Home | Community | Message Board

Kratom Eye
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Psychedelic Experience

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Perlite, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineIgor
Shaved Ape
Male

Loc: Crystal Lake
real-time chronicals leading to almost-first-time psilocybin tripping
    #4305502 - 06/16/05 10:27 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

In this thread I will chronicle my experiences leading up to, during, and consequences of my first, I hope, well-prepared  :mushroom2: trip. My reason is to aid my personal understanding of the process, and to share these experiences with anyone interested. I am also open to any suggestions, from those with ideas/experiences, to aid in my approach.

Introduction:
I hope that a brief introduction will put my situation into context, some things I write because they may be relevant to my set.
I am a physics student in the UK, my second year has just come to an end, and I?m thus awaiting results. I am also awaiting a trial for a trivial crime of which I believe I am not guilty. Some of my friends, including my girlfriend, and similar to myself, do not yet fully understand the use of psychedelics in spiritual or meditative ways, and in some cases are somewhat against them. I have, however just read for the first time ?The Psychedelic Experience? manual, and intend to study, trip reports, FAQs, forum posts, etc, as often as possible before my trip. Other friends use drugs, but can be reckless; these are therefore not people I wish to include in my journey at the moment. My initial thoughts lead me to think that I?ll be better off tripping alone.

Experience of Psychedelics
I have used drugs in the past, cannabis on numerous but infrequent occasions. Usually causing positive effects, relaxation, giggles, immense appreciation of music and certain film (I suggest Bodysong for it?s excellent images and music, and Monty Python?s Meaning of Life I found to be hilarious, having previously not understood any of the jokes with any great depth), sometimes I?ve had negative effects such as paranoia, feelings of inadequacy, depression.
I have also, on three occasions, used psilocybin-containing mushrooms. I was relatively unprepared for these trips. One trip alone on my largest dose of 30g fresh caused depressing scary thoughts, and I was scared out of it, clinging to my ego by attempting to communicate with friends on the Internet. The other two times I had half this amount and was with my brother whilst visiting him in Holland, these were better experiences, but were quite sociable and grounding whereas I would now like to experience something more personal, spiritual and enlightening. I?ve written about the trips more specifically in other threads.

June 17th 2:57am
I decided to start this thread having just read, for the first time, ?The Psychedelic Experience? manual in the Erowid site Library. I am intending to grow the mushrooms myself, which I think will be more rewarding. I already have most of the equipment required in the PF-tek and ?Fat Stem? spores have been dispatched from Smart Botanics.
I will write in the coming days/weeks about the growing process, and my progress in learning. I am assuming my success in growing the mushrooms to trip, this is an attempt to be positive, I don?t mind if I?m unsuccessful as long as I learn from it in the process.
I?m too tired at the moment to write any more, and will probably write more details about my preparation to grow later on today; it has become a fascination of mine, and although I?ve practically no money, I?ve felt compelled to pursue this art for some time.

Laterz and thanks for reading. :smile:

--------------------
My vision fell upon the seven tall candles upon the table. At first they wore the aspect of charity, and seemed white slender angels who would save me: but then all at once there came a most deadly nausea over my spirit, and I felt every fibre in my frame thrill, as if I had touched the wire of a galvanic battery, while the angel forms became meaningless spectres, with heads of flame, and I saw that from them there would be no help.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineIgor
Shaved Ape
Male

Re: real-time chronicals leading to almost-first-time psilocybin tripping [Re: Igor]
    #4306822 - 06/17/05 08:48 AM (11 years, 5 months ago)

June 17th 1:42pm
My initial inclination for mycology came about two months ago; this was in the time leading to my exams, for which I was also unprepared. I decided I should wait until I had time to concentrate. I?m probably going to be ready to begin growing as soon as the spores arrive, probably in about one week.
I will now discuss the stuff I've got together.
First stop was Holland and Barrett, where I found 500g brown rice flour, at ?0.99. I then went to Wilkinson where I bought antibacterial soap (Cheap washing-up liquid) and Dettol disinfectant, which was the first one with Isopropyl alcohol, so should be good enough. Also some drinking glasses, a bunch of cloths and some kitchen foil.
From Homebase (DIY and garden) I bought:
10 litre Vermiculite @ ?4.99 in ?fine grade?. Several assistants assured me that ?this is the way it comes? and I wouldn?t find it in a larger grain size. I think it was assumed that everyone is using the stuff for drainage. I wasn?t prepared at this point to talk about my intended use. (The main use of Vermiculite in growing mushrooms is to provide an airy medium with large surface where germination occurs, and the mycelium grows)
10 litre Perlite @ ?4.99, to use to help humidify the fruiting chamber.
Thermometer @ ?2.99, I probably wont be incubating the cakes this time, my crap little student room offers awkward space for this, also I am trying to spend as little as possible. I will keep track of the temperature and use it to experiment with locations etc.
Humidity Dial @ 2.99. Also for learning and experimentation.
After deciding the drinking glasses were to tall and not the right size, I found in Asda the exact containers I was looking for, 250ml round plastic tubs with lids @ about 30p each I got 8, can?t go wrong. I wont be able to pressure cook with these. I read about sterilizing in a pan at atmospheric pressure, not as effective, but reasonable for my first attempt.
I also got there a mixing bowl and plastic spoon, but forgot a measuring jug.
From Smart Botanics as I mentioned earlier, I have ordered ?Fat Stem? spore syringe, which was dispatched a couple of days ago. This cost 15.75 euro, about ?10.

I?ve currently spent about ?32, nothing really, even for the end products, but also for the enjoyment in growing, and the sense of achievement.
I?m quite concerned about the hygiene in my room, which is a breeding ground for bacteria, and full of dust, I will be looking for ideas about where to keep the jars as they colonise. I?m thinking in a section of the cupboard disinfected and lined with foil and covered with some loose cloth or towel.

--------------------
My vision fell upon the seven tall candles upon the table. At first they wore the aspect of charity, and seemed white slender angels who would save me: but then all at once there came a most deadly nausea over my spirit, and I felt every fibre in my frame thrill, as if I had touched the wire of a galvanic battery, while the angel forms became meaningless spectres, with heads of flame, and I saw that from them there would be no help.

OfflinePsiloman
Male
Loc: Europe
Re: real-time chronicals leading to almost-first-time psilocybin tripping [Re: Igor]
    #4307920 - 06/17/05 04:29 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Oh if you are into reading,and you finished with Ol' Timmy's Psychedelic Experience ,get yourself some more serious,yet eye opening material.

Have a go at it : http://www.erowid.org/psychoactives/guides/handbook_lsd25.shtml

It never meant to be "pleasant" or "easy read" ,but as the title says its a handbook ,that can implemented tyo any psychedelic!

OfflineTurricaN
Grasshopper
Loc: Apeldoorn, Netherlands
Re: real-time chronicals leading to almost-first-time psilocybin tripping [Re: Psiloman]
    #4310493 - 06/18/05 11:55 AM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Sounds interesting Igor!  I also read the PF-Tek and I'll probably be growing some too once I return to the UK.  It will be interesting to hear how your experience turns out. :smile:

The handbook also looks very interesting too!  Going to give that a read tonight.  Thanks for the link Psiloman.

OfflineIgor
Shaved Ape
Male

Re: real-time chronicals leading to almost-first-time psilocybin tripping [Re: TurricaN]
    #4338947 - 06/26/05 01:00 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Spores Arrived  :syringe:
The spores arrived on Wednesday 22 June, a little earlier than I expected. The package appeared reasonable inconspicuous, a white card box, although the company label was suggestive ?Smart Botanics, Netherlands?, and the porter commented jokily. Inside the box, the spore syringe was contained in a sealed plastic baggy, seemed OK.

Preparation and sterilization
On Friday 24 June, I started preparing the jars and substrate. First I needed to make holes in the jar lids, since the lids are plastic I used a heated wire coat hanger, which worked well. Four holes on each jar equally spaced near the edge of the lids. I then prepared the substrate mixture, as I?ve said; using the PF-tek with vermiculite and brown rice flour, in rough proportions 3.5 parts to 1 respectively. Water was added just enough to fill the capacity of the mixture, leaving it soaked but with little excess water.

I made enough mixture for 4 jars because my pot was only big enough for 4. In each jar I spooned in enough mixture to fill to about an inch or so below the rim. I have read it is important to no press the mixture down, this leave spaces for growth and ventilation, and also to wipe the rim clean, as this is often where infection begins. I added a top layer of dry vermiculite to stop contaminant. I put on the lids and covered them with aluminium foil squares.

I used small pieces of cloth to separate the jars from the bottom of the pot. While sterilizing these first 4, the pot dried up and the jar melted to the cloth, should be OK for this time, but the jars are probably ruined with respect to any further use. The second four I was more careful with adding water every 15 mins or so. I sterilized each set of jars for about 90 mins.

I left all the jars to cool over night in a large plastic Tupperware container; I left the lid on but loose.

Inoculating substrate with spores
This I did the following afternoon. I managed to clean and disinfect the draining surface by the sink in our communal kitchen, beside all the other dirt and junk I didn?t have time to clean up. I wore a dust mask to protect the jars from contaminants in my breath and I washed and disinfected my hands. I labelled the jars 1 ? 8 on the foil lids, the first and second batch were mixed and I have a feeling the second four were sterilized better.

I took out the syringe and with a lighter sterilized the needle; I?m worried that I should have done this between each jar also to compensate for all the likely airborne bacteria occurring in our kitchen, but I was hurried in case any more housemates came in and became suspicious or something. My housemate, who is Chinese, came in briefly and disappeared as quickly looking suspicious. He would?ve probably assumed it was some kind of experiment related to my uni work.

The foil lids I removed and put to the side upside-down, then replaced after inoculation.
Anyway I tried to distribute the spores equally, I shook the syringe to disperse them. I attempted to introduce about 1.25ml into each jar, which proved harder than it sounds in the awkward environment of my kitchen. Jar one got about twice this amount. There was enough to go round all the 8 jars, although not much in jar 8. I?m expecting this jar to colonize slowly or not at all.

The jars I placed in a chamber I had prepared in a section of my wardrobe. The section was washed and disinfected and lined with foil. I put the thermometer and humidity dial in there too; they don?t really serve any purpose, just for my records and it also looks pretty cool. I then covered the whole section loosely with a clean cloth. I?ll report back when anything starts growing.
Laterz  :smile:

--------------------

InvisibleStonerguy
I smoke penis
Male

Loc: Lost
    #4340548 - 06/26/05 11:24 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Good luck on your grow bro, sounds like you will be ready for the great experience that lies befor you!!!

--------------------
yawn...
SG

OfflineIgor
Shaved Ape
Male

Re: real-time chronicals leading to almost-first-time psilocybin tripping [Re: Stonerguy]
    #4369142 - 07/04/05 12:43 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Monday, 4th July.
It has now been around 9 days. I could've expected as much, there's yet no signs of any growth of anything. I at least expected mould or some kind of bacterium.

The temperature has stayed around room-temperature, 72 ish F,
but has been higher. The humidity was, to begin with, about 80%, now around 65%.

Yesterday I loosened the lids on 4 of the jars to see if it made any difference. Can anyone suggest what I should do... Wait?, perhaps put some jars in a warmer position?.

The whole spore suspension went in so there's definitely plenty of spores in the jars.

One more thing. If the substrate contained too much water, could this have ruined it? I thought I roughly put only enough water for the verm to hold, but at the bottom of each jar is a mushy lookin layer, up to a few mm from the bottom.

Any suggestions, much appreciated, cos I really wanted this to work, so I could trip, grr.

--------------------

Edited by Igor (07/04/05 12:44 PM)

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Perlite, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Psychedelic Experience