believe that before tripping on shrooms or watever, its better to try to release your mentality of your worldly attachment, life being one of them, the ability to die in peace is the key to trip good IMO. I believe this because when you leave reality your pretty much leaving everything behind, friends, family. Or at a point it feels that way, it is better to die submissively then to struggle for the last breath. Desire I guess is a big factor, you dont know what you will lose during the trip until you stop tripping.
Insanity and enlightenment are truly 2 sides of the same coin, heaven can easily be seen as hell. Thats wat scares me.

Offlinelkfity315
First timetripper

Loc: south carolina
Re: What to do when a bad trip strikes [Re: ApOcaLyPSe_1985]
    #4349272 - 06/29/05 01:23 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

my first trip i started to feel really scared and anxious so i just told myself go with the flow alot in my head {i was alone} so i was thinking constantly and another thing that helped ALOT was listening to timothy learys guided trip i think "turn on tune in drop out" and i felt really good and dj shadow and ravi shanker helped alot. that song six days or one day is the shit when your tripping you can really feel the music it is hard to explain but i really did feel the music

--------------------
"My advice to people today is as follows: If you take the game of life seriously, if you take your nervous system seriously, if you take your sense organs seriously, if you take the energy process seriously, you must turn on, tune in, and drop out. "
Timothy Leary

OfflineCandyLand
Stranger
Re: What to do when a bad trip strikes [Re: lkfity315]
    #4349347 - 06/29/05 01:51 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

"This only ever happened to me once, by none other than ayahuasca..."

Same with me, there can be blood-pressure shit here that is life-threatening, not just in your head... One of the 5 worst experiences of my life. I think chewing betel-nut on the day of this disastrous one, might have been to blame.

I've also had very positive experiences on Aya. Diet, for some, is critical.

Offlinealsey

Re: What to do when a bad trip strikes [Re: Jon]
    #4349576 - 06/29/05 04:17 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Jon said:
the ability to die in peace is the key to trip good

:thumbup:

--------------------

OfflineGog
hapless andhappy

#4349781 - 06/29/05 07:38 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

I agree with the dying part. Enlightenment and insanity are really two "shades" of perspective on the same thing (release from the ego, or rationality). If you ingest psychedelic drugs you might as well hunker down and get ready for this.

If you're taking it just for kick then you'll be taught.

It's been said sixty jillion times in a squillion ways and I don't know why, but repeating ourselves is perhaps the only way to a bright future. (Tomorrow never comes)

InvisibleLeftyBurnz
Mr. I Eat Butthole
Male User Gallery

Loc: FL
    #4349938 - 06/29/05 09:16 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

ive only had a bad trip in the past 7 years of eating them, and it was my fault but it happened so fast i didnt realize what had happened, 2 years ago it started at work, i was starting to get a weird rash on parts of my body, arms, legs, back, chest, and my buddy decided that after work we were going to go to the cow field so i said ok even though i was itchy and uncomfortable, we found lots of tasty mushies, ate a couple on the way home and when i got home i had taken a benadryl for the rash, well i started tripping and everything was going great and i forgot i took the benadryl and that i even had a rash, i started drinking a couple beers like an idiot which mixed with the benadryl in a very bad way, we were outside and i lit up a smoke and as soon as i exhaled i blacked out and woke up face first in my parents pond with my friends dragging me out, thats when everything took a very scary turn, not only was i freaking out because i blacked out for what i thought to be no reason but i also cut my foot in the process so you can imagine what seeing blood gushing from your foot when youre tripping can do, so they got me inside and laid me in the tub and washed my foot and wrapped it in guaze and then it seemed like in a second everyone vanished, i guess i freaked em all out, so then im in the bathtub having the worst trip ever.... ALONE, i finally crawled out to the couch and put on some soothing music but it didnt help, that freaked me out too, so i went and hid under my covers on my bed and called my friend natalie and she came over in a hurry to be with me until my rents got home.... the rest of the night was horrible, turns out the rash was a result of my being allergic to a chemical in my nipple ring cleaner(which i had peirced about a week earlier, the chemical built up in my body until it finally affected me. scary shit.

--------------------

OfflineCandyLand
Stranger
Re: What to do when a bad trip strikes [Re: LeftyBurnz]
    #4352857 - 06/29/05 09:26 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Kill your parents.

Just a joke, don't kill your parents kids, It's wrong!

Edited by CandyLand (07/01/05 12:48 PM)

OfflineWysefool
I AM SKELETON JELLY
Male User Gallery
    #4354337 - 06/30/05 03:48 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

"Go with the flow"
Keep that phrase in mind at all times, no matter what happens accept it and move on because the truth isn't something you can change, all you can do is embrace it.

I think if a trip got really out of control a few choice Tool or A Perfect Circle songs could fix me up. Parabola comes to mind, "Embrace this moment, remember - we are eternal all this pain is an illusion!"

--------------------
]

Offlinesengoku
no stranger thanyou

Loc: planet earth
Re: What to do when a bad trip strikes [Re: Wysefool]
    #4354808 - 06/30/05 09:41 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

listen to music you love. that always works for me :smile:

(infected mushroom in particular!)

OfflineGog
hapless andhappy

Re: What to do when a bad trip strikes [Re: sengoku]
    #4354888 - 06/30/05 10:22 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

I like Death.

OfflineWeAreAllOne
Opethian

Loc: Pennsylvania
    #4354943 - 06/30/05 10:43 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

"Sit back, relax, let go." When a bad thought or feeling surfaces, the only thing that intensifies it is fighting it. Let go.

OfflineGamera

Loc: Nonlocal
Re: What to do when a bad trip strikes [Re: sengoku]
    #4354954 - 06/30/05 10:47 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

A lot depends on how far gone you are.

When really out there, Terence McKenna recommended singing, although that never worked for me. Thats a classic traditional ayahuasca approach.

He also recommended talking to the drug and asking it to lighten up. This actually does work for me. Say, out loud, "Hey, this is too heavy. Please lighten up on me." A lot of times it will actually help quite a bit, particularly with mushrooms.

For those ego death trips where the person was resisting, I've seen good results from actually increasing the dose. Back in the day the punks I bought acid from would always dose up if they started to get freaked. Leary actually recommended DMT for bad acid trips. I had speculated that nitrous might have a similar effect, but I've never tried it or seen it tried.

Change in environment helps. Change music, change location. Take a shower. If you are a sitter this is usually your best play. Stay really calm and resassuring and keep trying new stimuli.

Exercise, go for a walk, go for a run, get a bunch of endorphines going. This is great when your are not too far gone. Its pretty surprising how centering this is.

Remember that time is your ally. Keep reminding yourself of that. Thats where just taking it comes in. I had a memorable experience at a concert where a friend and I both dosed way too heavy and he ended up leaving the concert and running aimlessly through the city sans shirt, wallet, keys and mind. I found a place to pace up and down and gutted it out. I had been doing a fair bit of meditation at the time and that helped immeasurably. Not a fun night though, especially since he drove.

--------------------
Money is human happiness in the abstract; he, then, who is no longer capable of enjoying human happiness in the concrete devotes himself utterly to money.

Arthur Schopenhauer

Offlinebaraka
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: hyperspace Flag
    #4355069 - 06/30/05 11:31 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

I think your 1 and 2 sucks. Watching paramedics on tv on a headful of lsd would just seam super fake to me as all stuff on tv does.

I think you either have 2 options when things start getting rough.

If things are getting over the top psychadelically to handle JUST LET GO. Dont fight, your not going insnane, just let your ego go.

Or of its somthing lesser breath, try and slow your breathing down. Realize you are in a safe spot and try and slow your mind down

--------------------
This is the only time I really feel alive.

Offlinenitroguy
SeiZureS

Re: What to do when a bad trip strikes [Re: baraka]
    #4358557 - 07/01/05 05:30 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

After my first bad trip, my second was no easier to handle. No matter how much you prepare they are always difficult. What works for me is to either concentrate on my breathing, try to go to sleep, or challenge death.

Concentrating on breathing is the best since it can be done safely at almost any time.

If you are in a safe place (your home) I would recomend getting in your bed and trying to sleep. Although you probably wont go to sleep eventually your mind will drift to something else.

Challenge death if you up to it. Remember that you will not die from shrooms even though you may feel like it. This feeling is completely in your head IME. One time I seriously thought I was going to die so I was like, "Well, I guess its time, I'll just let them kill me." Only took like 10 minutes before I realized that no matter how shitty I felt, I wasn't going to die. So I did some laughing at death and then had an excellent trip.

Just remember that a bad trip is all in your head.

--------------------
...Weapons are meant for destruction,
and thus are avoided by the wise.
Only as a last resort
will a wise person use a deadly weapon.
If peace is her true objective
how can she rejoice in the victory of war?
Those who rejoice in victory
delight in the slaughter of humanity.
Those who resort to violence
will never bring peace to the world...

Lao-Tzu, "Tao Te Ching--31" trans. J.H. McDonald

Offlinealsey

Re: What to do when a bad trip strikes [Re: Gamera]
    #4358780 - 07/01/05 08:23 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Gamera said:
I had speculated that nitrous might have a similar effect, but I've never tried it or seen it tried.

my friend used it once in the middle of really bad spot. a minute later he was like 'wow, that's better'.

--------------------

Offlineeve69
--=..Did Adam and ...?=--
Male User Gallery

Loc: isle de la muerte Flag
    #4358811 - 07/01/05 08:46 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

yousuck said:Lock this mantra into your head,
"Im still breathing, im not dead".

I agree. The thing that made me get through many bad trips was the mantra, "It's just a drug and it will wear off."

That said, I recommend the Vajra Guru mantra which is said to be especially good for depression. Try chanting it if you're having a bad trip.

Om ah hum vajra guru pema siddhi hum.

That's about the only advice I've got.

Life is bliss.

--------------------
...or something

InvisibleCowgold
Bullshit

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: .
Re: What to do when a bad trip strikes [Re: eve69]
    #4360333 - 07/01/05 03:59 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

I have a safe word that I use that calms me down. like OHM or ZERO. and if I don't think about it... I have a momento like a lighter with a cool slogan that makes me smile. but it's gotta be simple. hope that helps because I do the exact same thing (internal dialogue) Mescaline makes it even worse. but it doesn't phase me as bad. Peace

--------------------
"You might not be aware of this, but there are a lot of dickheads on the Internet." - D. Wong

Invisiblebuckwheat
Cynically Insane

Loc: Not Enough Characters to ...
    #4361376 - 07/01/05 09:52 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

turn on some music and DANCE like you never have before. this worked for me once. i dont know about mushrooms sometimes mushrooms make me want to stay still and not move they might make you dizzy if you dance. but dancing is great on lsd with all that energy.

Offlineadamj
Superhero
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ontario, CAN
    #4361537 - 07/01/05 10:39 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Get up and start dancing!!!

I dropped acid once and when I was coming up I was getting the feeling of a bad trip looming around the corner. I knew I couldn't avoid it. So I grabbed some headphones, played Santana live at Woodstock and danced as crazy as I could in the middle of the night, in the middle of the woods.

Big grins after that.

OfflineHuckleBones
Danger Bones

Re: What to do when a bad trip strikes [Re: adamj]
    #4362044 - 07/02/05 01:00 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Grab a large knife.

--------------------
Manitou

OfflineBenKenobi
Enlightened 1
 User Gallery

Loc: Europe
Re: What to do when a bad trip strikes [Re: HuckleBones]
    #4365945 - 07/03/05 09:05 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Grab a large knife

If u havent got anything constructive to add dont feel like u need to respond with something stupid..

I normally just lay in a curled up position in the dirt and wait for it to pass, sometimes it only lasts a min then u happy as larry another time i was layin there for so long i had 2 emus come up to me and peck me, funny cos u tell yaself u never gunna consume mushies agian then soon as u feelin ok u cant wait for ya next trip :P
I wish i knew a good way to end a bad trip, think the key is to not let it happen to begin with, try and remian real positive and if u in a group and someone havin a bad trip try to get away from them (as long as they are being looked after) all my bad trips been brought on from negative thoughts, "shit jon is feelin like shit i wonder if im gunna start feelin liek that..."

--------------------
Old Ben

I beleive that my job in mappin the impulse pathways of a single neuron can allow us to open a mecca into the quailitative functions of the human geno...

Please support your local free spore ring by sendin back prints from successful grows, FSRE

OfflineFlashback
Captain Trips

Loc: God's empty chair
Re: What to do when a bad trip strikes [Re: BenKenobi]
    #4366167 - 07/03/05 11:03 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Take some valium. I got loads in Thailand for like 3 pence each. Just pop 2 of those babies and you'll fall straight to sleep.

--------------------
Now I have become one with the universe, at my will I can command the gods of moon and sun to tear open the matter of the universe and reveal the light of eternity. We shall walk through the crack of time and space and abandon all hope of physical feelings and emotions. We shall be the drifters of time; the wanderers of space and the beings that even the gods shall fear. Our minds will exist, emerging with whatever we wish and controlling whatever we desire.
Fear and emptiness no longer exist. We now live in a world of ecstasy and pleasure, freedom and sublime. We have reached Nirvana.

OfflineHuckleBones
Danger Bones

Re: What to do when a bad trip strikes [Re: Flashback]
    #4366784 - 07/03/05 04:07 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

I was playing with a large knife on my last trip and I was yelling "bad trip bad trip!"

Good ol' pan subbs.

--------------------
Manitou

Offlineherbage
Stoned as hell.

Loc: On the clouds.
    #4366913 - 07/03/05 05:16 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Sometimes when I start to geek, or have a bad trip. I just walk off by myself to take a "time out." Gather myself, and then press on. :stoned:

--------------------
"The lunatic is in my head."

Offlinecadam
The Extremist

#4366992 - 07/03/05 05:51 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

nice to see such good answers, except the one idiot, keep the thread up guys/gurls

love and peace and many good trips

xxx

--------------------

Offlineckyrock
Dreamer
    #4367747 - 07/03/05 10:42 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

finally im back to the forums after my last trip which was way too intense... 2months and im back... i must say that every tripper should at least have one bad trip... to avoid a bad trip.. you must learn what part of the "bad" trip was the worst: intense visuals, bad thoughts, loss of ego, feeling numb or cant move.. you have to learn what help to avoid or stop these from happening.. surprise seems to be the initiator or bad trips... not expecting what exactly happens.. thats why you must learn what bothers you.. embraces it and it will cease to bother you (takes some time)...

different things work for different people also.. some like to take a shower to stop a bad trip.. others like to think of silly stuff.... only by having a bad trip or two will you learn how to stop them... looking back... my two bad trips were very educational.. i learned of the evil in all people.. i had taken a very very hot bath.. and i was realy really red.. my friend knocked on the door to check on my and the stereo changed cds and started playing cradle of filth death metal... i looked in the mirror and saw satan.. it was actually me but i was staring at satan... and i became muttering "i could kill" over and over again.. i thought of killing my friend.. that night was hardcore.. but i realized that music really dictates me... many others too.. the really hard part though was like my last bad trip.. the visuals were hurting my eyes.. i could tell if my eyes were open or closed.. i wanted to die because i was hurting so bad.. i could not think of anything at all... the visuals were a a circle blob dividing into two like cells splitting... it was about 2000 or them over my vision.. everytime i would try to think of something i would see a word of what i was tryin to think.. it would turn into a blob and divide... the world was destroying itself... i learned from that never to lay down if you feel a bad trip coming on... sorry for the long post guys.. but i know this can help many of you

InvisibleVirgilKane
Miner for truth and delusion
 User Gallery

Loc: lowdown
Re: What to do when a bad trip strikes [Re: ckyrock]
    #4367871 - 07/03/05 11:32 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

GREAT post!!

--------------------
Absense of evidence is not evidence of absense...

"Religion is a defense against a religious experience"
              Carl G. Jung

"So really, ordinary reality is a kind of chemical habit, sanctioned by culture, which says it's okay to use certain drugs, eat certain foods, and have certain sexual behaviors. However, when you transcend all this pre-conditioning by returning to the original wisdom of the animal body, then you discover this immense dimension of opportunity. For some people, it is a frightening risk. To me, that's the psychedelic experience."
Terence McKenna

Offlineweathereporter88
Male

Re: What to do when a bad trip strikes [Re: VirgilKane]
    #4368202 - 07/04/05 01:00 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

I just had a 4 gram trip in the woods. I did a bowl right after eating. The whole trip was a real blur, I'm still recollecting parts of it. I can remember an unnatural, unexplained anxiety and discomfort. For 1 or 2 hours, I had to manually breathe which was freaky as hell, because I would forget to at times. After the rough come-up, I made myself get out of the hot-ass tent and hike around. It was like being born again. I'm still trying to discover what defeats, or at least eases, my bad trip. However, I've taken all your guys' advice and can't thank you enough. It has really raised my confidence and self-esteem to go back into the tripping.
If my 4g was tough, should I lower it down next time? I got 7g of mexi cub waiting to be divided and digested.

Offlineseatrip
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: What to do when a bad trip strikes [Re: weathereporter88]
    #4368716 - 07/04/05 05:32 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

when i trip out to much its not a mental or visual really its when i get physical hallucinations that i don't like or when a visual touches or goes through you and it feels so real and gut clenching. anyway I've seen 3 different times other people have seizures or pass out hitting the ground and there head usually wakening right away but once my friend was out for 2 min twitching and awakened smiling and said what as we all looked freaked out he had no recelection the other 2 times different people different shrooms they puked a while and was ok always in the summer out side ,i think its caused by heat maybe what do y'all think

OfflinePhoenix99
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: What to do when a bad trip strikes [Re: seatrip]
    #4369530 - 07/04/05 01:28 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Never had a bad trip myself. But then again the only hallucinogen I had was Salvia. One of the best reads this thread though.
You never know when such a trip might hit you.

OfflineHuckleBones
Danger Bones

Re: What to do when a bad trip strikes [Re: Phoenix99]
    #4370771 - 07/04/05 11:36 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

You guys are a bad trip.

--------------------
Manitou

OfflineYenpop
Midnight Toker

Loc: Georgia, US
Re: What to do when a bad trip strikes [Re: HuckleBones]
    #4370815 - 07/04/05 11:49 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

For me, I used to freak out , now whenever I feel one coming I on I just relax and just let anything and everything happen...I dont seem to care anymore

--------------------
"The infinite vibratory levels, the dimensions of interconnectedness are without end. There is nothing independent. All beings and things are residents in your awareness. " Alex Grey

Offlineprefloppro
Last Call
Re: What to do when a bad trip strikes [Re: Yenpop]
    #4371967 - 07/05/05 11:13 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Great thread. Thanks for all of the wonderful advice.

Offlinemntlfngrs
The Art of Casterbation
Male User Gallery

Re: What to do when a bad trip strikes [Re: headset]
    #4375664 - 07/06/05 12:25 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

headset said:
sit down and take it.

Haha. Thats what I was going to say. Not to be an ass but because I believe there is something there to be learned. There are no bad trips, some are just harder to take.

--------------------
Be all and you'll be to end all

Offlinemntlfngrs
The Art of Casterbation
Male User Gallery

Re: What to do when a bad trip strikes [Re: weathereporter88]
    #4375690 - 07/06/05 12:34 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

weathereporter88 said:
I just had a 4 gram trip in the woods. I did a bowl right after eating. The whole trip was a real blur, I'm still recollecting parts of it. I can remember an unnatural, unexplained anxiety and discomfort. For 1 or 2 hours, I had to manually breathe which was freaky as hell, because I would forget to at times. After the rough come-up, I made myself get out of the hot-ass tent and hike around. It was like being born again. I'm still trying to discover what defeats, or at least eases, my bad trip. However, I've taken all your guys' advice and can't thank you enough. It has really raised my confidence and self-esteem to go back into the tripping.
If my 4g was tough, should I lower it down next time? I got 7g of mexi cub waiting to be divided and digested.

I hate that breathing thing. Even when thinking about breathing I could not feel it. I was convinced that the nerves to my lungs were somehow severed. I had to sit with a mirror to my mouth so I could see my breath. It didn't help thast I was in the back of a gutted muscle car that was nothin but huge fuckin engine and a body with seats hauling ass down the road with the engine roaring. I thought I was riding in Stephen Kings Buick 8. Great book BTW "From a Buick 8"

--------------------

Offlinemntlfngrs
The Art of Casterbation
Male User Gallery

Re: What to do when a bad trip strikes [Re: BenKenobi]
    #4375704 - 07/06/05 12:40 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

the key is to not let it happen to begin with, try and remian real positive and if u in a group and someone havin a bad trip try to get away from them (as long as they are being looked after) all my bad trips been brought on from negative thoughts, "shit jon is feelin like shit i wonder if im gunna start feelin liek that..."

Man that is the truth! My experience is that a slight twinge turns to harsh trip because of our own mind dwelling on it. Like a snow ball effect you know? You feel that first little bit of difficulty just remember that it is a phase and it too shal pass. Whatever you do don't dwell on it. Easier said then done I know but don't get yourself caught in the loop, change your setting. I got to where I dare it to come on. Stare it straightin the face and it seems to melt away.

--------------------

Offlinephlegmbae
PhlegmaticPhlamboyant Phreak
Male
Loc: Ceased to Exist
Re: What to do when a bad trip strikes [Re: CandyLand]
    #4760193 - 10/05/05 06:21 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

Thorazine! It's worked for any kind of trip that gets more intense than intended.

--------------------
I'm a hole in time, in a time that's full of holes

OfflineThePredator
Your a eunich ifyou don't useunix!

Re: What to do when a bad trip strikes [Re: phlegmbae]
    #4760257 - 10/05/05 06:43 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

Bite the bear in the ass. it has always worked for me. Once before when I did too many 'shrooms everyhting kept turning into the alien from the movie alien vs. predator (worst pred movie made). So I finally decided to slap it. One bruised hand and a cracked speaker later (damn cheap plastic) I was lauphing my head off. But that probably doesn't work for everybody.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order