Home | Community | Message Board

The Spore Depot
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleYoungBuck
Solid Dude in Solitude
Male User Gallery

Double Tub Mistakes
    #4306885 - 06/17/05 10:06 AM (11 years, 5 months ago)

I'm doing my first bulk grow following eatyualive's double tub tek and I have made some mistakes along the way.  First off here is the info on the 2 tubs I have incubating currently:

Tub A:
  Size: 12"X12"X12"
  Sub: Tenn. Stud H/poo (approx. 3 lbs.) at a depth of 3"
  Spawn: 3 pints of fully colozined popcorn
  Strain: African
  Incubation temp: low 70's (couldn't fit this one in my TiT)

Tub B:
  Size: 15"X11"X12"
  Sub: Tenn. Stud H/poo (approx 2 lbs.) at a depth of 1.25"-1.5"
  Spawn: 2 pints of fully colonized WBS
  Strain: Ban Hau Thanon
  Incubation temp: 79-82 degrees

Today makes the 11th day of incubation.  The tops and most of the sides are fully colonized on both tubs, however the bottoms of both of them have small amounts of water standing underneath.  Both tubs still show signs of growth (I marked the outside of the tubs with a sharpie marker so I could judge this) however it is horribly slow (around 1/8" to 1/4" growth in the last 5 days).  Tub B appears to be knotting up pretty heavily and from my experience with other grows in the past I think it will begin pinning in the next day or two.

I believe my first mistake was not adding a trash bag under the sub so that the moisture collects underneath of it.  My second mistake would be putting the polyfil in the holes before incubation, allowing too much air flow.  Thirdly, I added about 15-20% saturated, sterilized verm to the poo and I believe this is part of the reason for the excess moisture. 

I opened both containers this morning to inspect them and noticed no strange smells or colors coming from the sub.  My question is this, should I continue to wait for the poo to fully colonize or should I go ahead and add the casing layer and put the other tub on top and hope for the best.

Also my next grow is approaching quickly (9 pints of SA on WBS spawned to 5 lbs of poo in a 50 quart container) and if anyone has any tips on how to make things go smoother I would certainly appreciate it.  Thanks in advance, I have had great success with other methods due to the great people here and have no doubt you guys will steer me in the right direction now as well.  :smile:

--------------------
Who wants to live with one foot in hell just for the sake of nostalgia?  Our time is forever NOW!

2010 Southeast Gathering Thread

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleYoungBuck
Solid Dude in Solitude
Male User Gallery

Re: Double Tub Mistakes [Re: YoungBuck]
    #4308687 - 06/17/05 08:59 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

:confused: Bump for the evening members.

--------------------
Who wants to live with one foot in hell just for the sake of nostalgia?  Our time is forever NOW!

OfflineWronguy
Trusted Cultivator
    #4308747 - 06/17/05 09:17 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

I can give some pretty good insight on what you need to do, but not right this second. I'll chime in tomorrow morning, if you can wait. I have 3 successful grows under my belt using Eatualive's Double Tub tek and I can already see some problems with your grow.

I'm about 30 minutes into a nice cup of EQ tea. I am having difficulty typing this message as it is. Thank god for a spell checker.

InvisibleYoungBuck
Solid Dude in Solitude
Male User Gallery

Re: Double Tub Mistakes [Re: Wronguy]
    #4309899 - 06/18/05 02:43 AM (11 years, 5 months ago)

No rush. Hope you are enjoying your "vacation" and look forward to your advice.

--------------------

OfflineWronguy
Trusted Cultivator
    #4310608 - 06/18/05 12:44 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

YoungBuck said:
  I'm doing my first bulk grow following eatyualive's double tub tek and I have made some mistakes along the way.  First off here is the info on the 2 tubs I have incubating currently:

Tub A:
  Size: 12"X12"X12"
  Sub: Tenn. Stud H/poo (approx. 3 lbs.) at a depth of 3"
  Spawn: 3 pints of fully colozined popcorn
  Strain: African
  Incubation temp: low 70's (couldn't fit this one in my TiT)

That's good. No artificial temperature intervention is required as long as you can keep the tub in a room that has temps between 68-74 degrees.

Tub B:
  Size: 15"X11"X12"
  Sub: Tenn. Stud H/poo (approx 2 lbs.) at a depth of 1.25"-1.5"
  Spawn: 2 pints of fully colonized WBS
  Strain: Ban Hau Thanon
  Incubation temp: 79-82 degrees

Pull the tub out of the incubator and allow them to do their job in the aforementioned temps.

Today makes the 11th day of incubation.  The tops and most of the sides are fully colonized on both tubs, however the bottoms of both of them have small amounts of water standing underneath.  Both tubs still show signs of growth (I marked the outside of the tubs with a sharpie marker so I could judge this) however it is horribly slow (around 1/8" to 1/4" growth in the last 5 days).  Tub B appears to be knotting up pretty heavily and from my experience with other grows in the past I think it will begin pinning in the next day or two.

Tub B should not be pinning if your are still in the middle of your spawn run. Since the temps will be low with setting them in the room, you need to make sure and eliminate the other 2 pinning triggers. That's light and fresh air exchange.

Yes, a trash bag should have been used to prevent pooling on the sides and bottom, but your beyond that now so let's focus on the problem. Since you already have the top and sides of the substrate colonized, you may want to consider putting your casing layer on, and fruit. This depends on what percentage of horse manure is still uncolonized. If you have 20% or less and it's all on the bottom, go ahead and case.

I believe my first mistake was not adding a trash bag under the sub so that the moisture collects underneath of it.  My second mistake would be putting the polyfil in the holes before incubation, allowing too much air flow. 

The poly-fill needs to be present in ALL the holes. During incubation you'll place either a sleeping bag or trash bag over the tub. This will prevent fresh air exchange, but allow CO2 expulsion. What I usually do is take a black 30 gallon trash bag and cover the top up. The trash bag will come down the sides to the bottom poly-fill hole level and is tacked in place with scotch tape. Basically I am sealing the tub up from trash bag to trash bag, except the inner trash bag is inside. The bottom holes will not be covered by the exterior trash bag, just the top ones.

This tub needs to be kept somewhere fairly dark and left alone for 4-5 days during the spawn run. It's recommended to tape the lips of the two tubs together to prevent knocking it over. Fresh air and light will be at a minimal with a trash bag covering the double tubs.

Thirdly, I added about 15-20% saturated, sterilized verm to the poo and I believe this is part of the reason for the excess moisture. 

Adding vermiculite to the mix is completely unnecessary and will cause a bit of excessive moisture. Added moisture is not needed during the spawn run. The mycelium will pull everything it needs from the horse manure/straw. Next time skip this step all together.

I opened both containers this morning to inspect them and noticed no strange smells or colors coming from the sub. 

You should only be opening the container two times once you have started your spawn run. Once to case and once to harvest. That's it. No exceptions. Your using clear tubs so you don't have to open it. Next time leave them shut.

My question is this, should I continue to wait for the poo to fully colonize or should I go ahead and add the casing layer and put the other tub on top and hope for the best.

Put the other tub on top? This needs to be done from the start. There are no modifications here. The double tub tek requires that the 2 tubs are always on top of each other, at all times. Failure to do this may stall you spawn from fully colonizing. Enough room needs to be given for CO2 expulsion to build up and leave the container.

Providing too little room will cause an excess buildup and slow the process of growth. It's just like your colonizing jars of WBS. Ever wonder why they stall sometimes and the bottom just won't colonize? It's because the CO2 has nowhere to go.

Also my next grow is approaching quickly (9 pints of SA on WBS spawned to 5 lbs of poo in a 50 quart container) and if anyone has any tips on how to make things go smoother I would certainly appreciate it.  Thanks in advance, I have had great success with other methods due to the great people here and have no doubt you guys will steer me in the right direction now as well.  :smile:

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation