Home | Community | Message Board

Magic-Mushrooms-Shop.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisiblecrazytalken
SELECT
 User Gallery

Sawdust to start?
    #4300996 - 06/15/05 07:16 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Hey fellow shroomers!
I have just recently became very interested in growing edible and medical mushrooms. I have grown other kinds  :wink: in the past. I came across this today while searching the shroomery  Table top mushroom growing  Shouldn't the sawdust be PC'ed?!

I live in an apartment but would like to try this out on the small scale to see where it takes me. I figure i will have to do the sawdust method considering I'm not on a piece of land with trees. (at the moment)

Based on what I've read i should plan on growing oyster (Pleurotus species) and/or shiitake (Lentinus edodes) to start with. I would also like to try maitake (Grifola frondosa) for the medicinal value. If anyone could give me advice or direct me towards a better method to start with i would greatly appreciate it.

--------------------
**"Both the psychedelic dream state and the waking psychedelic state acquire great import because they reveal to life a task: to become familiar with this dimension that is causing being, in order to be familiar with it at the moment of passing from life." -Terence McKenna

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinefalcon
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Sawdust to start? [Re: crazytalken]
    #4301167 - 06/15/05 08:11 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Shouldn't the sawdust be PC'ed?!

Some use pellet fuel as is, it gets really hot when they are made.
I PC it. If you're going to make sawdust blocks you will want
to supplement it anyway to up your yeild.

Supplements are ussually ground grain but you can use anything that
will add nitrogen.

Invisiblecrazytalken
SELECT
 User Gallery

Re: Sawdust to start? [Re: falcon]
    #4301672 - 06/15/05 10:23 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

So sawdust and BRF would be a start?

--------------------
**"Both the psychedelic dream state and the waking psychedelic state acquire great import because they reveal to life a task: to become familiar with this dimension that is causing being, in order to be familiar with it at the moment of passing from life." -Terence McKenna

Offlinexburn
V card
    #4302595 - 06/16/05 03:47 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

sawdust and wheat bran or oat bran. the bran is high protein high cellulose and high N. plus not to expensive at wild oats or your local bulk food store

--------------------
Check out the official MushroomWiki at http://www.mushroomwiki.com. Stop by and contribute.

Offlinefalcon
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #4302684 - 06/16/05 06:05 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Yes, though as xburn said, brans would be better. It also
helps to add wood shavings or small chips to improve the
texture of the block.

Invisiblecrazytalken
SELECT
 User Gallery

Re: Sawdust to start? [Re: falcon]
    #4303899 - 06/16/05 01:59 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Thanks guys. Does anyone here grow commercially? Is it possible to start from home or is a separate place needed. I know Ive read past post about growing and selling edible mushrooms to restaurants and farmers markets. Is it possible to do this on a smaller scale and bring in some extra legit money?

--------------------

Offlinewideweb
fungisist
 User Gallery

#4306304 - 06/17/05 12:32 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Is it possible to do this on a smaller scale and bring in some extra legit money?

NO.

Offlinemattymonkey
Feel Like aStranger...
 User Gallery

Re: Sawdust to start? [Re: wideweb]
    #4306776 - 06/17/05 05:58 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

why not?

i totally believe that a small scale oyster op setup in one or two martha's could create a good amount of fresh mushrooms... upwards to 10lbs a week, sure why not? just need to know what you are doing... it seems people around here are already doing this sort of thing..

but you need to start somewhere... and there is a bit of a learning curve.. start making spawn! get some setup going and just start doing it.. only way you will learn

good luck! :thumbup:

Offlinewideweb
fungisist
 User Gallery

Re: Sawdust to start? [Re: mattymonkey]
    #4307002 - 06/17/05 09:23 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

The income from 2 Martha's will never cover the expenses: substrate, rent, heating/cooling, car, fuel etc.

Offlinewaixingren
Male User Gallery

Loc: SW Florida
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Sawdust to start? [Re: wideweb]
    #4307186 - 06/17/05 10:20 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

wideweb said:
The income from 2 Martha's will never cover the expenses: substrate, rent, heating/cooling, car, fuel etc.

i highly doubt anyone would choose to have a small scale grow as their primary job

--------------------

Invisiblecrazytalken
SELECT
 User Gallery

#4307982 - 06/17/05 02:48 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

mattymonkey said:
... it seems people around here are already doing this sort of thing...

Ive noticed the same...When i was talking about making money i wasnt talking a career. For me it would only have to beat my shitty part time minimum wage job.  :wink: I was really just asking if i could produce enough to maybe supply a few people/places (chefs, Farmers markets) and make some connections. I could have the room to expand if I really got into it (7 acres).  Its really just a fun idea for me.

Ive been tryin to learn as much as i can. Ive spent my past few nights reading for hours everything i can find. The shroomery and mush-world cannot be touched by any other resources IMO. I plan on putting the knowledge to action as soon as im done with my current grow project. Thanks for the input guys...

--------------------

Offlinemattymonkey
Feel Like aStranger...
 User Gallery

#4308134 - 06/17/05 03:44 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

good luck, and welcome! :smile:

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #4310466 - 06/18/05 09:36 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

You might look in the yellowpages under 'sawdust'. I found a listing there in my city. They use it for landscaping and playgrounds. I actually got Alder and Douglas Fir sawdust that way. Another thing I've found is that coir works as well or better than sawdust, and the wood lovers really like the chunky type coir you get at pet stores. It's expensive, so you'll never make any money using it as a substrate, but it's ok to use while you're learning the ropes.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck