Home | Community | Message Board

Phytoextractum
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Psychedelic Experience

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Ayahuasca

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]
Offlinecadam
The Extremist

What to do when a bad trip strikes
    #4308303 - 06/17/05 07:01 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Only add a suggestion if it has worked for you before, don't copy stuff from websites, suggestions should only be provided by people who have had BAD trips (i also tend to trip alone most of the time). I personally feel that the most difficult part of a bad trip is listening to your self talking to your self in your head.

1 - I find watching a nature program takes away a bad trip

2 - Watching a team (usually paramedics) save a life on TV

please continue............

--------------------
If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could ever imagine

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlineheadset
Stranger
Re: What to do when a bad trip strikes [Re: cadam]
    #4308318 - 06/17/05 07:07 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

sit down and take it.

OfflineDrink_Punk_Soda
Now with ExtraVaganza!?
 Arcade Champion: Maeda Line, Moon Patrol

Loc: Nowhere fast
    #4308330 - 06/17/05 07:15 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

I definately get that "talking to yourself in your head" thing, although sometimes it's funny.. like "Why am I thinking about this? Don't think about it. Don't think about thinking!"

I find that the best way to overcome, at least, a bad trip is to try to get it into your head that it's happening, and that the mushrooms are doing it. I know most people are aware of that, but if you can remember that there's a reason for the trip happening (aside from whatever triggered/caused it) it makes it a lot easier to take in. It almost becomes like lucid dreaming at that point- you know what's going on isn't real, and you can act inside of a world you can't entirely control.

The WORST trips are the ones where you can't figure out WHY you're tripping, or what "tripping" is.

--------------------

Kumbayah my lord, Kumbayah...

InvisibleApOcaLyPSe_1985
Floatingbuildings in thesky...

Loc: The Netherlands
Re: What to do when a bad trip strikes [Re: Drink_Punk_Soda]
    #4308573 - 06/17/05 08:32 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

When your stuck on a bad thought force yourself to think positive. Like in the world of Peter Pan... "think happy thoughts."
I know it's hard to lose it, but you need to get rid of it before things get worse. The best thing you could do is to start talking about a random, but good subject to your friend(s). They reply and you get distracted. Eventually you forget what you we're making problems with. But when you trip alone try the following:

- Watch TV and put the volume way down.
- Change the music. You need slow, easy and relaxing music. Your mind needs to cool down.
- If you have a visualiser on a laptop or something then watch that.
- Don't lie down. It will make it worse as you will try to close your eyes most of the time which will increase the visuals and the bad feeling.
- Force yourself to calm down... it's not real. But if your into a problem that's true and you know it, then it's a bit harder. Try to tell yourself it's the work of the drugs. Go with the flow.
- Trips usually don't go bad with good friends. I wouldn't recommend tripping alone :p
- Drink some water, it will distract you. While doing the proces of drinking try to focus on the drinking only and change to another subject. It's hard to master, but once you get it you will forget the bad thing in no time.

Edited by ApOcaLyPSe_1985 (06/17/05 08:34 PM)

InvisibleHeavyToilet
The Heaviest OfThem All
Male

Loc: British Columbia
    #4308581 - 06/17/05 08:34 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

I've had some shady experiences before, but nothing bad.

I was able to turn them around before anything bad happened.

Distracting yourself from the thoughts is key.

InvisibleShroomOmatic
Ethno Apprentice
Male User Gallery
Loc: Sailing the Seas of Chees...
Re: What to do when a bad trip strikes [Re: headset]
    #4308648 - 06/17/05 08:48 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

headset said:
sit down and take it.

Yep Yep.

--------------------

InvisibleApOcaLyPSe_1985
Floatingbuildings in thesky...

Loc: The Netherlands
Re: What to do when a bad trip strikes [Re: ShroomOmatic]
    #4308728 - 06/17/05 09:11 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

I've heard that large doses of vitamin c would work against a bad trip. Is this true?

Offlinecadam
The Extremist

Re: What to do when a bad trip strikes [Re: ApOcaLyPSe_1985]
    #4308799 - 06/17/05 09:31 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Vit C would do something, but you would have to take more than the body could intake, so its a no go!

--------------------
If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could ever imagine

Offlinewrestler_az
PsiLLy BiLLy
Male User Gallery Arcade Champion: Chopper Challenge

Loc: day dreams of a mad man
    #4308925 - 06/17/05 10:04 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

the best thing to do is like has already been said, sit down and take it. theres lots to be learned during a "bad" trip. theres a good chance (or at least its been my experience) that once its all over with your "bad" trip quite possibly could be one of your best. try to remember your on drugs. theres a reason its not going so well....take time to try to figure it out if your are not too freaked out. if your too freaked out to try to deal with it....benzos are your friend.  :thumbup:

--------------------
how's your WOW?

Edited by yageman (04/20/06 4:20 PM) 

Offlineharpd
Passing By

Re: What to do when a bad trip strikes [Re: wrestler_az]
    #4309109 - 06/17/05 10:48 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Yeah, take a xanax and change the music. Just try to chill out and deal with your problems instead of distracting yourself from your issues with TV or a visualizer. I can't see how vitamin C would affect your thoughts at all, but maybe I'm misunderstanding that post.

--------------------
When you get the blanket thing you can relax because everything you could ever want or be you already have and are.

Offlinewrestler_az
PsiLLy BiLLy
Male User Gallery Arcade Champion: Chopper Challenge

Loc: day dreams of a mad man
Re: What to do when a bad trip strikes [Re: harpd]
    #4309311 - 06/17/05 11:49 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

its one of those urban myths as far as i know.

--------------------
how's your WOW?

Edited by yageman (04/20/06 4:20 PM) 

Offline3eyeswise
captain
Loc: lake county Florida
Re: What to do when a bad trip strikes [Re: wrestler_az]
    #4309884 - 06/18/05 02:37 AM (11 years, 5 months ago)

are zanex safe to help sleep?

--------------------
By questioning death I have found the answer to life.

OfflineKodath
strangerThan

Re: What to do when a bad trip strikes [Re: 3eyeswise]
    #4310270 - 06/18/05 08:38 AM (11 years, 5 months ago)

A change in music helps a lot, for me at least. When I start to feel negative thoughts coming up I turn on something like Antennas to Heaven by Godspeed You Black Emperor and flip on the Milkdrop visualization. I usually skip forward in the song to about the 10 minute mark, the really uplifting stuff starts there. Modest Mouse is good too, they have some nice laid back songs. Also Giving Up The Ghost or Midnight In A Perfect World by DJ Shadow.

--------------------

Life: Main event at the MGM Grand. Murphy's fighting Occam, and you're in the stands.

Offlinealsey
meet me in thedreamtimewater...

#4310279 - 06/18/05 08:52 AM (11 years, 5 months ago)

there are different kinds of bad trips, and i deal with them differently.

if it starts going bad before i've peaked, the only thing i would ever do is lie down in complete darkness and silence and breath, letting everything just flow. this will hopefully then lead to complete ego death. this happened to me just three days ago actually, when i ate 12 hits of acid. i came up insanely fast, and got terrified of completely losing myself. i called my friend round, and she read some of leary's 'the psychedelic experience' to me, while i just layed there, and before i knew it i had dissapeared into selfless ecstacy. this sort of 'bad trip' has only happened to me twice, on pretty high doses. i don't think this sort of thing happens on lower doses.

if it starts going bad during or soon after the peak, i don't know, i'd probably just go for a walk outside or something. this has never actually happened to me, however.

most often, 'bad trips' hit me on the come-down. i just start getting depressed and stuff, not really wanting to return to reality. i usually resolve this with a healthy dose of marijuana, and meditating on the the third bardo instructions from the psychedelic experience.

i would have to say, the best thing you can possibly do if you feel a 'bad trip' coming on is to let it happen. just accept everything that comes and don't try and distract your mind from it. distracting yourself and fighting the trip, at the very best, will push your fears and insecurities back into the depths of your brain, ready to strike again some other time. this is especially true with higher doses. on lower doses, you can get away with fighting the trip, but with a big dose you damn well better surrender to it or it will get nasty. if you do this, you'll probably find the 'bad trip' becomes beautiful and very productive.

finally, never forget to breath deeply. concentrate on breathing, feel the air flowing in and out, this can be very relaxing. remember that its your own conciousness you are experiencing - there is nothing to be afraid of.

--------------------
"Gently return to the simple physical sensation of the breath. Then do it again, and again, and again. Somewhere in this process, you will come face-to-face with the sudden and shocking realization that you are completely crazy. Your mind is a shrieking, gibbering madhouse on wheels." - ven. henepola gunaratana

Edited by alsey (06/18/05 09:05 AM)

Invisibleyousuck
Stranger

Re: What to do when a bad trip strikes [Re: alsey]
    #4310730 - 06/18/05 01:59 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

apparently none of you have had a true bad trip if your simply suggesting to "accept it and let it happen". A truly bad trip is not one where you simply cant or dont want to handle the experience. for those who cant handle these types of meager bad trips, they shouldnt be taking these chemicals in the first place.

A true bad trip is one where your mind starts to see death and loses control over your bodily functions. Your heart beats at deadly speeds, you cant tell whether you've soiled yourself or not, the skin becomes deathly clammy and you start losing internal heat, you in essence know that if it persists, your going to physically die.

This only ever happened to me once, by none other than ayahuasca.

What to do? for one, make sure someone is around to call an ambulance if you start to die. Make sure that someone is supportive and doesnt just stand around and watch you in this tortured state, as in my case. You start to know who your friends really are under these conditions.

While you cant truly know how to deal with a near death experience till you've had one, i would say to try your best to lock this mantra into your brain as your one and only thought:

"Im still breathing, im not dead".

OfflineGreenOsiris
Stranger

Re: What to do when a bad trip strikes [Re: yousuck]
    #4311181 - 06/18/05 05:25 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

All of my bad experiences seem to be during peak or come-up, usually panicky feelings or anxiety, and always when I am with other people. I find the best thing to do is to just go by myself for a little bit and focus mentally on what is transpiring, realize that sometimes things suck but yeah just deal with it. I can't speak for the bad-trips where ego-loss is imminent because I have yet to go that far, but I have had "bad-trips" and just getting away from everything and letting my mind go free seems to help me

Offlinegnrm23
Carpal Tunnel
Loc: n. e. OH, USSA
Re: What to do when a bad trip strikes [Re: GreenOsiris]
    #4311226 - 06/18/05 05:40 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

if you are unable to obtain a prescription benzo such as valium or xanax, many people find that 250 milligrams of niacinamide (a "non-flushing" form of vitamin B3) can help quite a bit...
also it is possible that an antihistamine like compazine, diphenhydramine, phenergan, bonine, etc. can help...

& if you do a little search (utfse) you might find that this very Q has been asked hundreds of times before...

--------------------
old enough to know better
not old enough to care

Offlinealsey
meet me in thedreamtimewater...

Re: What to do when a bad trip strikes [Re: yousuck]
    #4311720 - 06/18/05 09:07 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

the path leading up to ego death can be a hellish nightmare; perhaps the scariest thing you can possibly face. if you reach this state, fighting it will only make it worse. you have to totally accept what is happening to you and become what you most fear...and then there is bliss.

as i said, on lower doses, you can get away with fighting a trip and distracting yourself.

you're not going to physically die from taking mushrooms or acid. they are extremely non-toxic. strange physical sensations felt on a trip are a product of the mind; lsd and psilocybin don't do anything to the rest of your body.

it sounds to me like you're saying a 'truly bad trip' is one where you fight the trip and gets worse - i.e. you don't want the trip to happen. if you just let it flow, it probably wouldn't become what you call a 'truly bad trip'.

--------------------
"Gently return to the simple physical sensation of the breath. Then do it again, and again, and again. Somewhere in this process, you will come face-to-face with the sudden and shocking realization that you are completely crazy. Your mind is a shrieking, gibbering madhouse on wheels." - ven. henepola gunaratana

Offlinedointhatrag
Stranger
Re: What to do when a bad trip strikes [Re: alsey]
    #4311770 - 06/18/05 09:22 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Quicksilver Messenger Service - Happy Trails

"Some trails are happy ones,
Others are blue.
It's the way you ride the trail that counts,
Here's a happy one for you.

Happy trails to you,
Until we meet again.
Happy trails to you,
Keep smilin' until then.

Who cares about the clouds when we're together?
Just sing a song, and bring the sunny weather.

Happy trails to you,
Til we meet again."

Short song, but definitely did the trick for me.

Offlinemoonlightdrift
Dramatic butTrue
 User Gallery

Loc: If I knew I'd tell ya
Re: What to do when a bad trip strikes [Re: dointhatrag]
    #4311852 - 06/18/05 09:47 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

instead of xanax, try seroquil. it's an anti psychotic. it will not only make you sleep, but it will make you stop tripping. if you can find it, it's also cheaper than xan b/c it's not recreational.

--------------------

I swear I didn't do it

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]

Amazon Shop for: Ayahuasca

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Psychedelic Experience